Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Are Woodies,Homebase and BnQ cheap at all????

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,429 ✭✭✭Cedrus

paddy147 wrote: »
    I see that you didnt quote my post and quote the part where I also posted/stated that all builders providers open on a Saturday now,some of them stay open till 5pm and some of them stay open til 1pm.

To me that is not the morning,but well into Saturday AFTERNOON.....;)

Paddy, I did quote your post, I quoted it verbatim, didn't interfere with it in any way, I simply didn't address every item of your post.

Like half the population of ireland I don't live in dublin so apart from Chadwicks and Heitons, the providers you listed are no use to me, the petrol would be astronomical from cork. I have two chadwicks near me they both shut at 1:00 on a saturday so too I believe does Heitons, but since it is as far across the city as is possible, I go there too rarely to know their times.

I agree with you that the Builders Providers (and small local hardware, electrical & plumbing shops) offer a far superior service at (usually) lower cost, but sometimes convenience is worth paying for, and sometimes the superstores are just more interesting for a family trip.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 15,858 ✭✭✭✭paddy147

Heiton Buckleys

6 foot x 6 foot pressure treated trellis frame-25 euro each.

Woodies and BnQ

Exact same trellis frame-52 euro each (Woodies) and 60 euro each (BnQ).

27-35 euro more.:eek:

Again,bought them from Heiton Buckleys.:)

Cedrus wrote: »
    Paddy, I did quote your post, I quoted it verbatim, didn't interfere with it in any way, I simply didn't address every item of your post.

Like half the population of ireland I don't live in dublin so apart from Chadwicks and Heitons, the providers you listed are no use to me, the petrol would be astronomical from cork. I have two chadwicks near me they both shut at 1:00 on a saturday so too I believe does Heitons, but since it is as far across the city as is possible, I go there too rarely to know their times.

I agree with you that the Builders Providers (and small local hardware, electrical & plumbing shops) offer a far superior service at (usually) lower cost, but sometimes convenience is worth paying for, and sometimes the superstores are just more interesting for a family trip.

Well with all the money you could/would save in Chadwicks or Heiton Buckleys,you could take the kids/family out to the cinema or for a McDonalds or KFC on a Saturday afternoon.;)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,959 ✭✭✭Jesus Shaves

Its not bull. The providers will always beat it and if you look at the price promise they are very clever to usually include a radius and exclude electric showers.

Believe me i know good marketing when i see it.

There is a radius of 10km and showers are included in the B&Q one
    sounds like a good deal to me

darokane wrote: »
    There is a radius of 10km and showers are included in the B&Q one
    sounds like a good deal to me

Funny then that BnQ Airside dont include showers,neither does BnQ Bellgard road.

Your BnQ must be the only one then??;)

Also compare the BNQ and Woodies prices on showers with the price that a builders providers or plumbers merchants will give you,then your eyes will really be opened.

• Advertisement

Funny then that BnQ Airside dont include showers,neither does BnQ Bellgard road.

Your BnQ must be the only one then??;)

I used to work for them, they do, they advertise 10% off anything if you can get it cheaper anywhere else in a 10km radius
    Everything means everything
    Sorry but you must be confusing this with something else

I used to work for them, they do, they advertise 10% off anything if you can get it cheaper anywhere else in a 10km radius
    Everything means everything
    Sorry but you must be confusing this with something else

You need to read the very very fine print then.

You need to read the very very fine print then.;)

working for them is enough proof for me, many a shower was reduced when it was cheaper elsewhere

working for them is enough proof for me, many a shower was reduced when it was cheaper elsewhere

You need to read the very very fine print.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,250 ✭✭✭Juwwi

Things like attic insulation,white paint,radiator covers,electric heaters
    are all very competitive in the big DIY stores.

Woodies do a 20% off voucher regularly aswell.

There seems to be a pattern of that wood seems to be dear in the Diy stores but I would'nt totally say they are more expensive on everything.

• Advertisement

no i need to stop answering someone who doesn't know what they're talking about
    You might need to change which store you go to

robbie1977 wrote: »
    Things like attic insulation,white paint,radiator covers,electric heaters
    are all very competitive in the big DIY stores.

