Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Construction work in London advice needed

• 23-03-2012 11:28am
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,400 ✭✭✭

As title says advice would be great. My husband is blue in the face looking for work (he's a bricklayer). He worked solid for 14 years and the company dissolved so he has been unemployed for 2 whole years. He is extremely frustrated and at times pretty down about it as he wants to work so badly. The question is where to start on getting sorted in London, which is where there is alot of construction work at the moment available. He wouldn't go to Canada or Australia as we have 2 young children and another on the way and ds is settled in school. London is not far away. Sick of living hand to mouth at this stage and robbing Peter to pay Paul its very depressing.

Does anybody know of websites that are useful for construction opportunities there?, I have googled it and he has too but its hard enough to find anything concrete (excuse the pun!) And if you know anybody who has taken this step, how they sorted out accommodation etc I would be grateful for any advice or knowledge thank you

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,411 ✭✭✭ABajaninCork

I'm from London. Don't know much about the construction industry there I'm afraid, but I would have thought that Bricklaying work would be at a premium now that the Olympics are nearly on us. But can certainly try to help with recruitment agencies and so on.

Where your OH gets work will drive where he lives. Are you intending to move over with him or staying here? If it's only him, then a house share might be good. Rent will be cheaper that way.

I've added some links from a simple Google search. How reliable they are, I don't know, so you MUST do your own research as to how good they are.

http://www.ukconstructionrecruitment.co.uk/
    http://www.kellyservices.co.uk/

HTH and good luck!

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 21,667 Mod ✭✭✭✭helimachoptor

The Olympics are only a few months away so I'd say if they still need bricklayers then the Olympics will be in half built stadiums!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,379 ✭✭✭Tefral

I work in the construction industry in London. Plenty of work going on especially around the airports in particular Heathrow. Tell him to contact companies like Morgan Sindall, Mace, Babcocks, Corillian, Laing O'Rourke etc.

Might be worth him starting a LinkedIn profile too, I get contacted a bit through that. Add the hr people of the construction companies and also recruiters. They place is full of them.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 102 ✭✭CharlieR

Most of the Olympic buildings were finished over a year ago and have spent the last 12 months in commisioning and testing to ensure they work correctly.

Housing in the South East has taken off and there are plenty of jobs for trades staff.

The problem you will face is that the majority of the work will be on pricework and the rates are not that good at the moment. There are plenty of brickwork contractors that are busy at the moment and I know of a few good brickies that are making a good living in London at the moment.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 667 ✭✭✭S.R.

f g

• Advertisement
Advertisement