Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

(Thesis) Irish Women who have had Cosmetic Surgery

Options
  • 22-03-2012 10:55pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 1

Hi,

I am a third year undergraduate student at NUI Maynooth doing a sociology thesis on the medicalization of cosmetic surgery. My research question is 'To what extent does the medicalization of cosmetic surgery influence the decisions of Irish women to alter their bodies for the sake of beauty?'

I wish to hear from ladies who have undergone the process to learn about their thoughts and experiences, in a non-judgemental fashion. I have included a list of the interview questions. If you could please answer these questions as honestly as possible it would be extremely beneficial to my project. Any personal details will remain confidential throughout and no real names will be used in the finished thesis.

Any information from women who have experienced the process first hand would be sincerely appreciated. Please send replies to gayle-xx@hotmail.com

Thanks for reading,

Gayle O'Brien

Name:

Type of Surgery Carried Out:

1. For what reasons did you undergo cosmetic surgery?
    2. How did you feel about your appearance before the surgery?
    3. How did you feel about your appearance after the surgery?
    4. Would you say you have gained the expected result from your surgery?
    5. In what ways has your surgery affected your life?
    6. Has your self confidence altered since the surgery?
    7. What did others think about your new look?

8. Do you feel your surgery was treated by professionals as a medical issue?
    9. Do you consider cosmetic surgery a medical process? Why/why not?
    10.What were the main factors affecting your choice of cosmetic surgery company?
    11.Did the surgeons’ qualifications or expertise play a part in deciding what company to choose?
    12.Were you influenced by advertisements, images or websites of cosmetic surgery companies?
    13. Did your trust in the surgeons/consultants alter throughout the process?
    14. What were your main concerns about the process?
    16. Would you have considered yourself a patient or a consumer throughout the process? Why? Did this change throughout the process?
    17. Did you feel endangered in any part of the process?

18. How confident were you that the procedure would be successful? What were the reasons for this confidence/lack of confidence?
    19. Did images of women portrayed in the media influence your decision to have cosmetic surgery done?
    20. Do you tend to link physical attractiveness in others with positive personal qualities?
    21. Would you consider cosmetic surgery a safe medical practice?
    22. Are you aware of any laws surrounding cosmetic surgery?
    23. Do you believe there is a stigma attached to having cosmetic surgery?
    24. How important do you consider physical beauty to be in Irish society?
    25. Would you consider having cosmetic surgery again? Why/why not?

Leave a Comment

Rich Text Editor. To edit a paragraph's style, hit tab to get to the paragraph menu. From there you will be able to pick one style. Nothing defaults to paragraph. An inline formatting menu will show up when you select text. Hit tab to get into that menu. Some elements, such as rich link embeds, images, loading indicators, and error messages may get inserted into the editor. You may navigate to these using the arrow keys inside of the editor and delete them with the delete or backspace key.

Advertisement