Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

G.V Wright - Link to Mod Warning in 1st post

Options
  • 23-03-2012 11:42am
    Registered Users Posts: 2,300 ✭✭✭

Before you post - read the MOD Warning here.

Of relevance to this Forum, I Hope, is the finding in ''Mahon'' that former, Councellor, and TD for Dublin North, G.V Wright, accepted ''corrupt payments''
    I will refrain from posting a link, to ''Mahon'' as its a huge file.

Michael Martin, is to propose to Fianna Fail, that Mr Wright be expelled from the party, along with others.

http://www.oireachtas.ie/members-hist/default.asp?housetype=0&HouseNum=29&MemberID=1114&ConstID=84

A link to Mr Wrights various offices held.

How has his record in office as a Councellor, and TD effected the lives or residents in North Co. Dublin??. Your thoughts please.

G.V retired in 2007, or at least did not contest the election, having been convicted, and fined for drink driving in 2003.
    http://www.rte.ie/news/2003/1107/wrightgv.html

He disclosed to a Fianna Fail inquiry that he had recieved 1000.00 but later admitted to ''Mahon'' that he in face accepted 3800.00 in Personal donations, now deemed Corrupt by Mahon.
    http://89.207.56.142/news/2006/0601/mahon.html

So lots of coverage on the activities of a TD from neighbouring Dublin North Central, but what do residents of Dublin North think of ''one of our own''

Please keep your comments relevant to this Forum, there are plenty of Forums to post on Corruption in Politics, can we keep this thread relevant to DNC.........please.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,407 ✭✭✭Cardinal Richelieu

I think this thread should include the other DCN politicians mentioned in the report including the ones like Cathal Boland who cleared his good name.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Politics Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 12,110 CMod ✭✭✭✭Dizzyblonde

I don't think anyone will be surprised about GV Wright. That drink driving charge finished his political career, the way he handled it was deplorable.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,254 ✭✭✭LeoB

martinn123 wrote: »
    Of relevance to this Forum, I Hope, is the finding in ''Mahon'' that former, Councellor, and TD for Dublin North, G.V Wright, accepted ''corrupt payments''
    I will refrain from posting a link, to ''Mahon'' as its a huge file.

Michael Martin, is to propose to Fianna Fail, that Mr Wright be expelled from the party, along with others.

http://www.oireachtas.ie/members-hist/default.asp?housetype=0&HouseNum=29&MemberID=1114&ConstID=84

A link to Mr Wrights various offices held.

How has his record in office as a Councellor, and TD effected the lives or residents in North Co. Dublin??. Your thoughts please.

G.V retired in 2007, or at least did not contest the election, having been convicted, and fined for drink driving in 2003.
    http://www.rte.ie/news/2003/1107/wrightgv.html

He disclosed to a Fianna Fail inquiry that he had recieved 1000.00 but later admitted to ''Mahon'' that he in face accepted 3800.00 in Personal donations, now deemed Corrupt by Mahon.
    http://89.207.56.142/news/2006/0601/mahon.html

So lots of coverage on the activities of a TD from neighbouring Dublin North Central, but what do residents of Dublin North think of ''one of our own''

Please keep your comments relevant to this Forum, there are plenty of Forums to post on Corruption in Politics, can we keep this thread relevant to DNC.........please.

I dont have a huge problem with him. I think was common practice not just in Dublin which Mahon dealth with but all over Ireland. The man admitted he recieved money to Mahon, €3,800 or £3,800. I know its not right. But, what did he do for it? If anything. Was it a donation towards election costs? Did he do a favour? Was it hello money? I didnt read the Mahon report so dont know in what context Mahon said it was corrupt, did he vote on a rezoning issue for this money? If some squeaky clean politican got 100 donations of €100 whats the difference? Mahon is sort of judge and jury on people charachters and if someone like Eoin O'Callaghan takes a high court action and wins was the 15 years of tribunals worth it? G.V was quite a popular man. He was well liked by most people. But I found he was never quite on the inside of F.F. A small fish in the overall scheme of things
    I think this thread should include the other DCN politicians mentioned in the report including the ones like Cathal Boland who cleared his good name.
    Agree. If I remember Sean Ryan came out and said he had checques in a drawer at home years old which he never cashed. Mahon and other enquiries have made people like me quite cynical unfairly towards some very decent men.

Is Mr. Boland now some sort of planning consultant or advisor? He would have the inside track and some might say it could give him an advantage
    I don't think anyone will be surprised about GV Wright. That drink driving charge finished his political career, the way he handled it was deplorable.

Would we be suprised about any politican pulling any stunt. But I agree with you on drink driving point.

The whole Mahon thing is a right kick in the rocks for people. What impression does it leave on the people especially the young ones we need involved in getting Ireland back on its feet.

