Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

What are your views on your Daughter or Sister Marrying a Christian?

• 23-03-2012 2:09pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,418 ✭✭✭JimiTime

What would your views be on your daughter or sister deciding to marry a Christian? Would you take any action to prevent it? If so, what? I've heard things about family members being shunned for doing such things, and just wanted to get the views of the locals here. Also, is there an official Islamic doctrine on this?
    Thanks.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 483 ✭✭baltimore sun

If they love each other why give a toss about which imaginary fictional figure they believe in?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,418 ✭✭✭JimiTime

If they love each other why give a toss about which imaginary fictional figure they believe in?

Do you mind. This is a genuine question that I'm asking muslims, which is why I asked it in the islam forum and not in after hours or A & A.

Any takers?

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,320 ✭✭✭dead one

JimiTime wrote: »
    Any takers?
    Hey jimitime, First, it isn't an honor to marry a christian/jew. It's burden and a big responsibility- Secondly muslim women aren't allowed-- Islam forbids a Muslim woman from marrying a christian/ jews... Now comes to prevention--- There is no compulsion in Islam... A muslim woman can marry a christian if she wants to... but clearly her actions violate Islam... As she won't be able to grow up her kids in an islamic way.... The reason is simple, Her chirstian/jew husband won't allow her to teach her kids a thing which goes against their faith... I mean,suppose you're christian and marries to some muslim woman.. Will you allow, your muslim wife to teach your kids Jesus isn't God but a Prophet... I am sure you wouldn't.... The exception is only allowed to muslim men... I mean, a muslim man who wants to marry a christian female... He is going to put some extra burden on him...

dead one wrote: »
    Hey jimitime, First, it isn't an honor to marry a christian/jew. It's burden and a big responsibility- Secondly muslim women aren't allowed-- Islam forbids a Muslim woman from marrying a christian/ jews... Now comes to prevention--- There is no compulsion in Islam... A muslim woman can marry a christian if she wants to... but clearly her actions violate Islam... As she won't be able to grow up her kids in an islamic way.... The reason is simple, Her chirstian/jew husband won't allow her to teach her kids a thing which goes against their faith... I mean,suppose you're christian and marries to some muslim woman.. Will you allow, your muslim wife to teach your kids Jesus isn't God but a Prophet... I am sure you wouldn't.... The exception is only allowed to muslim men... I mean, a muslim man who wants to marry a christian female... He is going to put some extra burden on him...

Thanks dead one. I of course understand why a Muslim should not seek to marry outside of the faith, similarly a Christian. Its not an exclusively Islamic notion. If faith is important to a person, then it goes without saying that marrying outside of such faith can have issues, especially if children come along. Anyway, my main question is about the methods in preventing such things. I was wondering about if Islam actually prescribes something for a father to do if their daughter was to marry a Christian etc. You suggest that it doesn't, so thanks for answering.

I often hear of dramatic stories of daughters being locked away etc by the family, in places like Egypt, when things like this occur, and I was wondering if this is actually commisioned by Islam, or if it is just an individual thing.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,783 ✭✭✭Mark Hamill

Islam forbids a Muslim woman from marrying a christian/ jews... Now comes to prevention--- There is no compulsion in Islam...

:confused:
    A muslim woman can marry a christian if she wants to... but clearly her actions violate Islam... As she won't be able to grow up her kids in an islamic way.... The reason is simple, Her chirstian/jew husband won't allow her to teach her kids a thing which goes against their faith... I mean,suppose you're christian and marries to some muslim woman.. Will you allow, your muslim wife to teach your kids Jesus isn't God but a Prophet... I am sure you wouldn't.... The exception is only allowed to muslim men... I mean, a muslim man who wants to marry a christian female... He is going to put some extra burden on him...

So the Islamic view is that muslim women will be pressured by non-muslim men to not make the kids muslims and thats bad, but muslim men can pressure non muslim women to make the kids muslims, so its not as big a deal? Shouldn't marriage, I don't know, be about loving your partner?

