Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

RE:Ban

Options
  • 23-03-2012 5:19am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 5,059 ✭✭✭

I'd like to dispute my ban please.

Comments

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 42,362 Mod ✭✭✭✭Beruthiel

Detalis?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,059 ✭✭✭Sindri

I was banned from AH.

I feel the reason given and, particularly, in the context that the decision was taken to be unreasonable.

• Registered Users Posts: 29,509 ✭✭✭✭randylonghorn

It is normal to give details of the ban you're contesting as per 2. above; if you want it reviewed it's the least you can do, and it's a lot easier for you to find the relevant thread etc. as you know which one it is than it is for me to have to go trawling and guess.

However, I have (wasted my scarce time) and managed to find the relevant details.

Sindri, you constantly troll, I've noticed it myself before ... you even boast about it here:
    Sindri wrote: »
    You should note I have decided to troll this thread into oblivion, coz that's just how I operate. :cool:

You are constantly uncivil to other posters, as in the thread from which that post is drawn:
    ...C) you can either deal with it without being a little bitch or you can post somewhere else because either AHs will change or you will change or you'll have to put up with it which appears to be a task beyond you.
    You have had 4 previous short bans from AH in the past 3 months for much the same sort of stuff, you obviously haven't learned anything from it, and it's AH policy that bans get longer for repeat offences (you might want to bear that in mind when you return).

I'm sorry, but I can see no reason to overturn the local Mod's decision.

Here is the reason given for my ban.

The thread is here.

Here are excerpts from the thread.

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showpost.php?p=77726836&postcount=1

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showpost.php?p=77727012&postcount=11

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showpost.php?p=77727117&postcount=14

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showpost.php?p=77727988&postcount=29

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showpost.php?p=77730072&postcount=91

I don't think that the ban is fair. I think the basis and in the context that the ban was given is unreasonable. It's inconsistent and unfair for the reason I was given for the ban. There's a lot of abuse there towards me and the thread had the potential for criticism of me rather than the stated contents of the OP, and criticism of me did occur. I think that the potential the thread had for criticism of me and the criticism of me that did occur was unacceptable. I thought the thread would either of been closed or moved, whichever was appropriate and I feel the thread should have been closed or moved. It's inconsistent and unduly unfair considering the circumstances. You're position and affirmation I feel is somewhat prejudicial. I have never contested another ban and I've only once felt another ban to have been unwarranted. I feel this issue and this disputation should be judged on it's merits. I don't think that that is unreasonable.
    I don't think my objection to this ban is unreasonable nor can I see how my objections would be seen as unreasonable.
    I really feel let down by the mods on this site. I don't think what occurred is acceptable and I don't think the potential and actual occurrence of denigration of me on a thread on the most popular forum of the site is fair. I don't see why and what I've outlined above is unreasonable and why my objections would not have been apparent. And I don't see why I would be banned while a thread with the potential for denigration of me was left open and no juridical action was taken by the mods for those denigrative posts directed towards me. I feel it's akin to bullying and I really feel let down and disappointed with this site.

The ban, I feel, in the circumstances, is unfair.

I found the relevant thread after some searching, thanks. A link to it would have been handy in the FIRST post. :)

The posts from the thread you have chosen to quote highlight something else for me tbh; that your constant trolling has been noticed by other people apart from myself and the AH mods.

Whether that thread should be reviewed and any other posters sanctioned I will leave to the AH mods.

This thread is for one purpose: to determine whether your ban was fair.

In my view it was.

You do of course have the option to ask an Admin to review if you wish.

• Advertisement

The posts from the thread you have chosen to quote highlight something else for me tbh; that your constant trolling has been noticed by other people apart from myself and the AH mods.

Had it been noticed I would of thought would not be relevant to the disputation. This ban was given on the premise of my conduct in that thread, not on my past conduct. That is not judging the ban on it's merits, it's considering my past conduct, of expired infractions, and factoring that into your decision, which is prejudicial. I don't think that that is reasonable.

I don't believe the ban in the circumstances to be fair and I'd question the ethical juridical decision to ban me in the context of the thread.
    This thread is for one purpose: to determine whether your ban was fair.

If my ban was fair, on what grounds do you think it was fair? Does it not strike you as notably inconsistent and furthermore somewhat biased? It would appear the reason for the ban was because of my conduct, but my conduct was influenced by the nature of the thread, a thread that I feel was inappropriate, a thread that was inappropriately left open and also inappropriately located and which contained denigrative posts directed towards me. It's just to me that's egregiously inconsistent and inappropriate. Maybe we should invite the relevant moderator(s) to discuss their reasons for the ban?

Had it been noticed I would of thought would not be relevant to the disputation. This ban was given on the premise of my conduct in that thread, not on my past conduct. That is not judging the ban on it's merits, it's considering my past conduct, of expired infractions, and factoring that into your decision, which is prejudicial. I don't think that that is reasonable.

I don't believe the ban in the circumstances to be fair and I'd question the ethical juridical decision to ban me in the context of the thread.
    Firstly, this is not a court of law, and we are not bound by the Rules of Evidence or any such, so words like "juridicial" have no place in this discussion. Fair play and justice, yes, that's certainly what I would hope to aim for ... but I'm long enough in the tooth to have discovered, like most adults, that the legal system gives more weight to legal rules and technicalities than it does to those core concepts which should underpin it, so bombarding me with legalese, I'm afraid, will leave me singularly unimpressed.

Secondly, then, the question is: is your ban fair?

As I stated, in my view it is.

You may have missed my comment above:
    Sindri, you constantly troll, I've noticed it myself before ... you even boast about it here:

You are constantly uncivil to other posters, as in the thread from which that post is drawn.

You have had 4 previous short bans from AH in the past 3 months for much the same sort of stuff, you obviously haven't learned anything from it, and it's AH policy that bans get longer for repeat offences (you might want to bear that in mind when you return).
    Yes, your previous bans / infractions etc. are relevant: they demonstrate a history of the same type of behaviour. They demonstrate that it has been brought to your attention before, and that you have not learned anything from it. Therefore the only choice is to escalate the ban, in the hope that the message will filter through this time.

Thus, it's policy in AH (and some other forums) that bans get longer for repeat offences. And to my mind, that is fair, just and also necessary.

Btw, I note that there were no reported posts from you re: the thread which you now deem to be unacceptable. Personally, I would have liked to see it closed sooner too, but mods are not full-time staff on a rota, and they get to things when they can.

You could have helped them by drawing their attention to that thread.

You didn't.

In fact, you only decided that it was unacceptable when its unacceptability became a factor in your argument here.

tl;dr: Imho your ban is both fair and appropriate.

You do of course have the option to ask an Admin to review if you wish.

I do not however intend to engage in a game of ping-pong with you; my time is far too scarce at the moment. I will not therefore be responding here again.

In fact, you only decided that it was unacceptable when its unacceptability became a factor in your argument here.

That's not true and I resent that.
    I do not however intend to engage in a game of ping-pong with you; my time is far too scarce at the moment. I will not therefore be responding here again.

OK sorry for taking up your time and I mean that sincerely. I won't bother an Admin with it though I do feel let down by the site and still feel it was unreasonable and unjustified.

That's not true and I resent that.
    Ok, it may not be true, in fact; I shouldn't have put it quite so bluntly, my apologies.

But it IS what the evidence suggests, which is probably how I should have phrased it.

Advertisement