Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

preparing exterior surfaces with a bleach solution

• 23-03-2012 12:58pm
    Registered Users Posts: 475 ✭✭

There are large areas where the growth is not too bad but I can see when look closely ( =put my glasses on!) that the alga etc is getting established.

No problem -I have applied a 1 to 3 bleach to water solution with a fairly vigorous rubbing in that I think will kill off this problem.

But my question is whether I now need (after giving the bleach a day or so to work) to wash the surface clean with water before I actually put on the paint (I mean there is a little dried scum left but not too much really and I have never bothered with this final wash before )

If the alga is completely killed will the (small) residue just blend into the new paint and not affect its adhesion in the long term?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,236 ✭✭✭deandean

I use 50/50 thin bleach and water, and apply using a garden sprayer. It degrades naturally over the course of a few days. For sure I would remove the dead algae before painting. Once it's dead and dried out I would have thought it comes off handy enough?

• Registered Users Posts: 475 ✭✭geordief

you mean to rub it away?

• Registered Users Posts: 207 ✭✭porte

Mix up a 60% water 40% bleach solution and brush onto your wall, after 24hr you can power wash off.
    Choose a mildew-resistant paint.

Advertisement