Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Are Woodies,Homebase and BnQ cheap at all????

13»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 44 Rowanvella199

As with all chain stores i.e lidl aldi etc They are cheaper than buying from smaller retailers!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 407 ✭✭muckyhands

darokane wrote: »
    You have shown me no proof, you obviously have some kind of agenda against the big DIY chains which is clear to see in all your posts, Yes i worked there which puts me in a much better position than you to comment on policies and prices.
    you could ask me any question and it would be answered honestly about the prices etc. You are simply wrong here
    Please take your biased, uneducated views somewhere else

Oh My God I must be a right moronic eegit then- because I didn' t realise they had a price promise. :eek:

This is great news though- because I know I will be able to find things cheaper elsewhere. ;)

I can see why you would know about policies because you worked there but for christ sake.....

What use is that- if Joe soap public doesn' t generally know about it?

See now, I didn't say any of the things you just accused me of, I said you were wrong about the price promise, which you are, you clearly have an agenda here.
    I know some of the prices in these stores are a rip off, i know know what times of the year to shop there to get stuff cheaper than you'll get it anywhere else
    now please stop embarrassing yourself :rolleyes:

'I said you were wrong about the price promise'

The only one who brought up anything about a price promise, that I can see, is you.

'I know some of the prices in these stores are a rip off'

So you agree with with the op then. Great. :D

• Registered Users Posts: 1,295 ✭✭✭Joe10000

As with all chain stores i.e lidl aldi etc They are cheaper than buying from smaller retailers!

In this instance I believe the opposite to be true. I think you would be hard pushed to find a hardware store with a single item of hardware more expensive then in woodies or home base.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,952 ✭✭✭✭Stoner

Mod Note:

Ok lads can we keep an eye on this please. It's not a bad thread but it has the potential to get nasty, there's no harm comparing prices etc, but lets keep the thread on track. Watch statements like "uneducated views", "Rip off" etc. can be interpreted by some in a wider context.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,959 ✭✭✭Jesus Shaves

muckyhands wrote: »
    'I said you were wrong about the price promise'

The only one who brought up anything about a price promise, that I can see, is you.

'I know some of the prices in these stores are a rip off'

So you agree with with the op then. Great. :D

Mr. Paddy there came across as a bit of a ***** there and didn't even realise that i was half agreeing with him
    I have no interest in how much a 10 litre bucket of dulux white paint is? €44 is it
    I know that for a 10 litre bottle of crown white paints it's €14
    I only shop in B&Q at certain times of the year(when everything from events is reduced down to cents) or unless i know they are cheaper for certain items
    Woodies i've found to be a small bit dearer in prices but it's like a jumble sale in there, The shop in Athlone is all over the place.
    Obviously from a traders point of view these are not the places to be shopping. But common sense will tell you that.
    I think some people need to relax in this thread.
    Anyway.....Just got a tin of Cuprinol 5L fence paint in woodies for €9, Off to faint some fences.
    Enjoy ye're weekend shopping.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 15,858 ✭✭✭✭paddy147

Darokane,instead of insulting me with very crude and foul/abusive language,can you actually answer my questions please.And you also actually answer muckyhands post/question too.

For the record,Im not in the trade,never have been and never will be either..

I am however a normal consumer who likes to keep as much money in my pocket as I can.

I have answered you directly (with educated posts and with proof),but all you can do in return,is avoid my questions and insult me and falsly accuse me of various things.

10 litres Dulux Weathehield Briliant white (20% extra free) is 44 euro in Heiton Buckleys.

Its 50 euro in Woodies and 50 euro in BnQ too.

A 16 foot length of 2 x 1 inch pressure treated timber is 2 euro 85 cents euro in Heiton Buckley and in Chadwicks.

How much is it on BnQ and Woodies ???? (sorry they dont stock that length/size).But they do charge more for an 8 foot length though.So you get charged more for only "half" the product.

But I suppose,Im not educated enough or providing any proof,as you keep accuse me of being and doing.:rolleyes:

Even though its very clear for all to see here (pics).

Anyway.....Just got a tin of Cuprinol 5L fence paint in woodies for €9, Off to faint some fences.
    Enjoy ye're weekend shopping.

