Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

What are your views on your Daughter or Sister Marrying a Christian?

2»

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22,479 ✭✭✭✭philologos

ShooterSF wrote: »
    So wait so no one thinks their grandchildren being exposed to more than one religion and being allowed to think for themselves is a good thing here? That seems to be the major concern, that grandchildren may be taught other religious beliefs as true. Surely you don't claim that a person needs to be instructed in one belief from a young age and hidden from the rest to believe what you do. Surely you believe the truth of your religion is all around us and that is why you follow it and if true so will your grandkids regardless of upbringing. To suggest otherwise is to concede ground to the atheists like myself who argue that indoctrination and not soul searching is the cause of most belief.

That's called a fallacy. It's like asking one have they stopped beating their wife.

I've not said:
    1) That I don't want people to be exposed to other religions
    2) That I don't want people to think critically

What I have said is that it would be incredibly difficult to be in a relationship with someone who doesn't share in such a huge part of who I am, that is my Christian walk with God.

Secondly, although in the event that I do have children, I want to explicitly tell them about Christianity and Jesus. I encourage critical thinking, and indeed I would encourage people to know about other faiths. I would never promote those faiths as being true however in the same way I would in respect to the Gospel.

The reality is although Christianity is true. It is also possible that people follow lies. Whether that is on a secular level, or in terms of other belief systems. Even if the truth abounds, and I believe firmly that it does. There are still plenty of lies, and many harmful ones at that to be affected by. Not all philosophies are equally true either.
    You are making the argument that a child's likelihood of following your beliefs are negatively affected if they aren't told from a young age that your beliefs are exclusively right OR that Christians telling them from a young age that what they teach is right will influence them that way. That's our damn argument! One you should be very uncomfortable standing behind.

I hadn't mentioned children before you had actually. My main point was about compatibility in relationship. Now, a relationship is different to a friendship. I have quite a few friends who are non-Christians (either atheists / agnostics or Muslims), but it would be incredibly difficult to even contemplating marrying a non-Christian.

Your argument is robustly flawed. Faith isn't deterministic. The main intention that Christians should have in teaching their children about their faith is that they are equipped to make a decision for themselves later on in life about it. The outcome isn't guaranteed.

If Christians believe what they do, it is immoral for them to keep that from their children, actually, it is immoral to keep that from others around us irrespective of whether or not they are our children or not.

philologos wrote: »
    The reality is although Christianity is true. It is also possible that people follow lies.

You really want to come onto the islam forum and say that christianity is true, fact, and other faiths are lies?
    You have no idea if it's true, it's a faith you picked out same as any other

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,824 ✭✭✭ShooterSF

That's called a fallacy. It's like asking one have they stopped beating their wife.

I've not said:
    1) That I don't want people to be exposed to other religions
    2) That I don't want people to think critically

What I have said is that it would be incredibly difficult to be in a relationship with someone who doesn't share in such a huge part of who I am, that is my Christian walk with God.

No the fallacy here is to suggest that either a) I said children were the only reason put forward on this thread, b) that it wasn't a recurring reason given by many on the thread or c) my post was directed only at you.
    Secondly, although in the event that I do have children, I want to explicitly tell them about Christianity and Jesus. I encourage critical thinking, and indeed I would encourage people to know about other faiths. I would never promote those faiths as being true however in the same way I would in respect to the Gospel.

The reality is although Christianity is true. It is also possible that people follow lies. Whether that is on a secular level, or in terms of other belief systems. Even if the truth abounds, and I believe firmly that it does. There are still plenty of lies, and many harmful ones at that to be affected by. Not all philosophies are equally true either.

So are you saying that you DO think your kids/grandkids being taught islam was true would make it less likely for them to discover the fact (in your opinion) that Christianity were true?

Your argument is robustly flawed. Faith isn't deterministic. The main intention that Christians should have in teaching their children about their faith is that they are equipped to make a decision for themselves later on in life about it. The outcome isn't guaranteed.

But is the likelihood of the outcome changed if they aren't offered Christianity as true from a young age as opposed to the other faiths you will teach them about (faiths you will suggest are wrong)?
    If Christians believe what they do, it is immoral for them to keep that from their children, actually, it is immoral to keep that from others around us irrespective of whether or not they are our children or not.

