Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Anger of the public is rising

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,012 ✭✭✭Plazaman

gremha wrote: »
    .....Sometimes parents pull up in the bus stop, drop their kids & drive straight off again, no more than a 30-60 second exercise.

This morning there were two Gardai at the bus stop, standing back from it, behind a high wall.

A car pulled up & the door opened, a child aged about ten kissed it's mother (assume it was it's mother) & was getting out of the car when the two Gardai stepped out. One had his notebook/ticketbook out already & the other walked around the back of the car, I guess inspecting it. The child got out & stood on the path watching.

As the garda with the book was speaking to the driver. A pedestrian walking their child across the road started shouting at them "You should be arresting corrupt politicians instead of harassing parents dropping their kids to school" Then another on the side where the car was started shouting at them to "Leave the poor woman alone", then another started shouting something I was just out of earshot to hear clearly, all three of them approached the Guards & were shouting at them, the Garda motioned for the woman to go & then they said something to each other & to the two men & woman who had been shouting at them......

I see nothing here about her actually getting a ticket but I do see she pulled into a bus stop. Seeing as everyone else is speculating, I will too. Maybe Bus Eireann got onto the Gardai to monitor the situation as they were fed up with people taking up the space for the bus which has to wait in the road blocking traffic creating a hazard until Mummy drops off her little angel "for 10 seconds" without due regard for others.

I'll raise the speculation stakes and hazard a guess that she is the same person who pulls up outside a shop on double yellow lines or on a footpath and leaves the hazard lights on while she "pops in".

If these people want to complain or shout about corrupt politicians, they know where Kildare Street is.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 43,028 ✭✭✭✭SEPT 23 1989

Well Los Angeles went up in flames over a speeding fine

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,208 ✭✭✭keithclancy

Whats the betting she lived 10 minutes walk away from the school ?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,962 ✭✭✭✭dark crystal

prinz wrote: »
    What about the bay for the school bus? That not count?

As I stated previously, there is no school bus system in place where I live.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,598 ✭✭✭✭prinz

As I stated previously, there is no school bus system in place where I live.

I was referring to the OP where the car was pulling into the designated bus parking bay.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,803 ✭✭✭✭kippy

Whats the betting she lived 10 minutes walk away from the school ?

She may have.
    I walked to national school, as did the majority of my friends. We were all within 15 -20 minutes walk of the school but a few things were different then.
    1. There were far fewer cars on the road - we were also lucky that there was a decent sized verge to walk on (country roads).
    2. There wasn't an insane fear of someone coming along and kidnapping your child.
    3. It seem to rain less then than it does now.

There are many other variables that, even if you live relatively close by a school, may not make it practical or safe to walk.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,109 ✭✭✭MaxSteele

O no?

Either way, they were actually doing their job. Damned if they do, damned if they don't. Oh I forgot they are supposed to turn a blind eye to some people. So Max, where exactly is the line between petty, trivial nonsense and the rules of the road the gardaí should be enforcing? In your head I assume.

I should have rephrased that as "not all guards are pricks". The ones in question were.

This isn't the M50 or Naas road were talking about. This is probably a suburban or village area with a very low speed limit. If you don't like having to wait in traffic or have concern for other people, like everybody else, then quit your whinging and use a different route. Btw, imagine those guards stopping "times how many cars" doing that every morning ?? I'm sure you wouldn't be quick to defend them then I bet. Big difference between parking illegally and leaving it there for ages as opposed to a few measly seconds, which makes sweet f*** all difference to me or you.

I was referring to the OP where the car was pulling into the designated bus parking bay.

I wouldn't normally advocate anyone parking in a bus parking bay, but if the bay was empty and the woman was simply dropping her child off safely for a matter of seconds, it wouldn't bother me, as long as she wasn't preventing a bus from parking there.

I wouldn't normally advocate anyone parking in a bus parking bay, but if the bay was empty and the woman was simply dropping her child off safely for a matter of seconds, it wouldn't bother me, as long as she wasn't preventing a bus from parking there.

Seriously what happens when 20, 30 people have the same idea? Do you let them all park there? What happens when the bus is prevented from parking safely? Do you tell people not to stop there in future?

• Advertisement

kippy wrote: »
    She may have.
    I walked to national school, as did the majority of my friends. We were all within 15 -20 minutes walk of the school but a few things were different then.
    1. There were far fewer cars on the road - we were also lucky that there was a decent sized verge to walk on (country roads).
    2. There wasn't an insane fear of someone coming along and kidnapping your child.
    3. It seem to rain less then than it does now.

There are many other variables that, even if you live relatively close by a school, may not make it practical or safe to walk.

I think your watching too much TV.