5 litre (with 20% extra free,so 6 litres) is 7 euro 50 cents in Heiton Buckleys.

Happy Shopping and enjoy the fence painting..

• Registered Users Posts: 64 ✭✭hiromoto

Hey Paddy Darrokane just called you a ....
    Hey Darrokane Paddy just called you a ....

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,262 ✭✭✭✭Joey the lips

There is a radius of 10km and showers are included in the B&Q one
    sounds like a good deal to me

Look. With due respect. You can have your opinion and i will have mine. But put simple if woodies and homebase was cheaper than providers then the cash trade from providers would go to woodies and this is not the case.

You will occassionally find something cheaper in woodies or homebase but due to business logic. ie overheads, insurence cost of displays, loss. The providers will always be cheaper.

This is factual.

• Advertisement

Look. With due respect. You can have your opinion and i will have mine. But put simple if woodies and homebase was cheaper than providers then the cash trade from providers would go to woodies and this is not the case.

You will occassionally find something cheaper in woodies or homebase but due to business logic. ie overheads, insurence cost of displays, loss. The providers will always be cheaper.

This is factual.

Sure Joey,even with 20%,they still cant match a builders providers prices.

These prices (see pics below) are absolutely shocking indeed.Even take 20% off and they are still way overpriced.:eek:

And with BnQ you only get 20% off when you spend "more than 50 euro",so theres allways a catch to these deals.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,381 ✭✭✭DublinDilbert

As joey says most of the time the builder providers will win out, but the big chains will always have a place too, due to the range of stuff they carry, opening hours, convenience...

It's worth pricing stuff in both. Ive found the staff in the providers to be a bit hit and miss too.

The builder providers must be struggling as the chadwicks in glassnevin (which has been there for years) has been subsumed into the woodies there. I wonder will they change the range they stock...

paddy147 wrote: »

These prices (see pics below) are absolutely shocking indeed.Even take 20% off and they are still way overpriced.:eek:

And with BnQ you only get 20% off when you spend "more than 50 euro",so theres allways a catch to these deals.

Hmmm...

Wasn' t that you I saw, up in Homebase today? :D

muckyhands wrote: »
    Hmmm...

Wasn' t that you I saw, up in Homebase today? :D

You did indeed (hense the pictures posted).;)

Did I not see you up there too??:D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,236 ✭✭✭deandean

For me:

Woodies and B&Q = Only for Sundays when I am stuck for something. But worth the odd browze for specials.

The WORST crowd in Ireland for overpricing, I find, is B&Q.

All heating and plumbing stuff = Davies in Harmonstown Good stock and great staff. I abandoned Heatmerchants with the crapola their counter staff would come out: me: I want a 3/4" tee with a 1/2" coming off it :o counter guy: Is that a 419 or a 407? We really only deal with professional tradesmen here" etc, - well fcuk you.

All builders stuff = Grange providers, Baldoyle *also now have an electrical outlet across the road super!* with free-ish delivery too.

What are you on about now 20%?????????
    Are you capable of holding a conversation?

What are you on about now 20%?????????
    Are you capable of holding a conversation?

You dont seem to have a clue yourself,yet you can post this..........
    Yes i worked there which puts me in a much better position than you to comment on policies and prices.

you could ask me any question and it would be answered honestly about the prices etc.

I am well able to post an educated post,provide prices and proof and hold a factual conversation and a debate too.

And I dont feel the need to avoid peoples questions and then use crude/abusive language in my posts either,unlike your good self and your posts.

You dont seem to have a clue,yet you can post this..........

I am well able to post an educated post,provide prices and proof and hold a factual conversation and a debate too.

And I dont feel the need to avoid peoples questions and then use crude/abusive language in my posts either,unlike your good self and your posts.

Your post would be valid if that sale was actually on at the moment, that's normally around easter time
    I'v said from the start i don't care about the prices
    I just proved you wrong about the 10% price promise
    that was it, like i said, vendetta

Your post would be valid if that sale was actually on at the moment, that's normally around easter time
    I'v said from the start i don't care about the prices
    I just proved you wrong about the 10% price promise
    that was it, like i said, vendetta

You say that you worked in BnQ and you know more on prices and policies.