Anne Devitt has decided to temporarily step down from FG so she can clear her good name. So she will be still deciding on Planning issues in Fingal but as an Independent.

http://www.rte.ie/news/2012/0326/mahon.html

Joan Bruton and Sean Ryan raised issues with her as far back as 2000.

http://www.fingal-independent.ie/news/labour-attack-personal-devitt-795817.html

• Registered Users Posts: 8,779 ✭✭✭Carawaystick

Was that when a nurse was knocked down?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 851 ✭✭✭GlennaMaddy

LeoB wrote: »
    I think was common practice not just in Dublin which Mahon dealth with but all over Ireland
    We seem to have more than our fair share of dodgy FF politicians in DCN though, between Ray Burke, Charlie Haughey and GV Wright, I can't look at any of the other FF representatives without wondering, are they???

• Registered Users Posts: 22,775 ✭✭✭✭The Hill Billy

Was that when a nurse was knocked down?

That would probably be it. More here.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,300 ✭✭✭martinn123

LeoB wrote: »
    I dont have a huge problem with him. I think was common practice not just in Dublin which Mahon dealth with but all over Ireland. The man admitted he recieved money to Mahon, €3,800 or £3,800. I know its not right. But, what did he do for it? If anything. Was it a donation towards election costs? Did he do a favour? Was it hello money? I didnt read the Mahon report so dont know in what context Mahon said it was corrupt, did he vote on a rezoning issue for this money? If some squeaky clean politican got 100 donations of €100 whats the difference? Mahon is sort of judge and jury on people charachters and if someone like Eoin O'Callaghan takes a high court action and wins was the 15 years of tribunals worth it? G.V was quite a popular man. He was well liked by most people. But I found he was never quite on the inside of F.F. A small fish in the overall scheme of things

The whole Mahon thing is a right kick in the rocks for people. What impression does it leave on the people especially the young ones we need involved in getting Ireland back on its feet.

I can't agree with LeoB here,
    Mahon, states G.V recieved almost 25K in corrupt payments, including a couple of grand handed over in the Dail Bar, wrapped in newspaper.
    For what, 5 seperate rezoning decisions made by Dublin Co. Council. Mahon states'' payments were made following a request for payment from Wright''
    I do accept it was common practise, all over the Country, but so was '' Non Resident Bank Accounts'' lot of back Tax collected there.

These people asked us for a vote, and got elected, for what, to trouser cash, looks like it.
    I agree this area has had its fair share of corrupt Politicians, probably learned their politics from ''The Boss'' CJH.

Will anyone go to jail......Will they ***k

We seem to have more than our fair share of dodgy FF politicians in DCN though, between Ray Burke, Charlie Haughey and GV Wright, I can't look at any of the other FF representatives without wondering, are they???

Acceptable culture at the time, hopefully that has changed. I should point out that CJ only lived in DCN, never elected here.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 762 ✭✭✭SeaSide

Would have to echo my complete disagreement with Leo as well. There can be no ambiguity that taking bribes is wrong no matter how small the bribe. Fine Gael councilor on RnaG has stated that she thinks over half of her colleagues were on the take and that she was denied promotions and other trips because she was not on the take.

• Advertisement

SeaSide wrote: »
    Would have to echo my complete disagreement with Leo as well. There can be no ambiguity that taking bribes is wrong no matter how small the bribe. Fine Gael councilor on RnaG has stated that she thinks over half of her colleagues were on the take and that she was denied promotions and other trips because she was not on the take.

Yes I agree too, its not national get at LeoB day but he did admit in his post that he didn't read the Mahon Report before posting. Its pretty easy to read the specific areas dealing with GV extra duties. Even FF must have seen something wrong with what GV got up to in office that he is up for expulsion this Friday unless he resigns from the party before then which is what the Fingal Indo is predicting.

http://www.fingal-independent.ie/news/former-politican-wright-likely-to-quit-party-after-tribunal-finds-he-received-corrupt-payments-3062218.html

RTE have confirmed that GV Wright just resigned from FF.

