Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Relax the profanity censor?

Options
  • 23-03-2012 2:09am
    Registered Users Posts: 8,826 ✭✭✭

Hey guys;

I'm wondering if you could tone down the profanity censor so that it doesn't mess up links?

In the Infrastructure/Roads forum there's a thread discussing ongoing works on the M1, and the discussion strayed to a joke about weird placenames, specifically a route called "Hearse Road" and how one might not like to be selling a house there.
    http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2055910504

I responded by writing, in a joke, about a certain location in Co. Cork (Fagg*t Hill) and while the censor broke my text (ok fair enough) it also broke the link to Google Maps.

I remember something similar years ago when someone posting something to do with Matsushita. Again, the crude word filter didn't catch the fact that it was not a profanity, and it also broke a link IIRC.
    Post edited by Shield on

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 83,140 ✭✭✭✭Overheal

I doubt it needs to be broken for the use of the word f****t. Very few acceptable circumstances where you could use that word.

You can simply proxy the url you are trying to link to using http://tinyurl.com

• Registered Users Posts: 14,739 ✭✭✭✭minidazzler

Not really a person who knows much about programming, but would it be possible for the censor to exclude words that are parsed in the [./url] tags?

Though, to be fair, it's certainly not gonna be done before the new API.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27,944 ✭✭✭✭4zn76tysfajdxp

Overheal wrote: »
    I doubt it needs to be broken for the use of the word f****t. Very few acceptable circumstances where you could use that word.

My proposed Bundle of Sticks forum is a no-go then. :mad:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 732 ✭✭✭Boards.ie: Nicola

I'm not sure this is something we'd be doing without careful consideration-how relaxed a swear filter is too relaxed?

As has been said elsewhere, we are prioritising bigger projects at the moment :cool:

• Registered Users Posts: 8,826 ✭✭✭SeanW

My proposed Bundle of Sticks forum is a no-go then. :mad:
    Bundle of Sticks?
    I'm not sure this is something we'd be doing without careful consideration-how relaxed a swear filter is too relaxed?

As has been said elsewhere, we are prioritising bigger projects at the moment :cool:
    I'm not suggesting that the filter be relaxed in terms of words it filters, but rather, what post data is subject to the filter. There are legitimate reasons to use "swear" words as part of larger words eg:
    ****** Hill
    Matsu****a
    Scunthorpe, England.
    Arsenal etc.

It's no big deal if the filter ****s these in text, but when the 'offending' terms are used in links, it really does more harm than good to filter them. There may also be a legitimate reason to link to a site that uses a profane word in its URL, for example years ago there was a website called f**kmicrosoft. I don't think it serves any purpose to break those links.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 23,212 ✭✭✭✭Tom Dunne

But the point is that this is not something that can be done in a minute or two.

From what you are asking, it sounds like a programming task. I believe the developers have quite a lot on their plates at the moment and that unfortunately, something like this would be way down the list of priorities.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,065 ✭✭✭✭Malice

SeanW wrote: »
    Bundle of Sticks?
    That's one of various definitions of the word faggot.

I'd also like to see the filter not parse URLs or at least parse them a bit more intelligently.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,507 ✭✭✭✭Cookie_Monster

how about just getting rid of it altogether. Censorship of mere words is juvenile in the extreme anyway.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,705 ✭✭✭✭Tigger

how about just getting rid of it altogether. Censorship of mere words is juvenile in the extreme anyway.

its only for fuckers that joined since '06

• Closed Accounts Posts: 41,926 ✭✭✭✭_blank_

Scunthorpe.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,826 ✭✭✭SeanW

Tigger wrote: »
    its only for fuckers that joined since '06
    Explain?

• Registered Users Posts: 15,065 ✭✭✭✭Malice

SeanW wrote: »
    Explain?
    I read it as a joke given that Cookie_Monster registered in 2007 and therefore would have been affected by the swear filter unlike Tigger with his join date of 2005.

Malice wrote: »
    I read it as a joke given that Cookie_Monster registered in 2007 and therefore would have been affected by the swear filter unlike Tigger with his join date of 2005.

Also there was cursing in my post showing that I'm unaffected

I thought it was funny it seems I was mistaken

• Registered Users Posts: 8,584 ✭✭✭TouchingVirus

Also there was cursing in my post showing that I'm unaffected

I thought it was funny it seems I was mistaken

No, it was a very well put together troll. Though it was blatantly untrue I still had to think about it :)

• Registered Users Posts: 24,507 ✭✭✭✭Cookie_Monster

Malice wrote: »

what fucking filter? :D;)

what fucking filter? :D;)

I use cloud so thats still filtered

• Closed Accounts Posts: 41,926 ✭✭✭✭_blank_

I use cloud so thats still filtered

you can just use the [nofilter] tags

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,620 ✭✭✭_AVALANCHE_

shit <--->Their, I cursed to.

Advertisement