Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

keysi fighting method

• 22-03-2012 11:58pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 173 ✭✭

[S][/S]Iwas just wondering if anyone trained in Keysi fighting method whats your opinion

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,549 ✭✭✭✭cowzerp

[S][/S]Iwas just wondering if anyone trained in Keysi fighting method whats your opinion

Never trained it but based on the program i seen on it with that celebrity MMA lad, it was rubbish and the lad who made it as far as i can remember said that he had no training bar real life fighting :rolleyes:

Basically he learned how to cover your head up like your cowering and make it out to be a good martial art!

Rush Boxing club and Rush Martial Arts head coach.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 748 ✭✭✭boxer.fan

Seems a bit like an effort at rebranding that krav maga type stuff.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,674 ✭✭✭Peetrik

cowzerp wrote: »
    cowering and make it out to be a good martial art!
    boxer.fan wrote: »
    rebranding that krav maga type stuff.

same same

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 173 ✭✭crosstrainer1

i was just looking at their web site and it seems to be a franchise system. £1500 for courses plus £250 per year to teach under kfm it seems there are people trying to claim the rights to 1000s of years of martial arts evaluation.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,094 ✭✭✭cletus

I thought it was originally used as combat choreography for films as opposed to actual fighting, ala Batman Begins.

It seems, to me at least, that once it gained some popularity it was suddenly an effective combat system.

Completely open to being corrected on the above

**edit** there used to be a "history" section on their website, but all you get now is a 404 page

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,748 ✭✭✭Dermighty

cowzerp wrote: »
    the lad who made it as far as i can remember said that he had no training bar real life fighting :rolleyes:

The guys who made it are both black belts (and instructors) in Jeet Kune Do under Dan Inosanto and (as far as I know) purple belts in bjj under JJ Machado.

I trained KFM from 2007 until 2011. I know the instructor quite well and it's not being taught (by a certified trainer) in the Republic of Ireland any longer.

KFM is a great system and a valid form of self defence, unfortunately there's a lot of politics that go with affiliation and being an instructor and this, in my opinion, ruins KFM.

IMO KFM is great, the business and promotional side of it is the opposite.

Regarding the Alex Reid show thing, I watched that and it was f*cking painful to watch to say the least, he made it look really bad and he also made it look a lot harder than it is. I've done the S2C8/DNR course (whatever they call it now, they changed the name a few times) and there's some good stuff in it. There's nothing in KFM that works all the time, but there is some solid stuff there, unfortunately shrouded by poor marketing and ridiculous politics.

I found an article on KFM here which describes KFM as: a close quarters fighting system, relying on understanding how people typically move or attack in a fight so that when striking, the opponent’s body moves to expose further targets.

That's an accurate representation of what it is, how effective it is depends on how people use it and train it. It's not a one stop solution for a "street fight". KFM isn't all about fighting in the street, it's based around the potential of a fight occurring anywhere, doesn't have to be the street, just has to do with self defence scenarios which aren't always spacious, well lit, dry, indoors places.

The first 6 belt grades focus on technique with some scenarios and the black belt work introduces no new moves, just all scenario training.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 173 ✭✭crosstrainer1

Ive just read your views dermighty and i have to say that it seems like you put your heart and soul into kfm but didnt get much back. Yes andy and justo were under the inosanto programme thats why to alot of people in the jkd family say, keysi = kali. Kali,f.m.a, filipio boxing call it what you want give it a spanish name (most of the kali system is in spanish anyway) that how we see it as.Which is grand i like certain concepts of KFM i like it because it blends with the kali. Because under the inosanto programme kali is a big part of the instructor training. As we say in jkd give acknowledgement to the source of the concept. KFM doent do that. In my opinion its a closed and inward looking martial art. if it opened up it could be more approachable to martial artsist like myself. By the way What grade did you achive in kfm:)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,748 ✭✭✭Dermighty

Ive just read your views dermighty and i have to say that it seems like you put your heart and soul into kfm but didnt get much back. Yes andy and justo were under the inosanto programme thats why to alot of people in the jkd family say, keysi = kali. Kali,f.m.a, filipio boxing call it what you want give it a spanish name (most of the kali system is in spanish anyway) that how we see it as.Which is grand i like certain concepts of KFM i like it because it blends with the kali. Because under the inosanto programme kali is a big part of the instructor training. As we say in jkd give acknowledgement to the source of the concept. KFM doent do that. In my opinion its a closed and inward looking martial art. if it opened up it could be more approachable to martial artsist like myself. By the way What grade did you achive in kfm:)

KFM lifts stuff directly from other martial arts, which it never denies (in my experience). What it brands as unique or whatever is the method in which it uses them.I wouldn't entirely agree that kfm = kali. I think kfm = kfm. It just takes stuff from all the other martial arts, keeps the things that work and avoids the stuff that doesn't. It's not the owner or creator of anything other than the order it puts things in. All the moves and techniques in Keysi are from other martial arts (seems that way to me) but what makes it its own martial art is how it uses them together.

I got a lot out of it because my instructor was excellent.

I'm a blue grade. You start with nothing and you go from that to [white-yellow-orange](Phase 1) [green-blue-brown](Phase 2) [black](Phase 3). Those three phases make up level 1, with level 2 being black belt grade 2 and so on.

All black belts in keysi can only be graded by the top two guys.

Instructors can generally teach up to their own level (it's not as straightforward as that but I'm simplifying it). Chief instructors are in charge of the instructors under them and are generally a higher grade. Elite instructors can teach all grades and give grades up to and including brown. All black belts in keysi can only be graded by the top two guys, happens once a year at the world conference (in Spain usually).

Keysi has a good foundation, consistently a big focus on body mechanics and movement with striking stemming from the movement. The structure is good, it's a clear path from white to brown and like a lot of martial arts everyone does it differently (beyond the basics). Some people prefer kicks/knees, some prefer hammers/punches and some prefer elbows/head butts.

Advertisement