I often hear of dramatic stories of daughters being locked away etc by the family, in places like Egypt, when things like this occur, and I was wondering if this is actually commisioned by Islam, or if it is just an individual thing.
    There are two thing which influence mind of a person in region... Cultural belief and religious belief... The stories which you are telling are cultural... I mean in lot of eastern cultures women marry as per will of father... A woman who marries a christian, actually she attacks on cultural/family reputation of a father... This lead a father to become personal with her... Islam never says to treat women like that... A father, who locks up her daughter, thinks that he is doing a great job as per his cultural beliefs....
    Islam prohibits a generation from disbelief.. It's simple, I hope you would get the point... why isn't it allowed for women to marry some non muslim... A women can marry if she wants to... but first she has to sacrifice her faith....
    There are two things-- faith and desire... If faith is important then you must sacrifice the desires, if desires are important then you must sacrifice faith...The choice is yours-- There is no compulsion...
    So the Islamic view is that muslim women will be pressured by non-muslim men to not make the kids muslims and thats bad, but muslim men can pressure non muslim women to make the kids muslims, so its not as big a deal? Shouldn't marriage, I don't know, be about loving your partner?
    marriage is a contract, There is no pressure in it... If you feel any pressure leave the contract... It's simple...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,264 ✭✭✭✭Hobbes

To the OP and to your original question (as the other has been answered). It will depend a lot on the family in question. Certainly if they are devout Muslims they will pressure you to become a Muslim in order for the marriage to work (in their eyes).

As to disowning/attacking/controlling the woman to prevent the marriage depends a lot on where they are from to begin with.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,373 ✭✭✭Skuxx

I agree 100%, this sort of carry on angers me! "Religion" has some fcuked up views of what's acceptable!

Islam prohibits a generation from disbelief.. It's simple, I hope you would get the point... why isn't it allowed for women to marry some non muslim... A women can marry if she wants to... but first she has to sacrifice her faith....
    There are two things-- faith and desire... If faith is important then you must sacrifice the desires, if desires are important then you must sacrifice faith...The choice is yours-- There is no compulsion...

So in islam, there is prohibition, there is forbidding, but there is no compulsion? Doesn't Islam teach that the outcome of ignoring what is forbidden or prohibited is time in Hell? How is that not compulsion?
    marriage is a contract, There is no pressure in it... If you feel any pressure leave the contract... It's simple...

So Islam should have no problem with a muslim woman entering a contract with a non-muslim man?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,264 ✭✭✭✭Hobbes

So Islam should have no problem with a muslim woman entering a contract with a non-muslim man?

Lets not play word games that lead into arguments.

The reason a Muslim woman is forbidden to marry outside the religion is because in Islam the man is considered the head of the household, and in charge of raising the children in Islam.

As the head of the household would not be a Muslim, it means to other Muslims they would believe that the children are not being raised under Islam.

.. But that isn't what the OP is asking about, I suspect he knew this already (certainly 5 seconds in google will tell you this).

He wanted to know what impacts would happen in the family relationship if such a case happens. Let's leave the thread to that.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,866 ✭✭✭irishconvert

What would your views be on your daughter or sister deciding to marry a Christian? Would you take any action to prevent it? If so, what? I've heard things about family members being shunned for doing such things, and just wanted to get the views of the locals here. Also, is there an official Islamic doctrine on this?
    Thanks.

I would not be very happy if this happened. I would not shun or disown her but would try to convince her that she is making a mistake.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,373 ✭✭✭Skuxx

I would not be very happy if this happened. I would not shun or disown her but would try to convince her that she is making a mistake.

I'm sorry but I really don't get this!! So your daughter finds herself a man, whom she loves and wants to spend the rest of her life with, surely as a parent you should encourage this to the best of your ability, regardless of what religion either person is, your daughters happiness should be your number one concern!! Calling it a mistake is insulting to the other person, its as if your calling non muslims inferior!
    I can only be thankful I was born outside all this "religion".

alan1990 wrote: »
    I'm sorry but I really don't get this!! So your daughter finds herself a man, whom she loves and wants to spend the rest of her life with, surely as a parent you should encourage this to the best of your ability, regardless of what religion either person is, your daughters happiness should be your number one concern!!
    It is, and I believe she will have a happier more stable marriage if her husband is a Muslim. Marriages with people of different religions can cause all kinds of problems especially when children come along. What if her husband is a devout Christian, this could cause a lot of problems down the line, and could potentially break up the marriage.
    Calling it a mistake is insulting to the other person, its as if your calling non muslims inferior!
    Oh come on, stop looking to be "offended". I don't think non-Muslims are inferior and never suggested so.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,027 ✭✭✭Ashbourne hoop

It is, and I believe she will have a happier more stable marriage if her husband is a Muslim. Marriages with people of different religions can cause all kinds of problems especially when children come along. What if her husband is a devout Christian, this could cause a lot of problems down the line, and could potentially break up the marriage.

