Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

good spot to go out in melbourne?

Options
  • 23-03-2012 6:04am
    Registered Users Posts: 2,683 ✭✭✭

Hi Guys,

Have not been out on the lash properly since arriving so heading out tomm night:) As i dont really know any spots where would ya recommend,some here have mentioned elephant & wheelbarrow before?(sure thats what it was called). Just somewhere lively i guess,im based on russell street at the moment if thats any help.

Cheers:)

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,240 ✭✭✭hussey

What are you looking for?
    Dark and dingy backpacker central = Elephant & wheelbarrow
    Good to watch match, cheesy music and pulling a backpacker/uni student

or you looking for something else?

• Registered Users Posts: 621 ✭✭✭dave3004

Based on Russell St? You staying in Space Hotel?

Anyways the city has some great places nearby.

If you wanna keep it Irish go to PJ O'briens in Southbank for a big copperslike place full of ugly irish ppl.

For a quiet drink with an irish ambiance go to "The Irish Times"

However since you said out on the lash I reckon you wanna hit it hard. Try any club on Lonsdale / Queen or King Street. Then when you think your night is over get a taxi to Chapel St to REVOLVER where drugs are plentiful, drop a tablet and go on til the next day……

I am staying in with the missus tonight :(

• Registered Users Posts: 2,683 ✭✭✭zweton

haha dave that sounds good to me man ya staying in space hostel lovely spot,na doesnt have to be irish! are they all chart music clubs? Looking for a club that plays some decent dance music wana dance my socks off:D think il avoid elephant & wheelbarrow!

quality spot called RETRO.

Full of women. Plays 70s/80s/90s dance music.

Im good friends with Sarah who works the desk there in Space. Tell her her mate Dave said hi and if you are outgoing tell her....."It looks like you have Dave fever"...... ;)

Ive never been but I heard Sorry Grandma plays dance music too.

Theres an allright spot on Swanston st called The Lounge.

Its opposite Cookie (which is overrate coz it has a rooftop bar)

• Advertisement

Zweton, theres a high class place on Russell St called Spice Market or Spice Temple of something. I aint been but by all accounts is full of posh tottie and is a class spot. Not easy to get in though. No runners or tee shirts. Gotta be dolled up. Right enjoy your weekend and let me know how your weekend goes :P Betcha end up in the blue cafe ! :p

haha some great info there dave,wheres the blue cafe? (gay bar is it lol)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 216 ✭✭spudz21

Elephant & wheelbarrow=coppers of Melbourne!

I had great nights in Transport in the city or else Electric Ladyland on Chapel St:)

• Registered Users Posts: 595 ✭✭✭markymark21

Riteo if you want a really good selection of beers, good crowd and good live music check out the Local Tap House in Balaclava. Its just at the end of Chapel street (Tram 78 or 79). Its a super little bar. Its where people go to escape the knob heads that populate South Yarra/Chapel Street

If your in the city I recommend Murmur. Its one of Melbourne s 'hidden' bars. Its down Walburton Lane just of Little Burke. Really good cocktail bar that also does quality Tapa's. (There is a full tapa's restaurant downstairs) This would be my favourite bar in the city. The guys who run it are sound and if you work in the industry (like we do) you get 20% off on Sundays/Mondays and they'll look after you. Last time I was there they were the guy gave me two bottles of cider, a dark ale (which he insisted I try) and a shot of Tequila for nothing :)

....And finally check out 'Spoonbill' bar and restaurant (in the Olsen hotel) at the end of Chapel Street. Cocktails are only $15 and the food is good. That's where me and the missus work. If you pop in we'll look after you :)

Riteo if you want a really good selection of beers, good crowd and good live music check out the Local Tap House in Balaclava. Its just at the end of Chapel street (Tram 78 or 79). Its a super little bar. Its where people go to escape the knob heads that populate South Yarra/Chapel Street

If your in the city I recommend Murmur. Its one of Melbourne s 'hidden' bars. Its down Walburton Lane just of Little Burke. Really good cocktail bar that also does quality Tapa's. (There is a full tapa's restaurant downstairs) This would be my favourite bar in the city. The guys who run it are sound and if you work in the industry (like we do) you get 20% off on Sundays/Mondays and they'll look after you. Last time I was there they were the guy gave me two bottles of cider, a dark ale (which he insisted I try) and a shot of Tequila for nothing :)

....And finally check out 'Spoonbill' bar and restaurant (in the Olsen hotel) at the end of Chapel Street. Cocktails are only $15 and the food is good. That's where me and the missus work. If you pop in we'll look after you :)

:eek:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,670 ✭✭✭Doc

dave3004 wrote: »
    :eek:

You can pay a lot more in some places ;)

Base Hostel on Thursday night is ladies night.

Cocktails are $5.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,388 ✭✭✭GiftofGab

A place called the Night Cat in Fitzroy. There's a funk / jazz band playing there. It might not sound like your thing but check it out. Everybody loves that palce. It's full of ppl in their 20's and alot of backpackers too vibing to the band. Great craic.

Cocktails are $5.

In fairness I don't think you can compare the two. We're offering professionally made cocktails made by an award winning cocktail bartender in a 5 star hotel...

.. Base would be offering poorly made cocktails with pre-made mixers and juices in a hostel.. you can't compare the two

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1 Kripnal

that's great !! lazy summer going to begin and before it wanna to practice in Wembly , my friend going to fix match with other girls team !

• Registered Users Posts: 40,867 ✭✭✭✭Xavi6

Cocktails are $5.

I'd rahter pay the extra tenner not to be in the company of Base ladies.

