Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Buying an intermediate guitar

Options
  • 23-03-2012 11:51am
    Registered Users Posts: 1,830 ✭✭✭

Hi all,

I've been playing for about 2 years with a starter fender acoustic. Typical songs I play are from bands such Counting Crows, Oasis, CCR, Radiohead etc. I'm now looking at getting a 2nd guitar which will hopefully see me through the next 10 years or so. Budget is 1K max.

http://www.xmusic.ie/Martin-MGJ1216GT-p-17886.html

Is this the guitar to buy?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 124 ✭✭Trevor Kent

Check out the Craftine range if your going to X-Music. You get a Pickup and all wood construction (think the Martin is HPL (high pressure laminate) back and sides) for a few hundred bob less. (I have one so recommend).
    Down side is lack of resale value against a Martin or other well known brands.

Tanglewood do good guitars at that price range, again expect a pickup system and all wood construction at that price.

The likes of the bigger name brands like Taylor, Martin, Gibson etc.. , expect something much like what you have in your link. Solid top with laminate back and sides, basically the lower end of their range.

There are so many choices these days of guitars in that range (Seagul, Takamine, Ibanez, Epiphone plus the ones mentioned above), I suggest you take the time to go to a few shops, play a few guitars and buy the one that feels and sounds the best to you in your price range. Your spending quite a bit of money, so a bit of advice is to play before you buy. Its grand buying a €200 guitar on the net, but spending a grand id really recommend you go to a shop and play. Nothing worse than having a lovely expensive guitar, and you not liking the sound or feel of it.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,830 ✭✭✭CountingCrows

Anyone know any music shops who sells Seagull Guitars? After much research the S6 seems to be the best guitar in my price range (< €700).

• Registered Users Posts: 2,043 ✭✭✭martinedwards

anything from the Godin family (including seagull) comes with a good rep.

the S6 is one of the most consistently recommended guitars I've ever heard of.

I've only played one, and it was one of a stable of guitars including Larivee, Gibson, Takimene, McPherson McIlroy, and Lowden #0001. to make it into this guys collection it would need to be pretty special, right?

it was.

Advertisement