1. Drink driving was rife back then, Ireland was one of the worst places in Europe for it.
    2. You'd be more worried about the Paedo priests running the school, never mind the Weirdos that existed back then as well, they didn't just 'appear' in the last 20 years.
    3. WTF, Bring an umbrella, less rain, I remember it being just as s*it as it is now.

The difference back then was it was seen as an unnecessary waste to drive that short a distance to school, now its seen as a necessity, plus people didn't have more than 1 car and your Dad or mum would have taken that to work.

Seriously what happens when 20, 30 people have the same idea? Do you let them all park there? What happens when the bus is prevented from parking safely? Do you tell people not to stop there in future?

If she was preventing the school bus from parking in the bay, then yes, she would deserve a ticket in that case.

If she was preventing the school bus from parking in the bay, then yes, she would deserve a ticket in that case.

Ah so its ok then, so everyone should do it, excellent I'll spread the word.

They should just rename that thing outside the Airport from set down to bus stop.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,678 ✭✭✭I Heart Internet

The chancer, corrupt nod-and-wink stuff that went on with Bertie and his ilk is just a logical step along the road from people "bending" rules in a "it'll be grand, sure I'm not doing any harm" mentality of parking in bus stops, on footpaths, on yellow lines and so on.

No point telling guards to "do their jobs" when that is there job.

Ireland is blessed and, at the same time, kinda ruined by the "ah, sure it'll be grand" attitude.

You're not allowed park on a bus stop - don't ****ing park there. End of.

And maybe more importantly than that - don't complain about getting caught when you know it's not allowed.

I think your watching too much TV.

1. Drink driving was rife back then, Ireland was one of the worst places in Europe for it.
    2. You'd be more worried about the Paedo priests running the school, never mind the Weirdos that existed back then as well, they didn't just 'appear' in the last 20 years.
    3. WTF, Bring an umbrella, less rain, I remember it being just as s*it as it is now.

The difference back then was it was seen as an unnecessary waste to drive that short a distance to school, now its seen as a necessity, plus people didn't have more than 1 car and your Dad or mum would have taken that to work.

There wasnt much drink driving happening at 9am or 14:00/15:00. Roads were generally safer as there were far fewer cars on them. 1 car per house (at most was the norm)
    They didnt just appear in the last 20 years, I am aware of that, however people are more aware of them and there is a far bigger reporting on child kidnappings, child abuse and general crime towards children, despite it still being a pretty rare occurance (thankfully) - people are genuinely more fearful of this kind of stuff happening their kid now. It is very unfair to label priests as paedos also.

A five year old kid walking on his own to school with an umbrella - five years olds today can barely tie their own shoe laces.

Unfortunately mum didnt work, she minded my siblings at home and dad worked either in the UK or five hours drive from home.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,674 ✭✭✭Dangerous Man

I have all but stopped posting on boards because I grew sick to my back teeth of the way in which these forums are policed. I was also sick and tired of how every thread worth reading quickly degenerated into an exercise in nitpicking and pedantry.

I had to break my own 'rule' and chime in here because I am flabbergasted that so many people in this thread are either willfully, or just through plain stupidity, missing the OP's point.

Those people were 100% justified in shouting at those Guards - I applaud them - BRAVO!

The AGS has always been a big stick with which to beat little people in Ireland - that's all it's ever been. A bully-boy police force that is great at going after the little guy but utterly cowardly, flacid, impotent when it comes to going after serious criminals. That people are waking up to this fact is fantastic. That people have had the scales removed from their eyes and can now see the true nature of justice in Ireland is refreshing and who knows - might lead to a better country in the long run. What the OP presented to us should be taken not just literally but as symbolic of a deeper anger. I pray that it is and that Irish people will finally brush off this crippling apathy and scream, shout, and fight for change.

• Advertisement

The chancer, corrupt nod-and-wink stuff that went on with Bertie and his ilk is just a logical step along the road from people "bending" rules in a "it'll be grand, sure I'm not doing any harm" mentality of parking in bus stops, on footpaths, on yellow lines and so on.

Ireland is blessed and, at the same time, kinda ruined by the "ah, sure it'll be grand" attitude.

And maybe more importantly than that - don't complain about getting caught when you know it's not allowed.
    That was my point in the post above.......

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 27,564 ✭✭✭✭steddyeddy

Ignorant fools should my their own business and let the gardaí do their jobs.

If they cant get their priorities right then its not really doing their jobs.

I have all but stopped posting on boards because I grew sick to my back teeth of the way in which these forums are policed. I was also sick and tired of how every thread worth reading quickly degenerated into an exercise in nitpicking and pedantry.

