Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Soup receipes/ideas

Options
  • 23-03-2012 12:21am
    Registered Users Posts: 1,461 ✭✭✭

Hey everyone
    I need to add more green veg to my diet...I'm a vegetarian who hates (most) green vegetables. It's not always the taste that makes me dislike a food, but the texture too. So I'm hoping to incorporate green vegetables into soup... Obviously I'd like a vegetable soup recipe that uses lots of different green veg, but even one that has a couple will do!
    Any suggestions/recipes welcome.
    Thank you!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,090 ✭✭✭livinsane

I've always believed that you can put nearly any veg together in a soup and it'll taste great! Add some potato for thickness and cream for richness and voila.

Broccoli is great in soup
    Celery gives any veg soup a nice kick but can be over powering so go easy on it.
    Cabbage soup?
    Spinach and courgette?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,461 ✭✭✭dee.

Thanks for those ideas! I usually don't put much green veg in soup but I suppose I'll start experimenting :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,184 ✭✭✭neuro-praxis

I use Darina Allen's soup method: butter+1:1:3:4

50g butter
    1 cup potato
    1 cup onion
    3 cups of any other vegetable
    4 cups of good quality stock

Melt the butter in a heavy-bottomed saucepan (in truth I now only use about 25g). When it foams, add the onion and potato. Season lightly with salt, and plenty of black pepper. Coat in the butter, and turn the heat down low. Seal with a paper cover (parchment etc.), put the lid on, and sweat for ten minutes.

Remove the lid and discard the paper cover. Add the rest of the veg. Saute for 1 minute. Add the stock, and boil for ten minutes or until the veg is just tender. Do not overcook the veg or you'll lose its depth of flavour.

Liquidize, taste for seasoning, gently re-heat, and stir a spoonful of cream into each bowl when serving.

Perfect every time.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,461 ✭✭✭dee.

Thank you very much for that! I think I will also use less butter, excited to try it though

• Registered Users Posts: 29 Paul24

I made a medium pot size of vegetable soup last week with some carrot, parsnip, onion, celery and potato. I added a tablespoon of medium curry powder as the vetebales were finishing sweating off. After cooking it out for about 2 minutes I added the stock and let it finish.

It added a nice bite to the soup while still maintaining the flavours of the vegetable.

Went down well in our house.
    Paul24

• Advertisement
Advertisement