Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Sore eye on cat

• 23-03-2012 1:27am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 746 ✭✭✭

Hi guys,

There is stray cat wandering near where I live, i think a couple of people including myself leave out food for her, the last couple of times i've seen here i have noticed she has pus weeping from one of her eyes, it looks sore although she does not seem in pain. She is pretty wild and very mistrusting of people so getting near her is difficult, never mind catching her to bring to vet.

Just wondering if anyone has any pointers on anything i could do for her, like is there any tablet i could buy from a vets surgery and mix it with some food i can leave out.

I know its difficult to give an answer based on this, i just said id post in case its a common problem with cats. I've never had a pet myself so its all a bit alien to me.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,441 ✭✭✭planetX

If you could build up trust by feeding her, maybe you'll eventually be able to catch her. You can get cat traps from most rescues. She needs vet treatment, the eye may already be beyond saving - and most importantly she needs to be neutered, or you'll soon have a problem with 7 stray cats...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,596 ✭✭✭anniehoo

She probably has a touch of cat flu, a lot of wild cats will have it at one time or another. As its caused by a virus theres nothing you can give for it, although he may give you a general antibiotic if theres a secondary bacterial infection there if she got a scrape or something. Its rarely fatal in healthy enough adult cats and should pass over time if it is cat flu.

You could help her along by boosting her immune system with some herbal drops such as milk thistle and echinachea in her water or food too.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,441 ✭✭✭planetX

one of my cats lost an eye through cat flu, and would probably have died of the infectionthroughout her eye socket - pus isn't a good sign:(

• Closed Accounts Posts: 746 ✭✭✭Starokan

cheers for the replies guys, i borrowed a pet carrier from a mate so will see can i lure her in. If i can ill bring her to the vet.

Going to call into vets surgery on my way home & see can i get those herbal drops .

On the plus side i got a glimpse of her this morning and the eye looked a good deal better to me

thanks again for help

Advertisement