Woodies do a 20% off voucher regularly aswell.

There seems to be a pattern of that wood seems to be dear in the Diy stores but I would'nt totally say they are more expensive on everything.

Knauf 150mm Earthwool is 15-16 euro in most builders providers (Heitons anyway).

30 euro in BnQ and stupid silly high money in Homebase.Woodies,forget about it

10 litres of brilliant white Dulux Weathershield (20% extra free) is 50 euro in Woodies

Exact same 10 litre tub of brilliant white (20% extra free) is 44 euro in Heiton Buckleys.

I could go on and on and on here...but I think you get the idea here.;)

no i need to stop answering someone who doesn't know what they're talking about
    You might need to change which store you go to

I know exactly what Im talking about,as does another member who pointed it out to you.I go to builders providers as thats where I get the best prices on the items I buy.BNQ dont do it for me and cant sell their products at the prices that I get.

But you seem to be in denial.

So,you "worked" there in the past...great...so you think you know it all then??

I think you need to open your eyes a bit more and look around you more.

Regards.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,429 ✭✭✭Cedrus

Well with all the money you could/would save in Chadwicks or Heiton Buckleys,you could take the kids/family out to the cinema or for a McDonalds or KFC on a Saturday afternoon.;)

If I'm building a deck, Yes.
    If I'm putting up one 600mm shelf, Not a hope in hell!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,250 ✭✭✭Juwwi

Right I did'nt realise that Paddy I must take a trip down there next week to have a look at the prices.
    I do remember getting nearly ripped off buying tile adhesive in woodies before thank god I checked around they were double the price for that.

Anyone see any good prices for bathroom renovation out there around Dublin ?
    Need shower tray,shower door,new toilet,presure pump usual sort of stuff.

I know exactly what Im talking about,as does another member who pointed it out to you.But you seem to be in denial.

So,you "worked" there in thr past....so you think you know it all then??

You think you do,when you actually dont.

I think you need to open your eyes a bit more and look around you more.

Regards.

You have shown me no proof, you obviously have some kind of agenda against the big DIY chains which is clear to see in all your posts, Yes i worked there which puts me in a much better position than you to comment on policies and prices.
    you could ask me any question and it would be answered honestly about the prices etc. You are simply wrong here
    Please take your biased, uneducated views somewhere else

You have shown me no proof, you obviously have some kind of agenda against the big DIY chains which is clear to see in all your posts,

So ripping people off with the high prices isnt of any concern then??

And because I post this thread and subsiquent posts (with proof),now Im wrong and biased??

It is a concern to me and yes,it is an agenda,that has to be talked about and highlighted here.And thats what Im doing with proof too (but you seem to be blind of that and still in denial).

OPEN YOUR EYES.

How much is a 16 foot length of pressure treated 2 x 2 in BnQ then??

How much is a 6 x 6 foot pressure treated heavy duty trellis frame in BnQ then??

How much is 10 litres of Dulux brilliant White Weathershield (20% extra free) in BnQ ??

How much is a 4 inch solid block in BnQ then??

Seen as we are all led to believe by the various DIY Superstores (current recession) that more money in the pocket is best for us and TV ads and slogans like ..."theres no better buy in diy".:rolleyes:

So DIY Superstores are cheaper than anywhere else then??

Yeah right,if you want to fall for that,fair enough then.

So ripping people off with the prices isnt of any concern then??

It is to me and yes,it is an agenda,that has to be talked about and highlighted here.And thats what Im doing with proof too (but you seem to be blind of that and still in denial).

How much is a 6 x 6 foot pressure treated heavy duty trellis frame in BnQ then??

How much is 10 litres of Dulux brilliant White Weathershield (20% extra free) in BnQ ??

Seen as we are all led to believe (current recession) that more money in the pocket is best for us and slogans like ..."theres no better buy in diy".:rolleyes:

See now, I didn't say any of the things you just accused me of, I said you were wrong about the price promise, which you are, you clearly have an agenda here.
    I know some of the prices in these stores are a rip off, i know know what times of the year to shop there to get stuff cheaper than you'll get it anywhere else
    now please stop embarrassing yourself :rolleyes:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,326 ✭✭✭Farmer Pudsey

During the boom the big Builders Providers did not want to deal with anyone not buying in bulk however in the last year they have copped on and are a good bit cheaper than B&Q and Wooddies. The same with Paint shops and garden centers. However you still have to shop around. Halfords is the same for car gear way over priced as were the motor factors however I have found that the motor factors have copped theselves on as well.