Indeed. I never suggested not teaching your kids about your religion I was just shocked that many faithful people on this topic openly hinted at the power of indoctrination through their fears of grandchildren being taught the wrong faith.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22,479 ✭✭✭✭philologos

bluewolf wrote: »
    You really want to come onto the islam forum and say that christianity is true, fact, and other faiths are lies?
    You have no idea if it's true, it's a faith you picked out same as any other

There's good and sound reason to believe in the Gospel. We can discuss that more extensively on the Christianity forum.

The main point why I suggest that we need to look at truth, and look at fiction is clear. Contradictory claims can't be all true. I'm actually not trying to be disrespectful or even step over peoples toes in saying that, and I'm absolutely certain that most atheists and those of other faiths would agree with that conclusion.

A and NOT A can't be both true. (I.E - Either Jesus was crucified, or He wasn't, Either Jesus was the living Son of God, or not, Either God exists or not). Either A is true, or A is false. There's no middle ground.

The question is what do we believe is true, and why.
    So are you saying that you DO think your kids/grandkids being taught islam was true would make it less likely for them to discover the fact (in your opinion) that Christianity were true?
    But is the likelihood of the outcome changed if they aren't offered Christianity as true from a young age as opposed to the other faiths you will teach them about (faiths you will suggest are wrong)?

If availability was completely cut off, then although it wouldn't be impossible, it would be very difficult. If the Bible and other materials are accessible to people, then it is possible that they can hear about Jesus even if they were brought up in a non-Christian home.

In the last year, I've met people who were ex-Sikh's who came to Christ, I've met people who were formerly Muslims who have now come to Christ, and I've met atheists / agnostics who have come to Christ. Nothing is impossible for God.
    Indeed. I never suggested not teaching your kids about your religion I was just shocked that many faithful people on this topic openly hinted at the power of indoctrination through their fears of grandchildren being taught the wrong faith.

There's nothing "indoctrinating" about telling someone about Christianity or any other faith / philosophy and letting people make up their own mind at a later date.

Most people I have met have decided to follow Jesus personally in later life as a Christian. It's not really guaranteed from childhood.

My point was if I truly believe that Christianity is true. It is immoral for me not to tell people about it. Likewise, I would expect people who believe Islam to be true, or people that believe that I am wasting my life to tell me about it. That is if they care at all.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,824 ✭✭✭ShooterSF

If availability was completely cut off, then although it wouldn't be impossible, it would be very difficult. If the Bible and other materials are accessible to people, then it is possible that they can hear about Jesus even if they were brought up in a non-Christian home.

In the last year, I've met people who were ex-Sikh's who came to Christ, I've met people who were formerly Muslims who have now come to Christ, and I've met atheists / agnostics who have come to Christ. Nothing is impossible for God.

Sorry I thought I was being clear. The question was not if they were cut off from it or if it was impossible. I asked did believers fear the likelihood of their children/grandchildren believing in their religion is reduced if those children are not taught from a young age that these beliefs ARE true. Nothing to do with being taught ABOUT the beliefs. As this seemed to be a concern of many here.
    A yes/no from anyone here at all would come as a surprise at this point to be honest.
    There's nothing "indoctrinating" about telling someone about Christianity or any other faith / philosophy and letting people make up their own mind at a later date.

Correct. Do you intend if you have children/grandchildren to tell them about Christianity and other faiths or do you intend to teach them directly or indirectly that Christianity is true and the others are false? That one is indoctrination by definition. Whether you are for or against it is another debate. As is it's power.
    Most people I have met have decided to follow Jesus personally in later life as a Christian. It's not really guaranteed from childhood.

I can't say I share your experience but I have yet to travel (something I hope to do soon). I wonder was there ever a poll on the christianity forum or the likes of after hours for the more lay people in regards how many came to Christianity rather than brought up being taught it as true.
    My point was if I truly believe that Christianity is true. It is immoral for me not to tell people about it. Likewise, I would expect people who believe Islam to be true, or people that believe that I am wasting my life to tell me about it. That is if they care at all.

Adult to adult I agree. Children is more a grey area.

All I have been getting at so far and with failure from any regular islam poster to interject is to question the issue of how concerned they are at how grandchildren are reared. Myself and atheists all around have the relatively easy ground here, we claim indoctrination is powerful and that you can influence a humans entire life by pushing beliefs on them at a young age. I was pretty certain the religious do not hold that point of view and if they do it's not as comfortable an opinion to hold.

Advertisement