Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Hashers (running club)

Options
  • 23-03-2012 2:09am
    Registered Users Posts: 129 ✭✭

anybody know if there is a hash house harriers group in galway

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 78,417 ✭✭✭✭Victor

A what? :)

• Registered Users Posts: 81,220 ✭✭✭✭biko

Afaik there is just one in Ireland.
    www.dublinhhh.com

• Registered Users Posts: 6,106 ✭✭✭antoobrien

Might want to explain that one for the rest of us (of those to lazy to click the link).

Alternatively you could start one up yourself and when the real group show up call them splitters;)

• Registered Users Posts: 235 ✭✭Caribs

on on...!!!! :D

• Registered Users Posts: 3,447 ✭✭✭evil_seed

I had this explained to me in a pub one night. I'd like to get involved in it. Apparently there is a hasher in galway but he's a member of dublin or something. Like I said I was in a pub when I heard about it so I'm a bit hazy on the details

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 255 ✭✭mooonpie

biko wrote: »
    Afaik there is just one in Ireland.
    www.dublinhhh.com

Ow, my eyes! It's so green! :(

• Registered Users Posts: 129 ✭✭pat25c

best described as drinkers with a running problem , a course is set out , and the runners run it & and afterwards go to some place for beer , usually out the back of a car , i did it a few years ago in Melbourne & loved it , its kind of a running/drinking/fitness/social club.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,067 ✭✭✭pjmn

... brings back memories of 'hashing' evenings in Athlone...

...on on...
    ... false trail....
    ... turn back...

off for 'down downs'!

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,940 ✭✭✭BhoscaCapall

pat25c wrote: »
    best described as drinkers with a running problem , a course is set out , and the runners run it & and afterwards go to some place for beer , usually out the back of a car , i did it a few years ago in Melbourne & loved it , its kind of a running/drinking/fitness/social club.
    Turns out I've been doing something very similar all the years, without knowing what it was called.

It was that minus the running.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 19,240 Mod ✭✭✭✭L.Jenkins

Well if anyone wants to start one for running, let me know. I need to get fit again.

• Advertisement

i was thinking of starting one, i just need to find out a bit more about the set up , watch this space

So..

is it essentially running from pub-to-pub?

So..

is it essentially running from pub-to-pub?

no , its a course set out by the 'hares' which the 'hounds' try to follow , @ the end beer is drank , songs are sung and much socializing is done

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,725 ✭✭✭charlemont

Whats all this about ? And does it involve my favourite herb ?

charlemont wrote: »
    Whats all this about ? And does it involve my favourite herb ?

no , nothing to do with hash, well maby , back in the privacy of your own home

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,940 ✭✭✭BhoscaCapall

I've always found it hard to put myself into the mindset of someone who finds running enjoyable, but surely this is a bit like going to the McDonald's drive-thru after a session in the gym?

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 19,240 Mod ✭✭✭✭L.Jenkins

I've always found it hard to put myself into the mindset of someone who finds running enjoyable, but surely this is a bit like going to the McDonald's drive-thru after a session in the gym?

It can be a bit monotonous, but you have to make your own fun, even a game out of it. Listen to music, get up to a nice distance and see if you can beat it next time around or how many race finisher t-shirts can you accumulate in 12 months.

• Registered Users Posts: 26 eatwatchdress

Just read about this on the Irish Times, would definitely be up for starting up a Galway club if anyone's interested!

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,470 ✭✭✭Whereisgalway

Did this ever go anywhere, I'm intrigued

• Registered Users Posts: 3,772 ✭✭✭civis_liberalis

The objectives of the Hash House Harriers as recorded on the club registration card dated 1950:

- To promote physical fitness among our members
    - To get rid of weekend hangovers
    - To acquire a good thirst and to satisfy it in beer
    - To persuade the older members that they are not as old as they feel

Wikpedia link

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 58 ✭✭rowr

The objectives of the Hash House Harriers as recorded on the club registration card dated 1950:

- To promote physical fitness among our members
    - To get rid of weekend hangovers
    - To acquire a good thirst and to satisfy it in beer
    - To persuade the older members that they are not as old as they feel

Wikpedia link

Sounds like a more organised version of drinking down the Spanish Arch and running like hell when the cops arrive

• Registered Users Posts: 25,957 ✭✭✭✭Mrs OBumble

rowr wrote: »
    Sounds like a more organised version of drinking down the Spanish Arch and running like hell when the cops arrive

Pretty much.

Like someone said before, they're drinkers with a running problem.

Advertisement