Oh come on, stop looking to be "offended". I don't think non-Muslims are inferior and never suggested so.

Surely you want your daughter to be happy, regardless of what religion her husband was. I don't get your point that she will have a happier, more stable marriage if her husband is a Muslim. Are all Muslim marriages happy ? Seriously doubt it to be honest.

your daughters happiness should be your number one concern!! Calling it a mistake is insulting to the other person, its as if your
    If your daughter wants to jump from top story building, It makes her happy.. What will you do for her happiness. Easy question

Surely you want your daughter to be happy, regardless of what religion her husband was. I don't get your point that she will have a happier, more stable marriage if her husband is a Muslim. Are all Muslim marriages happy ? Seriously doubt it to be honest.

Did you not read my reply? I outlined the problems caused when two partners aree different religions and devout followers. Do you not think this will cause problems?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,027 ✭✭✭Ashbourne hoop

Did you not read my reply? I outlined the problems caused when two partners aree different religions and devout followers. Do you not think this will cause problems?

I did read your reply, it was just your opinion, and the opposite view could be argued just as easy.

• Registered Users Posts: 292 ✭✭smithcity

I think it's fair to say that the points made by irishconvert would be true of a devout adherent to any religion. A devout christian would be just as perturbed as a devout muslim if his daughter was to marry and raise her children outside of her faith.

• Registered Users Posts: 591 ✭✭✭Avox

So if your daughter wanted a happy life with someone who didn't want to control her, all the things she does, all the things she wears etc, you wouldn't be happy for her?

Says a lot about your religion tbh.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 149 ✭✭The Sky

Avox wrote: »

Hasn't he already said that it would be best if they both shared the same beliefs, I can understand him as if someone even who i loved told me that i believe was wrong and that Jesus was not God then i think my love for that person would be diminshed.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 25,848 ✭✭✭✭Zombrex

smithcity wrote: »
    I think it's fair to say that the points made by irishconvert would be true of a devout adherent to any religion. A devout christian would be just as perturbed as a devout muslim if his daughter was to marry and raise her children outside of her faith.

And to be honest as an atheist I would have issue with my son or daughter marrying a devout Muslim. While it might "make her happy" I would be concerned about the influence the religious practices would have on him/her and any grandchildren.

So there are sort of two issues here, and I agree with irishconvert that people seem to be rushing to be offended when I think if they stepped back a bit they might see more common ground that originally visible.

The first is whether or not parents should have opinions, including strong opinions, about the person their children get involved in. I would think yes, that is perfectly normal. Everyone is concerned about the influences others have over their children, particularly if they feel those influences are negative, which I personally feel Islam is. I can certainly relate to any parent who feels concerned about a negative influence on their children, even if I personally don't believe the influence is negative (ie a lot of religious people are concerned about secularism on their children, where as I think it is great).

The second issue that follows on is whether people think non-Islamic influences are negative. Not being a Muslim that is not a question I can answer from a Muslim perspective.

My over all point is that people should maybe think a bit before they condemn a Muslim who says they would be concerned about their daughter marrying a non-Muslim, and perhaps ask themselves how they would feel if their daughter was marrying that very Muslim (no offense irishconvert, I'm sure you are lovely :P)

• Registered Users Posts: 676 ✭✭✭HamletOrHecuba

So if your daughter wanted a happy life with someone who didn't want to control her, all the things she does, all the things she wears etc, you wouldn't be happy for her?

As a Christian I would feel exactly the same about a daughter or sister marrying a Muslim as he does one of his own marrying a Christian. Even her marrying a Protestant would not please. I think any serious member of a Religion would feel the same way.

All things said I would prefer her marrying a Muslim to some degenerate agnostic though.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,480 ✭✭✭wexie

Has it not occurred to any of you that the situation where two 'devout' followers of different religions are marrying is an extremely remote possibility purely by virtue of them being......(wait for it) two 'devout' followers of different religions?

If this were likely to happen, it would mean that 'devout followers' (of any religion) would be a lot more open minded and accepting than we're currently seeing and the world would be a much better place.

Or, on the opposite side of the argument, you could say that if two 'devout followers' (of any religion) are intending to get married, then by virtue of them considering marrying outside of their faith they are by definition not devout followers....