I had to break my own 'rule' and chime in here because I am flabbergasted that so many people in this thread are either willfully, or just through plain stupidity, missing the OP's point.

Those people were 100% justified in shouting at those Guards - I applaud them - BRAVO!

The AGS has always been a big stick with which to beat little people in Ireland - that's all it's ever been. A bully-boy police force that is great at going after the little guy but utterly cowardly, flacid, impotent when it comes to going after serious criminals. That people are waking up to this fact is fantastic. That people have had the scales removed from their eyes and can now see the true nature of justice in Ireland is refreshing and who knows - might lead to a better country in the long run. What the OP presented to us should be taken not just literally but as symbolic of a deeper anger. I pray that it is and that Irish people will finally brush off this crippling apathy and scream, shout, and fight for change.

Well said.

I lose faith in humanity listening to some of the pro-nanny state dribble being spewed on this thread.

I'm actually beginning to wonder if anyone on this thread has ever parked on a yellow line or a footpath themselves...

Seems I'm the only one here guilty of such a heinous act of treachery!

That was my point in the post above.......

Yeah, was reacting to the OP - didn't read very many of the responses.

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 4,290 ✭✭✭mickydoomsux

"B...b....but, the other lad did it as well. Shure, i should be allowed to do it.An older boy made me do it"

A nation of infantile buffoons. Disobey the law and then berate the people doing their jobs enforcing the law for not going after whoever you deem to be the "right" person to go after.

People complain about corruption revelations in the Mahon tribunal findings after voting in the corrupt scum who did it because of parish pump, nod and wink, "i'll get you a medical card/the roads done/the bit of planning" politics. We got the crooks we deserved.

I'm actually beginning to wonder if anyone on this thread has ever parked on a yellow line or a footpath themselves...

I have. Absolutely I have.

But I don't whine about how other people get away with stuff if I get called on it by people employed and empowered to police it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22,559 ✭✭✭✭AnonoBoy

Of course people have. But there's no point giving the Gardai abuse about 'catching corrupt politicians' when they tell you not to.

There wasnt much drink driving happening at 9am or 14:00/15:00. Roads were generally safer as there were far fewer cars on them. 1 car per house (at most was the norm)
    They didnt just appear in the last 20 years, I am aware of that, however people are more aware of them and there is a far bigger reporting on child kidnappings, child abuse and general crime towards children, despite it still being a pretty rare occurance (thankfully) - people are genuinely more fearful of this kind of stuff happening their kid now. It is very unfair to label priests as paedos also.

That "morning after" thing that the RSA kept going on about must be total shíte then.

You know, over here in the Netherlands all the kids either get the bus or cycle to school. I'm sure people go missing, but tbh there would be no difference with someone bottling you in the face and then running off with your kid, if they really wanted to they would.

Not really relevant to Ireland, but a Dutch person would find it stupid to live in a place where their kids couldn't get to school or go to the city, they could buy a house 4 times the size out in the country but they make do with a smaller house to have amenities for their kids.

Mollycoddling your kid and driving them everywhere is just going to turn them into an overweight spoilt little shíte.
    A five year old kid walking on his own to school with an umbrella - five years olds today can barely tie their own shoe laces.

Have adult walk with them then, the neighbourhood here take turns taking each others kids to school.
    Unfortunately mum didnt work, she minded my siblings at home and dad worked either in the UK or five hours drive from home.

Well done for her, my mum did the same.

steddyeddy wrote: »

A couple of gardaí doing the grunt work on the beat have no say in the allocation of resources to the fraud squad or how that investigation is going. They were doing their job. Their job is not to pick and choose what to do on the basis that they could be doing something else, somewhere else. If you want to go take it out on the Commissioner, do. Those gardaí were doing their job.
    I pray that it is and that Irish people will finally brush off this crippling apathy and scream, shout, and fight for change.

Fight for the right to break whatever laws we see fit because someone else broke some. Hooray! Sounds like a great place to live altogether.
    MaxSteele wrote: »
    Well said.
    I lose faith in humanity listening to some of the pro-nanny state dribble being spewed on this thread.

It has nothing to do with being nanny state? :confused:

• Registered Users Posts: 444 ✭✭AEDIC

So...big crime...ok for them to do their job.... little crime not ok for them to do their job.... is that it.. :rolleyes:

Did you read the OP at all and decipher from that the reason that they were shouting at the Garda?

Read it again.... do you think they were shouting at the Garda because of, and I quote ' A bully-boy police force that is great at going after the little guy' who actually was parking where they shouldnt have been.

