Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

''Stranger Danger?''

• 23-03-2012 2:11pm
    Registered Users Posts: 246 ✭✭

tk123 wrote: »
    EDIT : You know just thinking there - from your OP you say the GDS is getting bigger - is he maybe a young dog that has started to go thru adolescence - there's a 'stranger danger' phase where they bark at everyone eg on the other side of a coming near the house - my guy did it too but grew out of it - windows too - even if it was US in the window he'd give out lol. Once he was seeing the neighbours in person and we were saying hello to them etc i'm assuming he matched them up with their scents so knew they were his friends and no harm to him.

Hi,slightly off topic, but interested in "stranger danger" as quoted above, my springer spaniel who is nearly two started doing that just before christmas, as a result we make sure she is always on the lead outside. When do they usually grow out of it ? and any advice on how to handle her when she does bark at someone when she is outside. Do I divert her attention or give out to her.... thanks

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,429 ✭✭✭✭star-pants

reeta I've given you your own thread on this as I do not wish to drag the other thread off topic further :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,441 ✭✭✭planetX

reeta wrote: »
    Hi,slightly off topic, but interested in "stranger danger" as quoted above, my springer spaniel who is nearly two started doing that just before christmas, as a result we make sure she is always on the lead outside. When do they usually grow out of it ? and any advice on how to handle her when she does bark at someone when she is outside. Do I divert her attention or give out to her.... thanks

Not a trainer but I don't think it's something your dog will grow out of - it's a behaviour you have to work to change. The more positive exposure to people the better. I'm using high value treats, and rewarding the dog a few seconds after stopping the barking.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,846 ✭✭✭barbiegirl

I've found giving the stranger a treat, getting them to get the dog to sit and then treating him stopped the barking within a week or so of it begining. Of course there are only some strangers who will help.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,045 ✭✭✭✭tk123

Sorry I don't think I was clear - I meant say if my neighbours were out the back all of a sudden when he got to say 8 or 9 months he'd bark at them but then grew out of it BUT - if there's a stranger out the back say workmen or something he'll huff and puff like a horse and then bark. We always tell him it's ok and take him in - having him out being a nuisance is unacceptable to us - we know people nearby work shifts etc BUT I like that he warns us like this? Maybe cos I'm a girl lol! :pac:

On the other hand he does this stranger danger stuff the odd time on walks - there's one person in particular that he likes to mortify me by barking at. When we see them I distract him so get him to focus on me and give him jackpot treats - we've gone from me basically dragging him down to road barking to me being able to get him to focus on me as we pass. The SHAME of it - I think it's cos the person has about 20 cats and he can smell them lol!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,916 ✭✭✭✭iguana

My dogs are springers and as such are natural watch dogs but poor guard dogs. If someone knocks on my door they bark, I call them back tell them they are good boys and get them to sit behind me before I open the door. That way they have alerted me and I have praised them for doing so but have made it clear that I am now in charge of the situation. That way they have done their bit for the pack and feel both appreciated but are also secure about what is happens with the visitor.

I like that they bark when someone knocks at the door. Not everyone who calls around does so completely innocently. A few days ago a pair of young men I've not seen around before slowly walked past each house on my street dog whistling and setting off all of my neighbours dogs. I noticed this before my dogs did and initially assuming they were looking for a missing dog, I was about to get my dogs to sit down and pay attention to me before they reached our house. Then I looked at them again and thought they didn't appear to be looking for a dog at all, so when they came past our house I let my dogs bark too. Maybe I was being a bit paranoid but I got the impression they were staking out which houses did and didn't have dogs, so I'm glad they know mine does. I also hope that if that is what they were doing, they saw the neighbours 4 great danes and think they are mine. :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 246 ✭✭reeta

Now I now why my house is one of the very few in my neighbourhood thats not been burglared :) I am diverting her attention if we meet anyone and when the doorbell goes and she goes into barking overdrive, I make her stand behind me when I open the door... Thanks for the replies, just wanted to make sure I was doing it right as I know she thinks she is protecting us ! thanks again...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,229 ✭✭✭Susannahmia

I have noticed that with every springer spaniel I have met. They don't warm up easily towards strangers and can be overprotective of family members. I think it's a breed thing. I know a few people who brought their springers for training because if their waryness of strangers.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,916 ✭✭✭✭iguana

I've had the opposite experience. All the want is a cuddle and they don't care who off. As soon as mine see that I've invited the person at the door into the house all they want is affection from them.

Advertisement