Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

BTEA & Grants

Options
  • 22-03-2012 10:54pm
    Registered Users Posts: 57 ✭✭

Lets just say I get accepted into a 3/4 years degree course. Are you eligible for the weekly BTEA, maintenance fee of €300 at the start of every academic year as well as having the tuition fee/student contribution paid for each of the 3/4 years? (assuming you have received social welfare payments for over 9 months and a mature student). However you got accepted into the course via your Leaving Certificate results?

Thanks

D.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,280 ✭✭✭paperclip2

Hi Dexter.

It doesn't matter how you got the course place,the important thing is that you have it and that you fulfill the BTEA criteria as regards age and length of time on social welfare.
    Hope this helps

• Registered Users Posts: 57 ✭✭DeXtER1978

paperclip2 wrote: »
    Hi Dexter.

It doesn't matter how you got the course place,the important thing is that you have it and that you fulfill the BTEA criteria as regards age and length of time on social welfare.
    Hope this helps

Hi Paperclip!!

Can you get both? BTEA & Grant??

Unfortunately if you are on Jobseekers and move to BTEA you can't get the maintenance portion of the grant. You may be eligible for the fee grant which will cover your registration fees. These are set to increase to €2250 from this September.

:)

Unfortunately if you are on Jobseekers and move to BTEA you can't get the maintenance portion of the grant. You may be eligible for the fee grant which will cover your registration fees. These are set to increase to €2250 from this September.

Is the maintenance portion of the grant the €500 at the start of every academic year (budget 2012 - brought it down to €300) ???

I wouldn't really mind that tbh Paperclip, once the €2k part of the course every year was paid for and I still received my weekly BTEA

That €300 is the Cost of Education Allowance. Its paid by DSP and has NOTHING to do with the VEC/ County Council or SUSI grant.

The maintenance portion of the student grant is a different payment entirely but you aren't eligible for it if you get the BTEA.

• Advertisement

That €300 is the Cost of Education Allowance. Its paid by DSP and has NOTHING to do with the VEC/ County Council or SUSI grant.

The maintenance portion of the student grant is a different payment entirely but you aren't eligible for it if you get the BTEA.

Wow, talk about getting confused. So let me see if I have this correct

1. BTEA - Two Parts
    A weekly payment
    A once of yearly payment - normally at the start of each year (€300)

2. Grant - Two parts
    Maintenance
    Registration Fee

Is this right? Btw, what is the maintenance part of the grant? (excuse my ignorance - I've been working for the past 15 years or so and have never been out of a job since I left school many moons ago....)

PS Thanks for all the advice and comments!!! Very helpful!

DeXtER1978 wrote: »
    Wow, talk about getting confused. So let me see if I have this correct

1. BTEA - Two Parts
    A weekly payment
    A once of yearly payment - normally at the start of each year (€300)

2. Grant - Two parts
    Maintenance
    Registration Fee

Thats correct! :D
    Btw, what is the maintenance part of the grant? (excuse my ignorance - I've been working for the past 15 years or so and have never been out of a job since I left school many moons ago....)

From this Sept the maintenance portion of the grant is a monthly payment from Student Universal Support Ireland, SUSI, to assist with the cost of attending college. It's not available to people in receipt of BTEA but may be an option for people on Disability or One Parent Family Allowance or to someone who is not in receipt of a DSP payment.

The rate of maintenance you can receive depends on a number of factors including income for the last full tax year, distance from your home to the college and your residency status.
    PS Thanks for all the advice and comments!!! Very helpful!

You're welcome

Thanks Paperclip!!!

Sorry, one last thing - Should I apply for the BTEA & Grant now or wait until I know I have been accepted into a course first??

You have to have an offer of a place before applying for BTEA but you can apply for the fee grant without knowing if you have one.

• Advertisement

Cool, Thanks Paperclip!!

Edit: Looks like it wont be up until May

https://www.grantsonline.ie/index_alt.html

Yep. All the new grant awarding functions are being provided by CDVEC through SUSI from Sept. No more 'local arrangements' :D

Yep. All the new grant awarding functions are being provided by CDVEC through SUSI from Sept. No more 'local arrangements' :D

Excellent!!

• Registered Users Posts: 911 ✭✭✭The Nutty M

Sorry to interrupt and barge in but I've a question regarding the tax forms required to apply for the grant or the BTEA.Which ones are needed and from what year?
    Cheers:)

Sorry to interrupt and barge in but I've a question regarding the tax forms required to apply for the grant or the BTEA.Which ones are needed and from what year?

Hey The Nutty,

Not interrupting at all, Id be interested in this answer also!!!

