Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Removable battery Yay or Nay?

Options
  • 23-03-2012 11:33am
    Registered Users Posts: 28,218 ✭✭✭✭

A lot of new phones seem to be coming as sealed units like the iphone. When they crash your kinda screwed, you make have to wait until it naturally dies which could take a day or 2.
    I like the idea that I can just whip out the battery and reboot the phone if it goes haywire.

Is it something that would influence your choice in a phone, it's turned me off the Sony S (well that and the size) and i've seen it happen a few times where a iphone 4S just hangs and you've no choice but to wait for it to die.

So what do you think are you for or against a sealed unit phone?

I'm against, had to remove the battery last night when the phone hung. Couldn't power it down so the only thing to do was take out the battery and hey presto it started.

Do you want to be able to swap or remove your phone battery? 37 votes

Yes Please
    0%
    No if Apple or Sony thought it was necessary they would have added that feature.
    97%
    Atomic Pineapple_Kaiser_joolsveergod's toyDiddy KonganimaalRandomkirvingSam VimesThirdfoxdulpitPogMoThoincoylemjKristopherusED EAntiVirusWalkmanTwikiralphieComrade Zed 36 votes
    Atari Jaguar
    2%
    TBi 1 vote

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,874 ✭✭✭✭PogMoThoin

No if Apple or Sony thought it was necessary they would have added that feature.
    I hate that shít, a nasty practice. One of the reasons I boycott apple products (besides them not being value for money)

I only read this yesterday.
    http://motherboard.vice.com/2012/3/19/ifixit-s-kyle-wiens-on-how-to-dismantle-the-war-on-diy-electronics

• Registered Users Posts: 28,218 ✭✭✭✭drunkmonkey

2/10 repairability score, not good for the ipad 3, in other words it'll be a complete pain and expensive to fix once the 12mt warranty is up.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,681 ✭✭✭Vahevala

I wouldn't touch a phone, that I can't take the battery out of. It is a way of easily fixing any issues.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,235 ✭✭✭Odaise Gaelach

I'd prefer a phone with a removable battery simply because I can swap it with a spare one if it runs out of charge. I carry a spare phone battery in my wallet and it's been very handy on several occasions. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 6,277 ✭✭✭evolutionqy7

I'd prefer a phone with a removable battery simply because I can swap it with a spare one if it runs out of charge. I carry a spare phone battery in my wallet and it's been very handy on several occasions. :)

Quote=Vahevala;77739098]I wouldn't touch a phone, that I can't take the battery out of. It is a way of easily fixing any issues.[/Quote]

Two of those reasons. Galaxy Tab 7 screen stopped working for some reason. Had to wait 4 days for the battery to run out so I could restart it...

Though if they incorporated enough mah under the covered and made it sealed id just ship straight away to the sealed the department ( is. Droid Razor Maxx)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 25,459 ✭✭✭✭coylemj

Buying a phone with a sealed battery is like buying car that can only run on one brand of fuel - you lose the ability to shop around and are totally at the mercy of the manufacturer who will follow the rules of commerce and screw you with higher prices becase you will represent a captive market.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19,080 ✭✭✭✭Random

removable battery is a must for me - for being able to carry a spare and for powering off when the phone freezes and becomes unreponsive

• Registered Users Posts: 11,089 ✭✭✭✭dulpit

I am constantly whipping battery out of phone, usually when adding new ROM to it..

When I'm not trying my best not to brick my phone I do also have a spare battery for those times when I'm away from a charger for ages, as the owner of an android phone this is a must...

• Registered Users Posts: 85 ✭✭Daverk

Must be an oversight on,for example Htc with their One series?

• Registered Users Posts: 28,218 ✭✭✭✭drunkmonkey

Daverk wrote: »
    Must be an oversight on,for example Htc with their One series?

Does the One not have a removable battery?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 85 ✭✭Daverk

As far as I know the HTC One X, the battery is unremovable. May be wrong, though!!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,091 ✭✭✭Antar Bolaeisk

On a phone it's not really a deal breaker (though I was disappointed when I discovered the Lumia 800 battery was non-removable). The reality is I'm unlikely to be using the phone long enough for the battery degradation to become a real issue.

On something like a tablet or even a laptop, no, it needs to be replaceable.

Advertisement