Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

New York Burger Company bites the dust

Options
  • 23-03-2012 11:27am
    Registered Users Posts: 1,641 ✭✭✭

Got a Facebook update from them today to say they were gone but that a new food outlet would open there soon.

Will that one survive?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,978 ✭✭✭✭mike65

Maybe if it was called the Waterford Well-Boy Burger Company....

• Closed Accounts Posts: 517 ✭✭✭batm!ke

Damn, a friend of mine told me weeks ago that they were closing up and I had never been, wanted to try it. She said the food was unreal. Think they own the Park Lodge Cafe too so hopefully they'll be alright. Pity to see another biz closing. Hopefully the new crowd going in will have better luck.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,343 ✭✭✭beazee

Heard the owner went to Norway or some other impossible country...

Fancied the one (Carb killer or something in line) with bap replaced by two sautéed large cup mushrooms. Nyom, nyom, nyom!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,196 ✭✭✭CardBordWindow

batm!ke wrote: »
    Damn, a friend of mine told me weeks ago that they were closing up and I had never been, wanted to try it. She said the food was unreal. Think they own the Park Lodge Cafe too so hopefully they'll be alright. Pity to see another biz closing. Hopefully the new crowd going in will have better luck.
    Ah crap it! I was in the same boat : Heard great things, meant to go, but now can't.

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 24,056 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sully

Where was this?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,455 ✭✭✭anplaya

across de road from the main entrance to the park

• Registered Users Posts: 1,343 ✭✭✭beazee

• Registered Users Posts: 179 ✭✭thomas01

The unit was up on daft for rent a few weeks ago but it appears to be gone now.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,272 ✭✭✭merlante

They've been trying to sell it on for a while. Real pity. Best burgers I've ever had.

Didn't think business was too bad for most of its existence, but opening hours have been very unreliable for the past few months, so I'd say that killed the business completely. I wouldn't assume that the business was unviable. I get the feeling that your man was losing interest in it.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,624 ✭✭✭wmpdd3

Yeah i went down a few months ago on a thursday to find it closed, no sign or anything.. Best veggi burgers in the town.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,081 ✭✭✭ziedth

I only went the once too, I really liked it. Real pity.

• Registered Users Posts: 767 ✭✭✭Odats

Did the person who had the New York Pie in John St still own it before it closed?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,081 ✭✭✭fricatus

What a pity. Ate down there a few times, including one lovely sunny morning for a very tasty breakfast. Nice chap running it (owner I think) and a lovely cheerful waitress from eastern Europe. Hope they'll pop up somewhere else!

• Registered Users Posts: 119 ✭✭GrandBlaa

Best burgers in there, such a huge pity to see it go!

But I too noticed the random opening hours and I know parking can be tough in the evenings if you've to compete with 3 Ships and Vets, etc along with being so close to Dooleys takeaway and the Chinese too.

I think a better location would have really suited NY Burger. Was planning on treating the nephew there this weekend, shame :(

• Registered Users Posts: 166 ✭✭molby

Odats wrote: »
    Did the person who had the New York Pie in John St still own it before it closed?
    Yes that's him. The pies were lovely after a feed of bottles. Even better if you were too drunk to eat them you could have them for the hangover the next day.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,272 ✭✭✭merlante

GrandBlaa wrote: »
    Best burgers in there, such a huge pity to see it go!

But I too noticed the random opening hours and I know parking can be tough in the evenings if you've to compete with 3 Ships and Vets, etc along with being so close to Dooleys takeaway and the Chinese too.

I think a better location would have really suited NY Burger. Was planning on treating the nephew there this weekend, shame :(

Well the Three Ships didn't do food for most of the time it was open, and the Chinese is not really competing with it directly (sit down v take out).

I'd like to know how well it was doing before the opening hours were all over the place. As soon as I couldn't rely on it, I sort of gave up on the place -- and I only live around the corner. Only so many times you find a closed door before you move on.

I know it's natural for people to assume that the location was bad or there was no business there or there's a recession or whatever, but really, unless anyone knows the guy personally, it could be any reason at all. I think he probably had to do a bit of advertising or redecoration or something, because it probably got a bit stale, and maybe he didn't really want to kill himself to keep the place open. He had the look of a guy who didn't need the business to succeed and was just doing it as a hobby, but I could be wrong.

• Registered Users Posts: 725 ✭✭✭Funfair

ziedth wrote: »
    I only went the once too, I really liked it. Real pity.

No wonder they closed when customers "really like it" but still don't go back..

• Registered Users Posts: 119 ✭✭GrandBlaa

merlante wrote: »
    Well the Three Ships didn't do food for most of the time it was open, and the Chinese is not really competing with it directly (sit down v take out).

I was talking about parking in the evenings close to the restaurant, not direct competition :)

I remember dining in there once and the owner gave us a great talk on the local Waterford icecream he was serving. Pity I never got the name of the brand :( It was something else!

• Registered Users Posts: 261 ✭✭next

pity I liked it but the last 3 take aways were dreadful kinda thought it was on the cards

• Registered Users Posts: 431 ✭✭1967

Things were not going too well of late and the owner is trying his hand with a restaurant cafe in Norway Friedrickstadt to be exact he has family there,so while he is trying to get this up and running his wife will be looking after the cafe in the park and also the one in the Waterford Crystal visitors centre and having a third place to run would be too much so one has closed unfortunately.Interesting to see whats going in there to replace it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 261 ✭✭next

I don't use the park cafe, use to about 3 times a week with the kids just a coffee, few drinks for the kids and some over priced rice crispy cakes but when she charged me 36cent for a paper cup for the toddler I said na your just greedy now I bring juices for the kids

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,362 ✭✭✭Trotter

GrandBlaa wrote: »
    I was talking about parking in the evenings close to the restaurant, not direct competition :)

I remember dining in there once and the owner gave us a great talk on the local Waterford icecream he was serving. Pity I never got the name of the brand :( It was something else!

Cramers Grove! Happy Christmas :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 517 ✭✭✭batm!ke

Trotter wrote: »
    Cramers Grove! Happy Christmas :)

AFAIK they sell that stuff in Ardkeen Stores. Otherwise it's a trip to Kilkenny for it. Tis nice alright.

Advertisement