Afaik no tax forms are needed for BTEA application as this is dependent on your age and length of time you are in receipt of a DSP payment.

The Guidance notes for the grant application usually detail all documentation required for a grant application. The grant is awarded based on information from the last full tax year. So if you are applying for a grant for this September you need to provide details of income for the period from 1st Jan 2011 to 31st Dec 2011.

As regards tax info you need to include a P60 for each employment you held in 2011, A P21 Balancing statement from 2011, a P45 if you ceased employment during the year. Details of income earned in a previous tax year that was paid in 2011, details of non-recurring overtime payments, and/or foreign income. You will also need a Social Welfare cert detailing any DSP (or HSE) payments received in 2011.

If you are self employed or have income from rental properties, land, company directorships, savings, maintenance, redundancy payments, disposal of assets, and /or private pensions there are other docs you will need to supply. Details are availble via http://www.studentfinance.ie

• Registered Users Posts: 43 happyturtle

Hi, Sorry to interrupt but I have a few questions about BTEA as well :) Let say I got the offer at the university and I'm eligible for the payments, do you know how long can it take to receive it? I mean, I apply for it in August, my JA payments stops, will I have to wait weeks or months for BTEA payments to start?

As far as I know you have to pay this 2250 euro quite early, what happens if you simply don't have it at the moment? Can the payment be postponed or you are not allowed to start the course unless you paid? And I'm on 312 JA payment at the moment (qualified person), will it be reduced to single rate or stay that way? I will really appreciate any help with that :)

Hi, Sorry to interrupt but I have a few questions about BTEA as well :) Let say I got the offer at the university and I'm eligible for the payments, do you know how long can it take to receive it? I mean, I apply for it in August, my JA payments stops, will I have to wait weeks or months for BTEA payments to start?

As far as I know you have to pay this 2250 euro quite early, what happens if you simply don't have it at the moment? Can the payment be postponed or you are not allowed to start the course unless you paid? And I'm on 312 JA payment at the moment (qualified person), will it be reduced to single rate or stay that way? I will really appreciate any help with that :)

Cant help you with the length of time before receiving BTEA I'm afraid. I think it can depend on which area you are in. As regards the payment amount its usually paid at a standard rate. Best thing to do would be to speak to DSP or Citizens information to see exactly what you might be on money wise. The max standard rate for a single person is €188 per week afaik.

As regards the Registration fee of €2250 you can apply to SUSI (Student Universal Support Ireland) for that and if your total gross income in 2011 was under about €51,000 you can have the registration charge paid on your behalf.

• Registered Users Posts: 43 happyturtle

Cant help you with the length of time before receiving BTEA I'm afraid. I think it can depend on which area you are in. As regards the payment amount its usually paid at a standard rate. Best thing to do would be to speak to DSP or Citizens information to see exactly what you might be on money wise. The max standard rate for a single person is €188 per week afaik.

As regards the Registration fee of €2250 you can apply to SUSI (Student Universal Support Ireland) for that and if your total gross income in 2011 was under about €51,000 you can have the registration charge paid on your behalf.

Thanks for that :) I have contacted social welfare office today... Will see how it goes :)

I didn't know about SUSI, and I'm really happy that I know now :D Thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 157 ✭✭john 08

i went down to the social welfare earlier to get information on the BTEA. the guy told me that i wont have to pay any fees and that im eligible to get the BTEA, since i am on jobseekers benefits.

• Advertisement

john 08 wrote: »
    i went down to the social welfare earlier to get information on the BTEA. the guy told me that i wont have to pay any fees and that im eligible to get the BTEA, since i am on jobseekers benefits.

If you are heading to 3rd level you will still have to apply to SUSI to get your registration fee of €2250 paid.

• Registered Users Posts: 157 ✭✭john 08

If you are heading to 3rd level you will still have to apply to SUSI to get your registration fee of €2250 paid.

really :confused: ?? i did nt realise that, he never mentioned it and i asked him just to make sure about the fees. he said i just go about the BTEA if i get accepted.

what do i have to do with the SUSI ??

john 08 wrote: »
    really :confused: ?? i did nt realise that, he never mentioned it and i asked him just to make sure about the fees. he said i just go about the BTEA if i get accepted.

what do i have to do with the SUSI ??

Apply for your registration fee. Its an online application set-up that will be live from May (hopefully) via http://www.studentfinance.ie

DSP often dont mention anything about registration fees as in some cases the staff you are dealing with dont know anything about them. DSP have nothing to do with 3rd level education aside from providing BTEA and can have limited knowledge about other charges and related supports.

Advertisement