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22,479 ✭✭✭✭philologos

wexie wrote: »
    If this were likely to happen, it would mean that 'devout followers' (of any religion) would be a lot more open minded and accepting than we're currently seeing and the world would be a much better place.

Would it? Really?

Your position is on the false assumption that one is bigoted because they want to marry someone that shares their values and beliefs? Is that really true? I don't think so.

I'm a Christian, and as a result I stand for the Gospel. As a result I long to meet someone I can share my life with. My whole life, that includes my walk with Jesus. I'm more likely to relate to someone with whom I can actively live for Jesus with, rather than someone who strongly disagrees with Christianity.

This doesn't mean that I can't befriend non-Christians (and that I do), but marriage is something completely and utterly different.

I don't believe for a second that rejecting faith of necessity makes people open minded, indeed it can make people a whole lot more closed minded.

All things said I would prefer her marrying a Muslim to some degenerate agnostic though.

What about a generate agnostic?

I have to call you out on this. The Biblical text doesn't say that an agnostic is any more degenerate than a Muslim, or a Christian. Rather it teaches that we've all sinned and fallen short of God's glory and that Jesus came to save us through His death and resurrection so that we might be forgiven.

Your posts don't simply communicate the grace that you claim to have received as a Christian.

philologos wrote: »
    I have to call you out on this. The Biblical text doesn't say that an agnostic is any more degenerate than a Muslim, or a Christian. Rather it teaches that we've all sinned and fallen short of God's glory and that Jesus came to save us through His death and resurrection so that we might be forgiven.

Your posts don't simply communicate the grace that you claim to have received as a Christian.

All that is good comes from God- very many Muslims show forth much good in my experience, which being good comes to them from God, that is not to say that they have not sinned or are in the way of Salvation necessarily (though Muslims who are invincibly ignorant of Christ may well belong to the soul of the Church outside of which there is there is no salvation)- but to put pious Muslims on a level with Katie Price and Tony Blair is utterly offensive against basic justice.

Clearly Job though needing a Saviour was less degenerate than Pharaoh?

Clearly lot was less degenerate than the rest of Sodom.

• Advertisement

All that is good comes from God- very many Muslims show forth much good in my experience, which being good comes to them from God, that is not to say that they have not sinned or are in the way of Salvation necessarily (though Muslims who are invincibly ignorant of Christ may well belong to the soul of the Church outside of which there is there is no salvation)- but to put pious Muslims on a level with Katie Price and Tony Blair is utterly offensive against basic justice.

I agree that all things which are good are from God, but the idea that someone is more degenerate than another is patently nonsense.

Good works, don't save as far as Christianity is concerned. If that is your criteria, many atheists and agnostics actually do much good. They do much that God may even be pleased with, were it not for the clear rejection of Him.

The principle that is behind Christianity, is that God loved the world, and He loved it so much that He sent His Son Jesus into the world to rescue man.

I've sinned and fallen short of the glory of God, as have you, and as has everyone on the face of the planet. We've all sinned - nobody is any less a sinner than another actually. If we've sinned, we're guilty.

Therefore who exactly are you to claim that an agnostic is a "degenerate" in comparison to a Muslim? That's a profoundly unchristian thing to say to someone.

I agree that all things which are good are from God, but the idea that someone is more degenerate than another is patently nonsense.

Are you being serious?

Marcus Aurelius, who was indeed an enemy of God, was just as degenerate as the Marquis De Sade?

Are you being serious?

Marcus Aurelius, who was indeed an enemy of God, was just as degenerate as the Marquis De Sade?

They are no more "degenerate" than I am or you are. We were all enemies of God at one point or another. Paul makes this rather clear throughout his writings, Romans is a good place to start.

Simply put, it is entirely unacceptable for you to say that an agnostic is more "degenerate" than a Muslim in the eyes of the Gospel. I can't let a comment like that slide.

In fact, God created mankind in His image, He loves them and longs for them to come to salvation.

I've sinned and fallen short of the glory of God, as have you, and as has everyone on the face of the planet. We've all sinned - nobody is any less a sinner than another actually. If we've sinned, we're guilty.

Therefore who exactly are you to claim that an agnostic is a "degenerate" in comparison to a Muslim? That's a profoundly unchristian thing to say to someone.

