Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Rifling through the bins

• 23-03-2012 3:08am
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,085 ✭✭✭

My Boxer whenever he gets the chance is in the bins, I went to the bathroom tonight, came back and found the bin tipped over with the rubbish strewn all over, even if there is no left over food in there he will still do it, came home one night to find our upstairs in bits as he had pulled out bins and ripped all the rubbish to pieces.

He never goes near a bin when one of us is in the room with him but the second you leave he is in there a quick as a flash. When you come back in he has a big guilty head on him as he knows he's not allowed.

Any ideas of what to do with him, I am not in the room so how do I correct the behaviour.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,736 ✭✭✭✭kylith

The only way you can be 100% sure is to make sure that he can't get to the bin when you're not there; move the bin to somewhere inaccessible or remove him from the room.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,045 ✭✭✭✭tk123

Didn't somebody say a while back that set up a webcam/laptop for a similar issue - ie it was happening when they were outside the room so they could spy on and correct the dog? :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,085 ✭✭✭meoklmrk91

kylith wrote: »
    The only way you can be 100% sure is to make sure that he can't get to the bin when you're not there; move the bin to somewhere inaccessible or remove him from the room.

I suppose you are right, the little fecker is too clever though, he can open doors and reach heights you would never think. Might have to lock doors when leaving the house, now I just have to find the keys :?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,846 ✭✭✭barbiegirl

What about a child lock for the bin?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,085 ✭✭✭meoklmrk91

barbiegirl wrote: »
    What about a child lock for the bin?

It's actually usually not the kitchen bin, it's usually the little waste paper baskets that he gets into.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 138 ✭✭MissRetro

Put something he won't like the taste of on top of the rubbish (chilli powder maybe?), you'll probably have to do this a few times for him to link the action with the bad taste but it should work..

• Registered Users Posts: 207 ✭✭stevekavo

Boxers are legends for doing things on the sly. Mine wont go near bins but as soon as im out of the door he is either up on the sofa or on the bed snoring and when you catch him he has the big guilty head on him and all you can do is laugh.:D

Advertisement