Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

dogs and tea tree oil.

• 23-03-2012 12:51pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,138 ✭✭✭

This may be common knowledge but might be of use to some.

My dog suffers from bad skin and yesterday evening my boyfriend was giving her a shower and decided to put some tea tree oil on a cut she had on her leg. It was 100%. This morning I went to get her up for her walk and she couldn't stand. Brought her to the vets and they were pretty adament that it wasn't the cause and that she had nerve damage to her legs. I knew that it must of been the oil that was making her sick as she had the same symptoms so brought up some info printed from the net and they are treating her now with a drip and are flushing out her system. She is a pretty large dog so hopefully she will be fine, not sure what we do without her. My boyfriend feels so guilty but st least she is bring treated correctly. The vet said she dismissed the tea tree oil as the cause originally ad it's rare, we will know for sure if it wad in s week or so when they get the test results for now at least she is in the best place.

TL:DR
    Tea tree oil can be very dangerous and just like humans know their body best, you know your dog better than the vets so if you think that the diagnosis they give is misguided don't be afraid to make yourself heard.

Sorry for all the typos, using a phone

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 369 ✭✭gud4u

Maybe he has an allergy to it, either way, humans are not supposed to use essential oils neat either, they should always be diluted with a carrier oil like almond oil or a few drops into a cream like aqueous.

There are tea tree products for dogs, I use a cream on my dogs elbows, good to know not to use it neat or on broken skin though, in case anyone else has the same idea.

You shouldn't use tea tree oil 100% on human or animal skin, especially if broken/cut.

It is fine to use if mixed with a carrier oil, almond/olive or similar, or a few drops in a cream such as aqueous.

Good to highlight it, I hope your dog makes a speedy recovery, maybe he was unfortunate to have an allergy, I use tea tree cream on my dogs dry elbows. It's a dog specific one though, whether that matters, i don't know.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,138 ✭✭✭orchidsrpretty

Yeah we feel like idiots now and just hope we don't pay for it with her life being in danger. The reason he didn't think anything of using the oil is that we have used the tea tree for dogs before. He just didn't know not to use it neat. This bottle was for humans.

We've all done something like that at some stage, the day I got the gsd home he ate a sock and i felt like some wally ringing the vet. I also rang the breeder and he said to dose him with washing up liquid:eek:, but seeing as I didn't want teh pups first experience of me to be like a SAW film, I opted for the vets idea of close observation and poo analysis....:o, we met the sock again and the dog was fine:D

Fingers and paws crossed for you and your dog, how's he now.

Advertisement