We have all sinned but sinned to difference degrees, someone being cranky in the morning towards a loved one is not the same as raping a child, not by a long, long, long way- do you believe both are equal?

A Muslim acknowledges a Creator, acknowledges the natural law and beliefs that it should be served- if as Scripture teaches us that both those are given to all mankind and that people refuse to acknowledge them because they seek after evil (Romans 1), than it follow that Muslims are less degenerate than agnostics.

Ultimately sin is sin, we're still guilty before God irrespective of how severe one might say something is. By the by, I believe fully that a rapist or a murderer can be saved, and be transformed by God's grace. Jesus tells us that we can be forgiven, entirely through Him. I believe that. Do you?

Acknowledging a Creator doesn't matter much. Even the devil recognises Jesus as Lord. Ultimately what counts is whether or not you truly believe and trust in the Gospel. I.E - That as Jesus died, we died to sin, and as Jesus rose we rose to new life in Him.

No matter who you are, no matter what you've done, no matter what your background is, or what your history is, no matter what has happened to you in the past. God loves you, and longs for you to come to know Him.

Calling people "degenerates" has no role in Christianity, grace and truth does however. Your anti-Semitism (throughout this thread), isn't of God. Neither is your contempt towards others. I can't stand idly by while you post such nonsense in Jesus' name.

Paul makes this rather clear throughout his writings, Romans is a good place to start. .

Yes it is.

9 Tribulation and anguish, upon every soul of man that doeth evil, of the Jew first, and also of the Gentile;
    10 But glory, honour, and peace, to every man that worketh good, to the Jew first, and also to the Gentile:
    11 For there is no respect of persons with God.

12 For as many as have sinned without law shall also perish without law: and as many as have sinned in the law shall be judged by the law;
    13 (For not the hearers of the law are just before God, but the doers of the law shall be justified.
    14 For when the Gentiles, which have not the law, do by nature the things contained in the law, these, having not the law, are a law unto themselves:
    15 Which shew the work of the law written in their hearts, their conscience also bearing witness, and their thoughts the mean while accusing or else excusing one another

16 In the day when God shall judge the secrets of men by Jesus Christ according to my gospel.

• Advertisement

Calling people "degenerates" has no role in Christianity, grace and truth does however. Your anti-Semitism (throughout this thread), isn't of God. Neither is your contempt towards others. I can't stand idly by while you post such nonsense in Jesus' name.

What anti-semitism? I have never been anti-semitic on this forum once.

Are you denying that some people, particularly agnostics- note I said that degenerate agnostics, not that all agnostics are degenerate- are degenerate? Are you seriously saying that?

I fail to see your point. Read the next chapter particularly Romans 3:23:
    for fall have sinned and fall short of the glory of God

Or perhaps James 2:10-13:
    For whoever keeps the whole law but fails in one point has become accountable for all of it. For he who said, “Do not commit adultery,” also said, “Do not murder.” If you do not commit adultery but do murder, you have become a transgressor of the law. So speak and so act as those who are to be judged under the law of liberty. For judgment is without mercy to one who has shown no mercy. Mercy triumphs over judgment.

Even the most pious person in the world, even if they break one point of the law. They are guilty for all of it. Exactly why we are in desperate need of mercy.

The Gospel makes perfectly clear, we are all guilty before God. We all are in the same place in respect to Him whether or not we are Christian, Muslim, atheist, agnostic, Buddhist, Hindu etc. We all have the same question before us. Are we going to believe and trust in Jesus? Or will we reject Him?

My primary point is, I will be making extremely clear my opposition to such hatred in Jesus' name, and I will challenge you on it. I'm saying that agnostics are no more degenerate than anyone else before God. They are no more "degenerate" than I am. In fact, they were all created in God's image, and even though they have rejected Him. God loves them. Indeed, God showed His love to me as an agnostic about 5 years ago.

I won't tolerate this kind of nonsense that you are posting.

My primary point is, I will be making extremely clear my opposition to such hatred in Jesus' name, and I will challenge you on it.

The hatred is in your imagination (Judge not?)- I have no hatred towards Jews or agnostics, I can assure you of that, that does not stop from seeing them for what they are and the effects of their actions.

Even the most pious person in the world, even if they break one point of the law. They are guilty for all of it. Exactly why we are in desperate need of mercy.

So the pains of hell will be equal for all?

God will not judge every man according to this his works?

Who will render to every man according to his deeds.

Romans 2:6.