However you still have to price around and keep eye on Lidl and Aldi as well I picked up the wood/Metel holesaws in Aldi today was looking for a 2" holesaw a couple of weeks ago over20 euro with the center bit the set today was 11 euro.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,295 ✭✭✭Joe10000

I am in this business and the margins these stores work off never cease to amaze me, as somebody told me a long time ago they are Sunday shops, if you need something on a Sunday you know you have to pay a premium.

• Advertisement

See now, I didn't say any of the things you just accused me of, I said you were wrong about the price promise, which you are, you clearly have an agenda here.
    I know some of the prices in these stores are a rip off, i know know what times of the year to shop there to get stuff cheaper than you'll get it anywhere else
    now please stop embarrassing yourself :rolleyes:

So you "worked" in BnQ then,YES??.

You have shown me no proof, you obviously have some kind of agenda against the big DIY chains which is clear to see in all your posts, Yes i worked there which puts me in a much better position than you to comment on policies and prices.

you could ask me any question and it would be answered honestly about the prices etc. You are simply wrong here

Please take your biased, uneducated views somewhere else

^^^^^^^^^^
    You blatantly accused me of being wrong,uneducated and biased.

Now I have asked you all the above (see my previous posts) and put this post to you in referal to your false accusations about me.

Im a normal joe soap consumer who likes more money in his back pocket and doesnt believe in paying a much higher/over inflated price for the exact same product in a DIY Superstore.

I have provided clear proof with prices/reciepts,yet you seem to be in denial of this and are not reading my posts and prices..(Im still wrong,in your eyes).

Now,can you address my post and actually answer my questions that I have asked you (prices)???

Dont avoid me,please answer my questions.

Please and thankyou.

So you worked in BnQ then,YES??.

You blatantly accused me of being wrong and biased.

Now I have asked you all the above and put my post to you in referal to your accusations about me.

I have provided clear proof with prices/reciepts,yet you seem to be in denial of this.Im still wrong,in your eyes.

Now,can you address my post and actually answer my questions that I have asked you (prices)???

Dont avoid me,please answer my questions.

Please and thankyou.

I said you were wrong about the price promise, you are wrong about it, i never mentioned anything about prices of stock therefore i will ignore you

please take your vendetta somewhere else, i am not answering anymore moronic posts

Joe10000 wrote: »
    I am in this business and the margins these stores work off never cease to amaze me, as somebody told me a long time ago they are Sunday shops, if you need something on a Sunday you know you have to pay a premium.

i know it's mad, margins sometimes can be over 1000% for things like screws/hooks etc.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 447 ✭✭tipperary

I said you were wrong about the price promise, you are wrong about it, i never mentioned anything about prices of stock therefore i will ignore you

please take your vendetta somewhere else, i am not answering anymore moronic posts

Can you please use a smaller font size when ignoring people?

tipperary wrote: »
    Can you please use a smaller font size when ignoring people?

NO

Oh,so now,ontop of being biased,and wrong,Im a moron too?? (it just gets better).

I dont see where I have mocked you anywhere or called you names???

But its ok for you to do it though?:rolleyes:

Are you going to answer me with regards the very open and honest questions I have asked you,regarding the costs/prices in BnQ??

So ripping people off with the high prices isnt of any concern then??

I am answering you,but you seem to be in denial and are purposely avoiding anything that I am asking you.

robbie1977 wrote: »
    Right I did'nt realise that Paddy I must take a trip down there next week to have a look at the prices.
    I do remember getting nearly ripped off buying tile adhesive in woodies before thank god I checked around they were double the price for that.

Anyone see any good prices for bathroom renovation out there around Dublin ?
    Need shower tray,shower door,new toilet,presure pump usual sort of stuff.