One of my points and I admit to it, is the cynacism we now have towards politicans. Its a big problem and I dont believe it was confined to F.F.
    SeaSide wrote: »

I agree its not right to take bribes. My point again which I was a little unclear about but you confirm for me is it was rampant and wrong but not just in North Dublin and not just F.F. so who is really going to nail this down for once and for all?
    I can't agree with LeoB here,
    Mahon, states G.V recieved almost 25K in corrupt payments, including a couple of grand handed over in the Dail Bar, wrapped in newspaper.
    For what, 5 seperate rezoning decisions made by Dublin Co. Council. Mahon states'' payments were made following a request for payment from Wright''
    I do accept it was common practise, all over the Country, but so was '' Non Resident Bank Accounts'' lot of back Tax collected there.
    Good to disagree but "corrupt" payments in general is a loose term in my opinion. I remember hearing something about this before. We agree it was common practice so how do we move forward? The non-resident bank A/Cs were not confined to Politicans and have any of them gone to jail?
    These people asked us for a vote, and got elected, for what, to trouser cash, looks like it.
    I agree this area has had its fair share of corrupt Politicians, probably learned their politics from ''The Boss'' CJH.
    Will anyone go to jail......Will they ***k

We got what we voted for. Mind you we didnt know then what we know now but quite a few did and were happy to go canvass for them.
    I think someone might go to jail but he may not be from N.C.D. rather the flamboyant Mayo man. What he done was to put it mildly corrupt.
    Yes I agree too, its not national get at LeoB day but he did admit in his post that he didn't read the Mahon Report before posting. Its pretty easy to read the specific areas dealing with GV extra duties. Even FF must have seen something wrong with what GV got up to in office that he is up for expulsion this Friday unless he resigns from the party before then which is what the Fingal Indo is predicting.

http://www.fingal-independent.ie/news/former-politican-wright-likely-to-quit-party-after-tribunal-finds-he-received-corrupt-payments-3062218.html

RTE have confirmed that GV Wright just resigned from FF.

Didnt read Mahon and wont but will see snippets over the next few days if I can but like a lot of others it was obvious what was going on from the early 1970s. Go back to heaves against Lynch when it was then suspected C.J was getting money. But no one had the balls to take them on and journalist who did I believe were silenced.

Now let me be clear before I finish.
    I am totally against corrupt payments to To Politicans or council officials. But what happens if someone challenges Mahon in high court or supreme court and wins? Where are we then? Another 15 years and maybe €500,000,000.

Finally I think we have had some good people in N.C.D. Currently Alan Farrell despite a few hiccups, Darragh O'Brien, Sean and Brendan Ryan have all been good reps for the area and this is where we need to look at now.

• Registered Users Posts: 930 ✭✭✭robertpatterson

Darragh o brien? Really?
    He was one of GV's men so hes the same as the rest of them
    I wouldnt trust any of them theyve ruined this country for years to come

Darragh o brien? Really?
    Sweeping generalisations like the above are not acceptable, particularly in a thread discussing serious matters such as "corrupt payments". Please refrain from doing so again.

If there are any further posts in a similar vein - the post will be deleted & the poster banned. I am leaving this post in place to serve as an example of what is NOT acceptable.

tHB

Darragh o brien? Really?

Yes really. I have met him on a number of occasion and found him a very honest person, no bull**** stories or promises and from what I could see he was well liked accross all parties. While I was not happy with his reply to me I found at least he was up front. Is that not what we want?

Its no problem to put him in the same camp as G.V but to put him in "Bed" for want of a better word I would say is a bit off the mark. I think Darragh is his own man.Well I hope so.

Not only Darragh but people like Alan Farrell are I believe despite my cynacism a new bred of politican that we badly need and to go further afield people ike Shane Enright and Darragh Collery are also pretty good. Your woman from Castlebar on the radio the other morning Ms Chambers a vice president of F.F.is 25 and in primary school when a lot of the corruption was going on but because she is from the same parish as Mr. P Flynn should be consign people like her to the scrapheap? I dont think so. We have to look forward and trust someone.

Keep it on-topic please.

tHB

The Journal has a short review of the Dublin Councillors and findings mentioned in the Mahon Report including GV and Sean Gilbride for those that can't read the report.

http://www.thejournal.ie/which-councillors-were-labelled-corrupt-over-quarryvale-393002-Mar2012/

• Registered Users Posts: 930 ✭✭✭robertpatterson

• Registered Users Posts: 2,300 ✭✭✭martinn123

The Journal has a short review of the Dublin Councillors and findings mentioned in the Mahon Report including GV and Sean Gilbride for those that can't read the report.

http://www.thejournal.ie/which-councillors-were-labelled-corrupt-over-quarryvale-393002-Mar2012/

Good summary, that, interesting the common phrases used. ''Cash'' '' Political Donations'' ''inapropriate'', and ''corrupt'', and the replayed images on TV of these jokers coming out of the Tribunal sittings with big grins on their faces, assuming Mahon would accept their evidence and they would move on.
    maybe now that the report has been referred to DPP, Garda Commr. and Revenue we will find out what they did with the ''Political Donations''.

Our friend in Mayo, bought a Farm for his wife, nice chap, will he have to repay the grants , hope so.

So that was how politics worked in our fair constituency in the past, indeed throughout the whole country, let's hope the current breed of politicians take note.

Advertisement