• Advertisement

Ultimately sin is sin.

So ultimately in your mind being cranky with a loved one is equal to murdering or raping a child?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,411 ✭✭✭oceanclub

What anti-semitism? I have never been anti-semitic on this forum once.

Are you denying that some people, particularly agnostics- note I said that degenerate agnostics, not that all agnostics are degenerate- are degenerate? Are you seriously saying that?

The fact that you think the Protocols of the Elders of Zion are fake but _still_ proof of ... something is one of the most bizarre things I've ever read:

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showpost.php?p=78772445&postcount=82

Are you asssociated with the SSPX?

P.

oceanclub wrote: »
    The fact that you think the Protocols of the Elders of Zion are fake but _still_ proof of ... something is one of the most bizarre things I've ever read:

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showpost.php?p=78772445&postcount=82

Are you asssociated with the SSPX?

P.

The Protocols outline a plan to destroy Christian societies and replace them with the tryanny of a carefully socially engineered mass under a universal state, the plan outlined as been realized with a frightening correspondance to that document. There I can fully understand people (such as Bishop Williamson) quoting it- that was my point.

Define what you mean by associated? Im a layman and I have gone to confession with SSPX Priests in the past and gone to Mass at their chapels, Im not doing so at the moment. I value many of the publications that they have put out- but Im not a Thomist for instance and I disagree with some of their approach.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,411 ✭✭✭oceanclub

The Protocols outline a plan to destroy Christian societies and replace them with the tryanny of a carefully socially engineered mass under a universal state, the plan outlined as been realized with a frightening correspondance to that document. There I can fully understand people (such as Bishop Williamson) quoting it- that was my point.

But. It's. Fake.

Quoting from a fake document is meaningless. The only thing to understand from others like Williamson quoting from this is that they're gullible, idiots or so filled with hate they don't care what they are quoting from is a fraud.

Williamson also denied 6 million Jews were murdered in the Holocaust. What is your attitude to this?
    Define what you mean by associated? Im a layman and I have gone to confession with SSPX Priests in the past and gone to Mass at their chapels,

The fact you go to confession with SSPX priests would come under the definition of "associated", I imagine.

P.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,163 ✭✭✭hivizman

We seem to have strayed rather far from the OP's question, which was about whether Muslims would be happy if their daughters or sisters wanted to marry a Christian.

If people want to discuss the Protocols of the Elders of Zion, particularly Muslim views of this document, then it's best to start another thread. Though, personally, I'd rather not give this document, which has been exposed over and over again as a fake, any further exposure.

oceanclub wrote: »

Williamson also denied 6 million Jews were murdered in the Holocaust. What is your attitude to this?

So its 6 million jews or is it six million all told that were supposed to have died in the camps? A lot of people seem confused on that point.

So he expressed a historical opinion going by the evidence he had to hand, I would say so what but given the fact that you can be thrown in jail in most western european countries for doing so on this particular subject its pretty obvious that the "Holocaust" has a pseudo-religious significance for the apostate world that has risen up on the ruins of Christian civilization; even agnostics must have their heresies, eh what?

Fair enough.

To try and get this thread back on topic...

Would the muslim posters here be equally disapproving of their daughter with a non-muslim as they would of their son with a non-muslim?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 42 inda_kenny

my father would not support my descision to not carry on the family business some years ago , i wanted to do something else and not only did he not support my choice , he blanked me for weeks after i told him , he never really came round and i ended up doing neither in the end

apples and oranges i know but the point is the same , controlling people exist in all walks of life and under many scenarios

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,824 ✭✭✭ShooterSF

So wait so no one thinks their grandchildren being exposed to more than one religion and being allowed to think for themselves is a good thing here? That seems to be the major concern, that grandchildren may be taught other religious beliefs as true. Surely you don't claim that a person needs to be instructed in one belief from a young age and hidden from the rest to believe what you do. Surely you believe the truth of your religion is all around us and that is why you follow it and if true so will your grandkids regardless of upbringing. To suggest otherwise is to concede ground to the atheists like myself who argue that indoctrination and not soul searching is the cause of most belief.

You are making the argument that a child's likelihood of following your beliefs are negatively affected if they aren't told from a young age that your beliefs are exclusively right OR that Christians telling them from a young age that what they teach is right will influence them that way. That's our damn argument! One you should be very uncomfortable standing behind.

• Advertisement
Advertisement