Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

ESB Closing My Business For A Day While They Install A Power Line!!!???

• 22-03-2012 11:03pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 8

I have just been informed that ESB will be cutting off my supply for a day while they install a power line in a building close to us.

I work in the service industry. My business, like most, cannot operate in any capacity without electricity. They cannot confirm a date yet but it may happen on a Sat in the next 2 or 3 weeks.

Most of the other business in the area are closed on Sat so it will not affect them but mine is busy on a Sat. ESB won't do it on a Sunday even though they are aware that is the only day it will not affect my business.
    I am completely shocked that they can just cut us off like this without any consideration of the loss caused to my business. I will have to give approx 6 staff the day off without pay as I cannot possibly afford to pay them on top of losing a full day's earnings. I don't think my staff or my business should have to lose out like this. It's complete insanity!! Why can they not do it on a Sunday or in the evening?

Does anybody know anything I can do or has anybody else had the same problem? Surely they should supply me with a generator or some kind of compensation. It can't be that they can just do this?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,224 ✭✭✭Procrastastudy

You seem like a business person - have you read your ESB contract?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 78,523 ✭✭✭✭Victor

Utility contracts tend not to guarantee supply.

Are they actually closing it for the entire day or will they merely be making the connection on the day?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,294 ✭✭✭source

Utility contracts usually have clauses built in to cover situations like this. Have a read of your contract and see what you've signed before you go any further.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 29,473 ✭✭✭✭Our man in Havana

They are allowed to do this. ESB do not guarantee supply 24/7/365.

You have been given notice, make alternative arrangements.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,284 ✭✭✭wyndham

Zikka wrote: »
    Surely they should supply me with a generator or some kind of compensation.

Hire a generator?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 8 Zikka

Thanks for the feedback everyone. I have tried to get hold of the contract from building management and the landlord but nobody can locate it. We are renting in an office block so I did not sign anything.
    I'm sure they have themselves covered for this eventuality. I am just furious that it is happening to us. Was thinking generator alright if its not too costly - it's a pretty big office block. Will start googling...

Thanks!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8 Zikka

Sorry Victor - meant to say. They are cutting us off for the full day.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,062 ✭✭✭dermot_sheehan

https://www.electricireland.ie/ei/business/downloads/esb-supply-agreement-business.pdf

http://www.esb.ie/esbnetworks/en/commercial-downloads/Standard-Connection-Agreement.pdf

There is an agreement not to hold ESB liable in tort or in contract from the use of electricity.

Interesting condition 9 lists the permitted reasons for de-energisation, the only one that seems applicable is "events outside our control"

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,423 ✭✭✭Tow

I have seen the ESB bringing in their own generator truck when doing work which cuts off power. It may be a matter of kicking up enough fuss.

When is the money (including lost growth) Michael Noonan took in the Pension Levy going to be paid back?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,221 ✭✭✭BrianD

Tow wrote: »
    I have seen the ESB bringing in their own generator truck when doing work which cuts off power. It may be a matter of kicking up enough fuss.

Ehh, if the power is cut off then the ESB works have no power either. Generator is probably for their own purposes.

If it's a big enough office, there is good reason to ask why there is no standby power in the building.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 148 ✭✭sparcocars

BrianD wrote: »
    Ehh, if the power is cut off then the ESB works have no power either. Generator is probably for their own purposes.

If it's a big enough office, there is good reason to ask why there is no standby power in the building.

The generator truck is used to power up the network. Their fairly substantial generators and would be capable of delivering a couple of hundred amps per phase and are generally used to keep power on in estates when essential works are taking place. The generator is a syncronised generator so it can be connected up to the system without any loss to supply even if there is big load on the system. Depending on your particular situation the generator may not be able to be used there.

Any tools used by the esb will usually be petrol drvien or hydraulic driven from the truck or battery powered anyway.

Advertisement