Now you talk about proof??

What proof do you have,where is it then???

You seem to be in denial to what several members have posted to you,and you dont seem up to speed on the matters in hand here.

There you go again with the word vendetta.Is that the "word of the day" today then??

Theres is no vendetta.

There is however a debate and factual thread here,started by myself,which highlights the massive price differences between builders providers and DIY Superstores.

Buy you seem to be in denial,for some strange reason and you post crude abusive posts and keep on with the accusations.

You are still ignoring other members questions,and also me and my questions to you with regards the cost of various items in BnQ.

When will you actually answer these qustions then,seen as you can "state" this below...??

Yes i worked there which puts me in a much better position than you to comment on policies and prices.

you could ask me any question and it would be answered honestly about the prices etc.

You say that you worked in BnQ and you know more on prices and policies.

Now you talk about proof??

What proof do you have,where is it then???

You seem to be in denial to what several members have posted to you,and you dont seem up to speed on the matters in hand here.

There you go again with the word vendetta.Is that the "word of the day" today then??

Obviously having worked for them for over 4 years i know more about their prices and policies, some things are dearer, some are cheaper, like every shop!
    You also ignored a price i put up for something, I tend to ignore posts when i feel that they are biased/idiotic/lack basic grammar/are repeated more than enough/are trolling/from a person who can't see reason/from a person with an obvious hatred towards the subject in hand et. et.
    take your pick.

• Advertisement

Obviously having worked for them for over 4 years i know more about their prices and policies, some things are dearer, some are cheaper, like every shop!
    You also ignored a price i put up for something, I tend to ignore posts when i feel that they are biased/idiotic/lack basic grammar/are repeated more than enough/are trolling/from a person who can't see reason/from a person with an obvious hatred towards the subject in hand et. et.
    take your pick.

So now its Im idiotic,with a lack of grammer,moronic and biased,hatred,oh and trolling too.It gets better and better.

You want to talk about Proof???

Still waiting to see it then.

Im sure other members will be interested to the the proof you will post too.

Also still waiting to see the prices on the various items I asked you about in BnQ.

Seen as you are in a much better position to comment on prices than I am...according to you.....having worked there for 4 years.

I have asked you some basic simple questions regarding prices in BnQ,yet for some reason,you will not answer me,even though you can "state" the above.

And i've told you countless times that i don't care about the prices because with the price promise that you get in b&q you get 10% plus the difference off them prices you mentioned

And i've told you countless times that i don't care about the prices because with the price promise that you get in b&q you get 10% plus the difference off them prices you mentioned

Do you have proof of the price prommise?

Willl BnQ accept a much lower price/reciept from a builders providers??

And Im not the only one to ask you about this matter.

I dont see it anywhere on any website or billboard/poster at any BnQ in Dublin.

Do you have proof of the price prommise?

And Im not the only one to ask you about this matter.

I dont see it anywhere on any website or billboard/poster at any BnQ in Dublin.

I do indeed
    http://www.diy.com/diy/jsp/roi/support.jsp

Do BnQ consider and accept a builders providers as being a competitor though??

Thats what the thread is about afterall..comparrison of prices between builders providers and DIY Superstores.

yes they do, as long as the product is available to anyone to buy

yes they do, as long as the product is available to anyone to buy

Well,I must look into this matter in greater detail then,as BnQ told me before,that they will only consider a builders providers reciepts/prices as competition,if you have a trade account with them (with BnQ Trade).

Well,I must look into this matter in greater detail then,as BnQ told me before,that they will only consider a builders providers reciepts as competition,if you have a trade account with them (with BnQ Trade).

half the staff dont know what they're talking about;)

half the staff dont know what they're talking about;)

Theres alot of catches to this price prommise and judging by what google is showing me about it,its very hard to get BnQ to honour their prommise.

I highly doubt that an Irish builders providers will buy the likes of timber,blocks,pavers sand and other general products from the exact same supplier that BnQ will be buying in from.

So theres a potential major problem right there with regards this price prommise and a price/reciept from a builders providers.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,952 ✭✭✭✭Stoner

closing this thread now, i think it's finished. I asked that we try to keep it on track but we couldn't help ourselves.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement