Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

iPad with WiFi or with WiFi and 4G???

• 23-03-2012 2:13pm
    Registered Users Posts: 78 ✭✭

Hi guys, looking for some of your educated advice please! I'm going to buy an iPad this weekend, probably the iPad 3 but am looking for some guidance on whether to buy the WiFi only or the WiFi with 4G option.

I travel a lot with work and use my iPhone when I'm away for surfing, email, FB etc (its a work phone so I don't have to pay the roaming charges :)). At home I have UPS wireless broadband which is fine for my laptop. However if I buy the new iPad without going for the 4G option I know I will be restricted to WiFi hotspots or I won't be able to get on line when I'm away. I've checked with the mobile broadband providers (Vodafone, O2, 3) and they are all coming in at about €20/month for a mico-sim and upto 5GB of data.

So I am wondering, to save me having to shell out for the 4G model, and the monthly charge, is there a way that I could connect the WiFi only iPad to my phone to use the 3G connectivity of the phone and get on line that way?????

Thanks in advance for your help!

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,448 ✭✭✭JoeA3

Yes, you can use your iPhone's data.

Go into settings on your phone and switch on Personal Hotspot. Your phone then effectively becomes a wireless router, you'll see it as one of the WiFi hotspots from your iPad.

Anyone on Vodafone bill-pay can use this for "free" now, it comes out of your regular data allowance. This was news to me yesterday!

Only drawback really is that it will probably hog the battery of your phone a bit.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 22,679 CMod ✭✭✭✭Sad Professor

I can't believe Apple are calling it 4G over here as well.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,784 ✭✭✭TBi

JoeA3 wrote: »

Go into settings on your phone and switch on Personal Hotspot. Your phone then effectively becomes a wireless router, you'll see it as one of the WiFi hotspots from your iPad.

Anyone on Vodafone bill-pay can use this for "free" now, it comes out of your regular data allowance. This was news to me yesterday!

Only drawback really is that it will probably hog the battery of your phone a bit.

As he said but you can also use bluetooth tethering instead of WiFi. This is less battery intensive (especially as both iPad and iPhone now have Bluetooth 4.0) and will give the same speed.

Basically
    1. turn bluetooth on on both devices,
    2. enable tethering as above on the iPhone
    3. on iPad in bluetooth preferences you should see your iphone pop up
    4. pair the devices and you can surf away on your phones internet.

No point whatsoever buying a 4G version when you can tether, waste of money both for the extra hardware cost and the second data package!

Anyone know when the 5G is coming out?

:pac:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,784 ✭✭✭TBi

Would never have happened if Steve was still around!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,155 ✭✭✭Stainless_Steel

Why wouldn't they? It is 4g/LTE capable.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 14,998 Mod ✭✭✭✭whiterebel

JoeA3 wrote: »

:confused::confused:
    It depends very much on which provider the OP is using. VF and O2 have miserable allowances which you would use like a shot. 3 don't allow tethering for new contracts since Jan 1st 2012 on 3Pay or Billpay.

whiterebel wrote: »
    :confused::confused:
    It depends very much on which provider the OP is using. VF and O2 have miserable allowances which you would use like a shot. 3 don't allow tethering for new contracts since Jan 1st 2012 on 3Pay or Billpay.

First of all, the OP said she's not paying the phone bill.

Secondly I am on VF and have a 1GB data allowance, which is far from miserable IMO. I consider myself a relatively heavy user and never get near that 1GB. In fact I'm certain VF are cocking up the data counter, because my bill always seems to say I've only used 2 or 3MB, which is clearly not quite right!

Obviously everyone should check their own usage / allowances.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 22,679 CMod ✭✭✭✭Sad Professor

Why wouldn't they? It is 4g/LTE capable.

LTE isn't available in Ireland, so they shouldn't be calling it 4G with all the Irish networks listed beside it. But putting aside all the definitional issues surrounding 4G, the new "4G" iPad isn't even compatible with the existing 4G networks in Europe or the ones that are planned to be rolled out the UK. So even when "4G" does arrive here, the "4G iPad" probably won't work.

There's enough confusion over these terms as it is, Apple are only adding to it. I don't care what they call it in the US, but if it's only compatible with the US version of 4G then they shouldn't be calling it 4G over here, period.

• Registered Users Posts: 78 ✭✭Deise_vixen

All,

Thanks so much for your replies. I was looking at the 4G option as an expensive "nice to have" for the times when I am out of WiFi when travelling but seeing as there is a Bluetooth/tethering solution then I think I might just buy the WiFi version.

I am currently on VF, so it looks as though the data allowance would be sufficient for the odd occasion that I would need to connect through the iPhone.

I'll buy ye all a pints with the money I save instead, how's that??

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 14,998 Mod ✭✭✭✭whiterebel

All,

Thanks so much for your replies. I was looking at the 4G option as an expensive "nice to have" for the times when I am out of WiFi when travelling but seeing as there is a Bluetooth/tethering solution then I think I might just buy the WiFi version.

I am currently on VF, so it looks as though the data allowance would be sufficient for the odd occasion that I would need to connect through the iPhone.

Ah, go one then, you've twisted my arm......:D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,153 ✭✭✭bkehoe

All,

I don't think anybody has mentioned the major drawback of the wifi only version - the lack of GPS. Only the cellular data equipped versions of every iPad have a GPS receiver.

Thus if you ever feel the need to have an amazing large screen, high resolution sat nav then buy one with GPS. I love using mine for navigating when in a hire car somewhere and the large screen is amazing for navigating.
    I spend €5 a month for 500MB of data with 3 which also lets me use it for no extra charge in the UK and a few other countries which is great to have when outside of wifi coverage.
    An added advantage of a 4G iPad is that if it's ever stolen or lost then you will be able to track it and erase your personal data from it remotely if it is outside of wifi coverage.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,399 ✭✭✭Kashkai

But is it really a GPS chip or does it just use cellular masts to triangulate your position? If its the former, then great but if its the latter (and thus you need a separate micro sim and therefore more expense from our overpriced mobile networks), then not so good.

I use my iphone for a gps and it does the job perfectly. Can't imagine sticking an ipad up on my car's dash. It would block half the windscreen:D

But is it really a GPS chip or does it just use cellular masts to triangulate your position? If its the former, then great but if its the latter (and thus you need a separate micro sim and therefore more expense from our overpriced mobile networks), then not so good.

I use my iphone for a gps and it does the job perfectly. Can't imagine sticking an ipad up on my car's dash. It would block half the windscreen:D

I am fairly sure it is a GPS chip yes, so yeah that is another difference between the 2 if it's important to you. Nice to have but not critical IMO.

Being able to surf while roaming is definitely a bonus for sure, if you do a lot of travel. It's not 100% clear to me but my understanding is that vodafone now allow you to tether for free, but data roaming would be extra, even if like me, you can roam for free on the phone itself.

It has an A-GPS chip. It uses cell towers and wifi routers to get a rough fix on your location while waiting on more precise data from the satellite. Even a regular wifi iPad can do the first part.

• Registered Users Posts: 65 ✭✭mariotr87

I feel like having an iPad with 3G is redundant if you have a nice smartphone, unless you use your iPad out of home on a daily basis (e.g. if it's your main work computer and you have to move a lot).
    Otherwise, the iPhone (or whatever) works as an excellent, MUCH more practical GPS, and as an internet access point for those very few times you need it. I like having just 1 data plan for everything.

I went for the 64GB Wifi only version (I ordered it online). It's not because of the money (I mean, once you spend 679, spending 120 extra is not that much of a big deal, even though it hurts) it's just that I think it's pointless and a worse solution than centralizing the internet access on just one device. Plus, I hate the black band on the back :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,153 ✭✭✭bkehoe

It has an A-GPS chip. It uses cell towers and wifi routers to get a rough fix on your location while waiting on more precise data from the satellite. Even a regular wifi iPad can do the first part.

The regular wifi only iPad can not use cell towers for obvious reasons in determining location and will only triangulate an approximate location from detected wifi networks if it is already connected to the internet. So take it away from home in the car and you don't get any position information making it useless for any kind of navigation.

