Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Where to Learn German

• 23-03-2012 2:07pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 26,152 ✭✭✭✭

Hi All,

After a recent trip to Germany I feel my German needs a good kick up the *** so I want to find a course where I can better my understanding orally and aurally.

LCFE is just a basic course and the course description on their own website is something very basic for those coming at it with nothing to go on.

Anything more intermediate our there in an evening course / group setting?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,871 ✭✭✭✭banie01

Beer Baron wrote: »
    Hi All,

After a recent trip to Germany I feel my German needs a good kick up the *** so I want to find a course where I can better my understanding orally and aurally.

LCFE is just a basic course and the course description on their own website is something very basic for those coming at it with nothing to go on.

Anything more intermediate our there in an evening course / group setting?

Have you tried Rosetta Stone?
    Its actually very very good, intuitive and builds you vocabulary fairly quickly.
    If its a class you are after I'm fairly sure I saw a thread here in the last 6months from someone looking for similar and I'm sure there is a conversation group amongst the U.L students.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 328 ✭✭TOMP

Goethe Institute, Dublin

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 26,152 ✭✭✭✭Berty

banie01 wrote: »
    Have you tried Rosetta Stone?

No I have not as the price seems quite high for a home building language kit.

banie01 wrote: »
    Its actually very very good, intuitive and builds you vocabulary fairly quickly.
    If its a class you are after I'm fairly sure I saw a thread here in the last 6months from someone looking for similar and I'm sure there is a conversation group amongst the U.L students.

Yes there was and I even remember reading them. I did a boards search and one person wanted a German conversation group because they felt their hard work, or learning the language, was going to waste.

The other person got suggestions of LFE on Mulgrave Street but the course description makes it sounds so very basic.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,672 ✭✭✭✭osarusan

There was a poster on here before, called Freiheit, who was interested in setting up a German conversation group in Limerick. Don't know what, if anything, came of it though.

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2055925289

Here is the thread, last post was a long time ago.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,819 ✭✭✭howamidifferent

You can do it on your own time with http://www.duolingo.com :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 405 ✭✭L.T.P.

Are you going to go to ze fatherland to try and renegotiate some of our debt :D

Rosetta Stone is good, not sure of anywhere in town that does classes..

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 26,152 ✭✭✭✭Berty

L.T.P. wrote: »
    Are you going to go to ze fatherland to try and renegotiate some of our debt :D

Well I was in Zee Fatherland (4th Reich) during the week and did actually meet Angela Merkel................well she drove passed me with her incredibly massive motorcade of Police and Secret Police.

Ironically I was looking through a broken piece of the Berlin Wall* when she drove passed. Strange that an Irish person was looking through from the Poor / Communist Side of the wall when she drove passed in her €150,000 BMW in the opulent plushness of West Berlin.

*Irony was explained for those either too young or stupid to know there was a wall separating Berlin for a long time.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,115 ✭✭✭Colemania

I'm actually studying German in UL at the moment but I'm not great at it, and i'm in 4th year! Ha. From hearing from other students, the best way to improve your language is to actually go work in said country, so in this case in Germany. My friend worked in a pub there for a few months and he became quite fluent at it and now he actually has a job that involves using German! All the German erasmus students come back to UL from September to December so they'd be great help if you needed help. There isn't much around UL at the moment anyway.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,757 ✭✭✭pappyodaniel

If you have kids maybe you could hire a German Au Pair? She can refine her English and you your German.

Just a thought.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,091 ✭✭✭Louche Lad

Watch German TV if you can get it via satellite/cable?

• Advertisement
Advertisement