Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Likelihood of Finding a Job from these Courses

Options
  • 22-03-2012 10:45pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,608 ✭✭✭

Hi, I'm considering what courses I am interested in for college and was wondering what are the chances of finding a job from the following courses nowadays:

1. Actuarial Science
    2. Finance & Economics

>No clue at all about this :eek:

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,662 ✭✭✭RMD

Pretty good as long as you do the work. Quinn school has a pretty good reputation (E&F) while the A&F course is also held in very high regard too, of the 2 people I know who've done it both left UCD with a guaranteed job.

If you piss around and do nothing, get a poor degree etc then obviously you'll have little chance. Get a good degree, get involved in co-curricular stuff and you'll quite likely leave with a job guaranteed. 2 very good courses for job prospects, if you don't have one upon leave you could do the MSc Finance in Smurfit, further improving your chances.

• Registered Users Posts: 432 ✭✭Yuugib

Most students in A&F have a job waiting for them before they finish their 4th year. Bear in mind, you need to get good number of exemptions through out the degree. Once you start working, with every actuarial exam you pass, you get an increase in your wages.

I don't think there is any such "exemption" talk in Finance and Economics, unless you are going into accountancy or something.

I advise you to research this further and see if A&F will be suitable for you, as it's a hard course to take on. I'm loving it though.

Advertisement