Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Converse

• 22-03-2012 11:59pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,461 ✭✭✭

I have been wearing converse on and off for years, since my early teens (21 now!) today I took a picture of something in a shop window and while reviewing the picture I noticed my reflection...and my cons....they almost look like clown shoes! What's everyone else's opinion on them? I love wearing them but feel a bit paranoid now. Do they look unflattering to anyone else?

Not sure if it makes a difference but I tend to wear them with shorts or casual dresses/skirts.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,397 ✭✭✭Gamb!t

dee. wrote: »
    I have been wearing converse on and off for years, since my early teens (21 now!) today I took a picture of something in a shop window and while reviewing the picture I noticed my reflection...and my cons....they almost look like clown shoes! What's everyone else's opinion on them? I love wearing them but feel a bit paranoid now. Do they look unflattering to anyone else?

Not sure if it makes a difference but I tend to wear them with shorts or casual dresses/slirts.
    Im a proud owner(2 pairs)
    Converse are great seem to be really popular again.Id rather those than Nike or Addidas :D

• Registered Users Posts: 1,461 ✭✭✭dee.

Gamb!t wrote: »
    Im a proud owner(2 pairs)
    Converse are great seem to be really popular again.Id rather those than Nike or Addidas :D

Converse are the only casual shoes I wear (have two pairs of vans slipons but they're worn to death now!) so I do agree they look better than the other brands but I'm still worried i look like I'm wearing clown shoes when they're on my feet. Maybe it's because they're lo tops and all my other pairs are hi tops.. I never noticed it before and have been wearing them a long time

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,397 ✭✭✭Gamb!t

Converse are the only casual shoes I wear (have two pairs of vans slipons but they're worn to death now!) so I do agree they look better than the other brands but I'm still worried i look like I'm wearing clown shoes when they're on my feet. Maybe it's because they're lo tops and all my other pairs are hi tops.. I never noticed it before and have been wearing them a long time
    Mine are size 12 and it doesn't bother me.
    Depends on the pants you wear with them I guess.

• Registered Users Posts: 209 ✭✭Saorenza

I have four pairs, love them. I love that you can get so many colours and patterns and most importantly they are comfortable on my feet and don't aggravate my tendon injuries. You can get slimmer versions of the regular ones - how about trying them?

Personally I don't see a problem with them - I wear them with dresses, skirts, jeans, etc.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,691 ✭✭✭Lia_lia

Yeah I live in Converse. Been wearing them since I was a baby...in my 20's now! My Mother is 48 and still wears them!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 582 ✭✭✭Pomplamousse

I love converse, don't think they look like clown shoes at all!
    Have about 5 pairs:o

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,643 ✭✭✭R.D. aka MR.D

Not sure if it makes a difference but I tend to wear them with shorts or casual dresses/skirts.

i think when you look at them on yourself they always look bigger. I worked in a shop where they sell converse and loads of people would try them on and say oh no they look way to big but they looked totally fine to me!!!

The only time I would say (in my head!) they looked big was the size 8's on girls. But they would look totally fine with jeans but maybe not with shorts etc.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,461 ✭✭✭dee.

i think when you look at them on yourself they always look bigger. I worked in a shop where they sell converse and loads of people would try them on and say oh no they look way to big but they looked totally fine to me!!!

The only time I would say (in my head!) they looked big was the size 8's on girls. But they would look totally fine with jeans but maybe not with shorts etc.

I wear the size 8's and I'm a girl! The 8's are too big for me but the 7 is too small, so I just get the 8's and wear heel guards/insoles with them. I'm never paranoid when I wear other shoes but the converse definitely have me all paranoid now!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,478 ✭✭✭padi89

Never liked them OP always found them to be incredibly goofy looking, its rare to see them look good on someone.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,931 ✭✭✭Ilyana

I like them, but I'm short with big-ish feet so sometimes they look clown-like on me when I'm wearing them with skinny jeans.

Having said that, when they look good they look awesome :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,513 ✭✭✭✭Lucyfur

Love my cons!! I have an embarrassing amount! I love the way they look:)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,195 ✭✭✭✭Michellenman

What's the best way to clean them? I've two pairs here but they need a good clean before summer. Can I just bung them in the washing machine in a pillow case?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,110 ✭✭✭eviltimeban

As the years have gone by, trouser widths have gotten narrower and narrower, at least those that are accepted in polite society.

So its only natural to feel that the shoes are bigger looking, because nowadays there is more Converse on display than there might have been say 10 years ago, when we were all running around in baggy / wide jeans.

They do look good with slim jeans though. I'm size 12 as well and think they're fine. I also wear Vans and I find them worse for the clown shoe problem. I squeeze into an 11 as the 12 is just too big!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,513 ✭✭✭✭Lucyfur

What's the best way to clean them? I've two pairs here but they need a good clean before summer. Can I just bung them in the washing machine in a pillow case?

I throw mine straight in the machine on a wool wash.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,116 ✭✭✭Salty

A lot of people think they look like clown shoes when they look down at their own feet. I work in a shop that sells them and it's something that I'm asked on a daily basis! But they don't look that long at all!:)

We would never advise customers to put their shoes in the washing machine...you can buy cleaner for 5 or 6 euro! You just have to make sure that you buy the correct cleaner for the material.:)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,195 ✭✭✭✭Michellenman

_meehan_ wrote: »
    A lot of people think they look like clown shoes when they look down at their own feet. I work in a shop that sells them and it's something that I'm asked on a daily basis! But they don't look that long at all!:)

We would never advise customers to put their shoes in the washing machine...you can buy cleaner for 5 or 6 euro! You just have to make sure that you buy the correct cleaner for the material.:)

I work in a shoe shop that sells cons too and nothing we have cleans them properly and gets them looking like new again.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,040 ✭✭✭Scrappychimow

You should worry about the reflection of your head perhaps.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 9,722 Mod ✭✭✭✭Twee.

You should worry about the reflection of your head perhaps.

Please stay on topic. Helpful posting only.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,166 ✭✭✭carolinespring

I am well into my 30's and love my cons. I have far to many paors and they are just so comfy.

Part of my casual uniform of dark jeans, t-shirt and cardi.

I personally feel they look much more dressy than runners and love that you can get lots of colours. I am normally a size 7 but always get a 8 in converse as they are narrow. When you look down sometimes they can seem big looking but when I look in the mirror they look fine.

I just chuck mine in a pillow case in the washing maching and was on a wool wash and they come out lovely and clean, I dry then on the rads.

• Registered Users Posts: 22 annabelle79

Ive never bought a pair for that very reason, Im a size 8 and would be paranoid about my clown feet anyway, but converse def look huge on me!!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,713 ✭✭✭✭Novella

I really like Converse. Don't think they make feet look big at all.

Have a pair of black high tops myself. I love the look of them but can find the flat soles very uncomfortable so I don't wear them all of the time.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 9,722 Mod ✭✭✭✭Twee.

I'm a size 7 and wear my Converse all the time! I don't find my feet look big. The ones I have at the moment are the slimmer soled style, they don't look as bulky are the regular.

large-converse%20113892%20navy.JPG

Advertisement