Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

granulated lime question

• 23-03-2012 11:14am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 3,087 ✭✭✭

lads i got quoted 160/t for gran lime, my soil test recommended i think 2.5 to 3 ton gound lime per acre for various plots, what would this equate to with granulated lime. have never used gran lime but thought it might be handy just to do a few bits here and there

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,438 ✭✭✭5live

lads i got quoted 160/t for gran lime, my soil test recommended i think 2.5 to 3 ton gound lime per acre for various plots, what would this equate to with granulated lime. have never used gran lime but thought it might be handy just to do a few bits here and there
    You might be better of with the ground lime. The granulated stuff is only good for one year iirc and works out at twice the cost over 5 years. There was a bit of an article in the Journal on it last week if you can lay your hands on one.

On your question, you would be looking at 2 bags per acre of gran lime i think

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 799 ✭✭✭oldsmokey

+1, that stuff is a rob. stick with ground lime.........

• Registered Users Posts: 181 ✭✭mattthetrasher

ground lime is 23 euro per tonne spread i think.better too.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,274 ✭✭✭Figerty

I put out gran Lime lastyear; there was no way the ground lime could have been spread with the ground conditions.

It made a huge difference to the qualtiy of the silage and grass.

You can spread it yourself; it is more expensive, but at least you know where it has been spread in the right amount, not just the top of the hills.

My recollection is that it is five times more effective than ground lime due to the particle size, but the effect doesn't last as long. I think I put out 1-2 bags to the acre. Some say its 10 times as effective.

All I know is that it worked for me and I spread it myself with wag tail.

• Registered Users Posts: 657 ✭✭✭josephsoap

I've another one

If you spread granulated limestone, how long should you leave the feild before you let cattle into that feild again ?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,274 ✭✭✭Figerty

I don't think it makes a difference to the cattle. I't not coating the leaf like ground lime.

Check ou the suppliers reccomendations

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,410 ✭✭✭bbam

josephsoap wrote: »
    I've another one

If you spread granulated limestone, how long should you leave the feild before you let cattle into that feild again ?

Also how long before spreading fertilizer??
    I had a couple of fields was thinking of doing, was actually thinking of mixing the gran lime and 18:6:12 in the spreader to save travelling the ground twice.. maybe that wouldn't be a good idea ??

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,087 ✭✭✭vanderbadger

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 224 ✭✭Conflats

Gran lime will sort out your short term problems but cheaper and better to use ground lime for longer lasting effects

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 164 ✭✭hedgecutting eddie

i was quoted 150t for it but went with the ground lime 18 euro dlivered plus spread ,if u go spreadin 2 bags a acre set ur spread at 1.25 bags a acre it runs very quick out of the spreader

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,326 ✭✭✭Farmer Pudsey

375 kgs of gran lime is equivlent to two tonne of ground lime I think however the most granlime you need to spread is two bags a year to bring up ph gradually it has certain advantages if you spread 2 tonnes of lime to the acre you will coat the grass cattle cannot graze it until 2-3 weeks after and on a dry year like this more. Gran lime is also high in magnesium which land is now becoming short of so you are getting a double whammy.

Granlime can be purchassed for about 140 a ton if you put it in with your fertlizer order and you will maybe get a discount of 3-8 euro/ton on the Fertlizer. You can use it as an annual cost the minimun ground lime that they will spread is 20 ton so 10 acres covered will cost about 450 euro for another 110 euro you will get 4 ton of gran lime which will cover 40 acres at 2 bags/ acre or 20 acres by 2 bags and 40 acres by one bag. If you are a smallish farmer gran lime will work out at near enough the same price as Ground lime. You also can spread it at any time no holdup in grazing rotation magnesium bonus and also a faster hit than ground lime.

I also find if I spread it every spring the cattle graze the paddocks very bare in May and June I have no dirty butts. It is tax efficient ie I have not got a big outlay one year and nothing the next, and as well if you get a wet summer after you spread ground lime the cattle can plough the land for you. It also has the advantage that you can use it on rented land.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 98 ✭✭Highland

Gran lime is 3 times more effective than ground lime meaning that you need to spread 1/3 the amount. So if you field requires 2 tonne of Ground limestone then you need to apply 13 x 50kg bags of gran lime over five years (i.e. 2.5 bags per year). The cost of ground lime = €50 upfront, cost of gran lime at €160/tonne = €106 or €21.20 per year.

Gran lime works faster than Gound lime. Ground lime may also have Magnesium if it is derived from dolomitic lime. But fertiliser Mg may be of little use if Potash levels are high

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,325 ✭✭✭razor8

would it be advisable to spread lime on silage ground before it is closed up?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,271 ✭✭✭✭johngalway

Use the BFF search function and read every result that comes up ;) There's an encyclopaedia of information on limes there, if you can manage ground lime, that's the one to buy.

razor8 wrote: »
    would it be advisable to spread lime on silage ground before it is closed up?

Be carefull spreading ground lime on silage ground prior to closing - if you end up with lime in the silage it will act as a buffer and prevent preservation resulting in a pit/bales of FYM instead of silage.

how soon can you graze sheep after spreading gran lime. also i spread urea about 4 weeks ago, will this have any affect?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,142 ✭✭✭rancher

how soon can you graze sheep after spreading gran lime. also i spread urea about 4 weeks ago, will this have any affect?

I spread granlime with the sheep in the field three weeks ago, didn't do any harm

Neither will have any effect. You can graze immediately. Urea can give nitrate posioning if its injested but this is only likely to happen if you spread and the dust sticks to grass and in subsequently injested. Once Urea is absorbed into soil its safe.

5live wrote: »
    You might be better of with the ground lime. The granulated stuff is only good for one year iirc and works out at twice the cost over 5 years. There was a bit of an article in the Journal on it last week if you can lay your hands on one.

On your question, you would be looking at 2 bags per acre of gran lime i think
    2 bags of what weight of bag.

i bought 2 600kg bags today and im not sure what rate per acre i should spread it. the merchant reckoned 300kg per acre so for my €165 i would only cover 4 acres.

any advice please?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,410 ✭✭✭bbam

i bought 2 600kg bags today and im not sure what rate per acre i should spread it. the merchant reckoned 300kg per acre so for my €165 i would only cover 4 acres.

any advice please?

100-150kg per acre I was told.. I think that was on one of the supplier websites too..
    So you bought 1200kg for €165, I just paid €190 for 1000kg.. :(, damn!
    Where did you purchase ??

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,142 ✭✭✭rancher

any advice please?

100kg per acre per year to increase ph. or 50 kg per acre per year to maintain ph, brings up levels very quick but needs an annual dressing of 50 kg/ac to keep it right.
    I paid 170 euros/tonne for 9 tonne plus 120 for delivery and spreading

bbam wrote: »
    100-150kg per acre I was told.. I think that was on one of the supplier websites too..
    So you bought 1200kg for €165, I just paid €190 for 1000kg.. :(, damn!
    Where did you purchase ??

Thanks, that seems more like it

i bought from McCorry Agri in Derrylin, collected myself

Advertisement