/shudder

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,029 ✭✭✭Pisco Sour

In fairness I don't think you can compare the two. We're offering professionally made cocktails made by an award winning cocktail bartender in a 5 star hotel...

Went to a fancy bar called Lalaland in the CBD (burned down in the last year or so interestingly) and I ordered a Caipirinhia. The price was $16. She made a balls of it and I, and my Australian friend who I met in South America, had to, at her request, give her step by step instructions on how to make Brazil's finest cocktail. She then charged us 16 a pop.

No cocktail is worth $16, especially when the bartender doesn't know what she's doing!

Cheers Mark very kind of you, i must pop in some day and take a look.
    Is it far from russell street :)

On a day like today hit Section 8 which is VERY near where you are staying. Its a class place. Oozing individualism and style.

Or go to Transport Bar in Fed Square and sit in one of their 16 beer gardens.

Or go to Martyn House (Cookie) on Swanston St for the Rooftop bar which would be sweet today given the weather and that everyone is in work.

Regarding the cocktails, since hes staying in Space Hotel I was assuming he ain't exactly hitting 5 star hotels up when wanting to "go out on the lash".

On a day like today hit Section 8 which is VERY near where you are staying. Its a class place. Oozing individualism and style.

Or go to Transport Bar in Fed Square and sit in one of their 16 beer gardens.

Or go to Martyn House (Cookie) on Swanston St for the Rooftop bar which would be sweet today given the weather and that everyone is in work.

Regarding the cocktails, since hes staying in Space Hotel I was assuming he ain't exactly hitting 5 star hotels up when wanting to "go out on the lash".

Do you work for Lonely Planet Dave? :)

• Advertisement

04072511 wrote: »
    Went to a fancy bar called Lalaland in the CBD (burned down in the last year or so interestingly) and I ordered a Caipirinhia. The price was $16. She made a balls of it and I, and my Australian friend who I met in South America, had to, at her request, give her step by step instructions on how to make Brazil's finest cocktail. She then charged us 16 a pop.

No cocktail is worth $16, especially when the bartender doesn't know what she's doing!

Well firstly the missus is an award winning cocktail bartender so she has a fair idea..

Anyway you go to a bar, a vodka and coke is $8 right? A double is $16 right? So if a cocktail is made with two shots (sometimes premium liquors) fresh juices (limes are sometimes very expensive), home-made syrups (we make an awesome ginger and lemongrass syrup), complicated garnishes, expensive glassware and finally put together - all of which can take a few minutes.. I reckon $15 - $16 isn't a bad price for a drink

Certainly seems reasonable if a bottle of beer usually costs $9-$10 I reckon!

Oh and if a bartender can't lash together Cachaça, lime and sugar together to make a Caipirinhia then they ain't a bartender!

Well firstly the missus is an award winning cocktail bartender so she has a fair idea..

Anyway you go to a bar, a vodka and coke is $8 right? A double is $16 right? So if a cocktail is made with two shots (sometimes premium liquors) fresh juices (limes are sometimes very expensive), home-made syrups (we make an awesome ginger and lemongrass syrup), complicated garnishes, expensive glassware and finally put together - all of which can take a few minutes.. I reckon $15 - $16 isn't a bad price for a drink

Certainly seems reasonable if a bottle of beer usually costs $9-$10 I reckon!

Oh and if a bartender can't lash together Cachaça, lime and sugar together to make a Caipirinhia then they ain't a bartender!

I thought Boards.ie had rules against advertising ;):p

Jaysus, I don't know where you drink but I certainly would never pay 9-10 for a bottle of beer. I wont pay more than 9 for a pint when I am out.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,435 ✭✭✭mandrake04

04072511 wrote: »

Jaysus, I don't know where you drink but I certainly would never pay 9-10 for a bottle of beer

Maybe he's talking about at a lap dance club, going rate is $5.50 at my local and a schooner of Coopers is only $4.30

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,333 ✭✭✭Zambia

Your local lap dance club. . Cause thats good value especially for Sydney.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,615 ✭✭✭Hail 2 Da Thief

Zambia wrote: »

Any excuse eh!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,435 ✭✭✭mandrake04

Zambia wrote: »

Nah normal establishment about $5

$9-$10 for a bottle of beer is strip club prices or tourist prices.

mandrake04 wrote: »
    Nah normal establishment about $5

$9-$10 for a bottle of beer is strip club prices or tourist prices.

I've never seen a bottle of beer for less $7..

I'm sure there are places that do it, I've never seen it though. I haven't really looked either. I know my local does cheap schooners and pots..

Anyway to buy in a box of good beer - say, Little Creatures or The White Rabbit Range costs $50 odd so I can see why places charge $9 for these beers as to achieve 70%-80% gross profit (which most bars would aim for) in beverage sales they would need to charge these prices

Oh an unrelated note does anyone have any clue as to why some wines (which are made in Victoria) are cheaper in Ireland then in Oz? Dandelion Vine yards and Innocent Bystander wines come to mind..

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,333 ✭✭✭Zambia

7 Dollars is pretty much the high end of what I would pay for beer when I am out.

Well Section 8 bar is offically class:D Back early but will be going again soon what a spot!

• Advertisement

zweton wrote: »
    Well Section 8 bar is offically class:D Back early but will be going again soon what a spot!

That the bar that's built inside an old storage container? Any craic?

I've got so many bars/restaurants I wanna go to before I leave in a month but I'm fast running out of time. Now that two of our staff in work have been fired/quit looks like I won't get much time off work

..and Ive still to go to a footie game!

Advertisement