Chadwicks in Coolock and Heiton Buckleys in Santry and Ballymount..with regards some of the bathroom stuff

Also Smiths Builders Providers in Walkinstown.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 447 ✭✭tipperary

NO
    :D:D

• Registered Users Posts: 30 jamesjustjames

I find Chadwicks Builders Providers in Coolock brilliant,they have allways been very nice and helpfull to me.:)

They gave me a brilliant deal on 4 large SO6 sized Velux "Solar Powered" blackout blinds for my house.

Oh and I dont have an account with them,Im not in the trade either.Im just a normal "joe soap" customer.

Woodies like you to think that...."theres no better buy in diy".

But the truth is the complete opposite.

They are way overpriced on allmost everything they sell.

An 8 foot length of pressure treated 2 x 2 inch wood is around 8 euro in Woodies.

Yet in most builders providers,you can get a 16 foot length of pressure treated 2 x 2 for around 5-6 euro and 3 x 2 for around a tenner or less.

BnQ and Woodies are an absolute ripp off on sheet woods like MDF,Ply,WPB and chip board.

You can get an 18mm thick full sheet (8 x 4) of WPB ply in most builders providers for 25 euro these days.

You wont get that price in a DIY Superstore.

If your main selling point,TV Ad and claim is "theres no better buy in diy".....then back it up with the prices.Dont ripp people off.

You wouldnt believe the amount of times Ive sent friends/people down the road to the builders providers,and they have saved alot of money then giving it to BnQ or Woodies.

PS-Ive used Woodies and BnQ myself and will do too,in the future.But only as an absolute last resort/last ditch desperate measure (on a Sunday).

My money allways will go to the builders providers,as I will allways buy from them 1st,before entering any diy superstore..

Re Chadwicks, I will admit that it is well over 10 years since I tried to get something there. I will take your word for it that their service has improved. When I was last there, they might as well have told me straight out that they did not want my business

I go to Woodies for convenience- I work 9-5 so sometimes it is impossible to get to a builders providers. I certainly don't buy big quantities of anything there. I don't find Grange much cheaper, and anyone I know in building generally steers clear of them if they can.

A friend who is a painter/ decorator often gets paint in Woodies- when there is a special offer on, it is as cheap as anywhere else.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 30 jamesjustjames

I find Chadwicks Builders Providers in Coolock brilliant,they have allways been very nice and helpfull to me.:)

They gave me a brilliant deal on 4 large SO6 sized Velux "Solar Powered" blackout blinds for my house.

Oh and I dont have an account with them,Im not in the trade either.Im just a normal "joe soap" customer.

Woodies like you to think that...."theres no better buy in diy".

But the truth is the complete opposite.

They are way overpriced on allmost everything they sell.

An 8 foot length of pressure treated 2 x 2 inch wood is around 8 euro in Woodies.

Yet in most builders providers,you can get a 16 foot length of pressure treated 2 x 2 for around 5-6 euro and 3 x 2 for around a tenner or less.

BnQ and Woodies are an absolute ripp off on sheet woods like MDF,Ply,WPB and chip board.

You can get an 18mm thick full sheet (8 x 4) of WPB ply in most builders providers for 25 euro these days.

You wont get that price in a DIY Superstore.

If your main selling point,TV Ad and claim is "theres no better buy in diy".....then back it up with the prices.Dont ripp people off.

You wouldnt believe the amount of times Ive sent friends/people down the road to the builders providers,and they have saved alot of money then giving it to BnQ or Woodies.

PS-Ive used Woodies and BnQ myself and will do too,in the future.But only as an absolute last resort/last ditch desperate measure (on a Sunday).

My money allways will go to the builders providers,as I will allways buy from them 1st,before entering any diy superstore..

Re Chadwicks, I will admit that it is well over 10 years since I tried to get something there. I will take your word for it that their service has improved. When I was last there, they might as well have told me straight out that they did not want my business

I go to Woodies for convenience- I work 9-5 so sometimes it is impossible to get to a builders providers. I certainly don't buy big quantities of anything there. I don't find Grange much cheaper, and anyone I know in building generally steers clear of them if they can.

A friend who is a painter/ decorator often gets paint in Woodies- when there is a special offer on, it is as cheap as anywhere else.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement