Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

IM South Africa 2013

• 23-03-2012 12:40pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,563 ✭✭✭

Right, here we go.

I've decided to go for this goal, with the intent of swinging a visit to my family in Cape Town at the same time i.e. within the same week (not during the race :P ).

I must put in a caveat that I will review my progress in Dec 2012, with the purpose of seeing whether this goal is achievable or not.

For the record:

2010 - 4 sprint tri's, National Lottery Race Series.

2011 - 4 sprint tri's, 2 olympic tri's and 1 IM 70.3.

2012 (plan) - 4 sprint tri's, 3 olympic tri's, 1/3 of an IM 70.3, 1 DCM.

In case there are those who question the motivation, my motivation for taking part in any event is simply to finish it. I may have an ideal goal time in my head, but I get enough satisfaction in completing an event.

I'll post my progress as I go and would appreciate any hints/tips y'all can offer.

Dave

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 456 ✭✭Donelson

Hi, best of luck crazy im'er, at least you'll have some company,

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,563 ✭✭✭connundrum

To begin with, here are my current stats:

Male
    28 y/o
    Height: 6'2
    Weight: 94kgs

Work took over at the weekend so last night was my first opportunity to log anything, and even at that I'd only 1.5 hours to spare.

This is the first bit of training I've done in 20 (odd) days due to holidays, injury etc.

Venue: Gym

Crosstrainer: 10 mins, 2.5km warm up

Bike: 34 mins, 15km

Treadmill: 10 mins, 1.6km - had to stop as there was pain in my shins and those unforgetful lumps coming out the side of either (sigh). Thankfully no pain in the achilles.

Swim: Completed 500m, but couldn't do any more as I had literally zero power in my arms.

Overall, disappointed in the results. Was hoping to get 30km bike and 5km run done, but my legs conspired against me. Had ice on them last night, and hopefully it'll work itself out.

Must eat more prior to tonight's session and hope that it helps with energy levels.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,437 ✭✭✭Izoard

Hey connundrum - all the best with this.

IM SA 12 was on my hit list, but ended up doing Abu Dhabi instead.

Your biggest consideration is that, with an April IM, you will be having to do your peak training in pretty poor conditions here.

It is a very different proposition doing long bike and runs in the early summer in prep for a July IM, than doing them in Feb/March.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,563 ✭✭✭connundrum

Izoard wrote: »
    Hey connundrum - all the best with this.

IM SA 12 was on my hit list, but ended up doing Abu Dhabi instead.

Your biggest consideration is that, with an April IM, you will be having to do your peak training in pretty poor conditions here.

It is a very different proposition doing long bike and runs in the early summer in prep for a July IM, than doing them in Feb/March.

Winter 2011/12 was a write off as I'd completely banjaxed my achilles pre and post 70.3 Galway, but in winter 2010/11 I trained really well and was quite happy with it.

I've invested in the turbo trainer last Dec and prefer running in the cold, so hopefully if I can stay injury free I'll be relatively set up. Stress on hopefully :o

Advertisement