I've also saved hundreds of euros when travelling due to having a 3G iPad. I can't even begin to add up how many times I've been able to avoid paying for a hotels wifi when staying somewhere abroad (note that Vodafone's tethering is only inclusive for domestic use!). I either use my existing 3 Ireland SIM in Ireland and the UK (free 3Like Home data roaming in several different worldwide countries) which costs me a mere €5 a month. Go to a country not covered by the inclusive roaming and I either use a Vodafone PAYG SIM with the Live APN (3 euro a day for 50MB in EU countries) or if I'll be in the foreign country for a few days I pick up a local SIM and a data bundle for anything between €5 and €20. Much much cheaper than many hotel hotspots charge and I can use data and maps anywhere in the foreign country.

Couldn't be without a 3G iPad myself anyway. :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 805 ✭✭✭BeeDI

bkehoe wrote: »
    The regular wifi only iPad can not use cell towers for obvious reasons in determining location and will only triangulate an approximate location from detected wifi networks if it is already connected to the internet. So take it away from home in the car and you don't get any position information making it useless for any kind of navigation.

I've also saved hundreds of euros when travelling due to having a 3G iPad. I can't even begin to add up how many times I've been able to avoid paying for a hotels wifi when staying somewhere abroad (note that Vodafone's tethering is only inclusive for domestic use!). I either use my existing 3 Ireland SIM in Ireland and the UK (free 3Like Home data roaming in several different worldwide countries) which costs me a mere €5 a month. Go to a country not covered by the inclusive roaming and I either use a Vodafone PAYG SIM with the Live APN (3 euro a day for 50MB in EU countries) or if I'll be in the foreign country for a few days I pick up a local SIM and a data bundle for anything between €5 and €20. Much much cheaper than many hotel hotspots charge and I can use data and maps anywhere in the foreign country.

Couldn't be without a 3G iPad myself anyway. :)

You need a lesson on how to book hotels. I travel all the time. Europe and USA.95% of hotels I stay in offer free guest WiFi. It's pretty much the norm nowadays. Frankly if a hotel charged me for wifi, I would change hotel. Simple.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,936 ✭✭✭stomprockin

Apple offers iPad refunds in Australia over 4G....

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/business-17532613

Sweden is gearing up to take action against Apple as well.

• Advertisement

Sweden is gearing up to take action against Apple as well.

The Irish Government will probably take Apple to court as well......and be the only one to end up owing Apple money........:o

• Registered Users Posts: 144 ✭✭canihave

Genius - so glad I came across this post. Never realised you could do that with iphone and ipad. One quick stupid question - can I use my iphone to work a netbook as well? Thanks

canihave wrote: »
    Genius - so glad I came across this post. Never realised you could do that with iphone and ipad. One quick stupid question - can I use my iphone to work a netbook as well? Thanks

Yes, same method applies. Just be sure to check what your network provider is charging you extra (if anything) for it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,589 ✭✭✭patmac

canihave wrote: »

I have a HTC desire on contract with an allowance of 1GB per month which can act as a Hotspot, would this work with the New Ipad as I have no Broadband at home you.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 311 ✭✭siobhanoh

Yep I had a basic Android last year and used to tether to my iPad no problem.

patmac wrote: »
    I have a HTC desire on contract with an allowance of 1GB per month which can act as a Hotspot, would this work with the New Ipad as I have no Broadband at home you.

Depends on which network you are with.....

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,589 ✭✭✭patmac

I have a Htc Desire on Emobile Bill pay, €23 per month gets me 100 texts and 100 minutes plus 1 GB. Browsing worked well having activated the Hotspot on the Desire, although a bit slow was faster than my laptop which I use with an O2 dongle. I can use the local pub for downloading. I used up about 5% of the 1GB allowance yesterday but I was surfing for about 5 hours so very pleased and will cancel the O2 account today. Love boards saving me €20 per month.

• Registered Users Posts: 1 desiel

I have just been reading all the posts and still unsure as to which one i should get. Am i right in saying that it is more or less pointless spending extra money on the 4G as there is not a compatable network in ireland and the one that is planned will still not offer any better coverage beyond what already exists any way, but i can connect to my iphone and have the same benefits as if the 4G actually worked here.

Advertisement