Or maybe do you think they were shouting at the Garda because, like you.... they were actually mistakenly associating an actual driving/parking violation, with something that has not been proven to be a crime (whether you like it or not, right or wrong, that is the current state of the situation)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,420 ✭✭✭Lollipops23

Yes, roaring abuse at 2 random police men will solve everything. They're just doing their jobs- they'd probably had a rake of complaints from locals of Dublin Bus about people pulling in wherever the hell they want to and had to act.

Apparently once you have a kid you can disregard basic driving rules....

I have. Absolutely I have.

But I don't whine about how other people get away with stuff if I get called on it by people employed and empowered to police it.

But there's a world of difference here...

If I get a ticket for parking illegally, I have to pay it, or face a heavy fine or even prison. Fair cop, I'm held accountable.

Where is the accountability for those in power who broke the law - that's where the anger is coming from.

That "morning after" thing that the RSA kept going on about must be total shíte then.

You know, over here in the Netherlands all the kids either get the bus or cycle to school. I'm sure people go missing, but tbh there would be no difference with someone bottling you in the face and then running off with your kid, if they really wanted to they would.

Not really relevant to Ireland, but a Dutch person would find it stupid to live in a place where their kids couldn't get to school or go to the city, they could buy a house 4 times the size out in the country but they make do with a smaller house to have amenities for their kids.

Mollycoddling your kid and driving them everywhere is just going to turn them into an overweight spoilt little shíte.

Have adult walk with them then, the neighbourhood here take turns taking each others kids to school.

Well done for her, my mum did the same.

There were less cars on the road back in the day, thats a fact. The morning after, on a week day? I'd say more people nowadays drink during the week and drive the next morning (pulling that stat out of my ass)

Every case is different, I amn't pro driving your kids to school, but I can see why some people do it, indeed this particular woman might be carpooling, may live a few miles away from the school due to enrollment policy (another issue) etc etc

In an ideal world kids would walk or cycle to school. We don't live in an ideal world and you only have to look in the cycling forum to see we have major issues with safe cycling in this country.

It would be nice to have adults walk the kids to school, an ideal scenario in some cases but this doesnt suit everyone.

Where is the accountability for those in power who broke the law - that's where the anger is coming from.

For one thing the investigation into Anglo etc is still on going. The fraud squad is seriously undermanned and under resourced*. They've come out and given a timeline so often but apparently people still choose to ignore it. IIRC they should be finishing up next year. Woefully long, but it is on-going.

Secondly the Mahon Tribunal report has been forwarded to the DPP and AGS from what I heard last night.

So just who is not being held to account?

*just on that I have heard it recently about the team assigned to the banking collapse. Anglo and all the dodgy dealings. It was something like a team of 9 gardaí and a few of them were close to retirement age.

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 4,290 ✭✭✭mickydoomsux

That's what tribunals are for. A file has been sent to the DPP as a result of the Mahon findings.

Should we just imprison everyone even slightly mentioned in it instead of actually doing the correct legal legwork?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,037 ✭✭✭Nothingbetter2d

In an ideal world kids would walk or cycle to school. We don't live in an ideal world and you only have to look in the cycling forum to see we have major issues with safe cycling in this country.

It would be nice to have adults walk the kids to school, an ideal scenario in some cases but this doesnt suit everyone.

the biggest threat to kids walking to school these days is traffic and perverts with nasty intentions. no wonder parents feel the need to drive their kids to school, no parent wants to end up like the mccann family where a child goes missing never to be found again.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,013 ✭✭✭kincsem

^ does not compute.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,933 ✭✭✭Logical Fallacy

bluewolf wrote: »
    If parents would stop parking everywhere in the vicinity of schools, swarming the roads, and often being a hazard, we'd get somewhere
    good on the gardai for going out there

Absolutely. There are two schools on the street I live on, the parents are freaking hilarious when they are dropping off or picking up the kids.

The road is a freaking nightmare and you have at least 2 near misses a day and for some reason they seem more than happy to nearly run over other people's kids, park on double yellow lines while they get the shopping in before they collect the little ones etc.

The majority of them seem to feel like they are a law unto themselves.

For one thing the investigation into Anglo etc is still on going. The fraud squad is seriously undermanned and under resourced. They've come out and given a timeline so often but apparently people still choose to ignore it. IIRC they should be finishing up next year. Woefully long, but it is on-going.

Secondly the Mahon Tribunal report has been forwarded to the DPP and AGS from what I heard last night.

Ask me again when the Anglo investigation is concluded and the DPP come out with their findings.

Until then, it's fair to say, no one has yet been held accountable for any crime.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,207 ✭✭✭The King of Moo

But there's a world of difference here...

If I get a ticket for parking illegally, I have to pay it, or face a heavy fine or even prison. Fair cop, I'm held accountable.

But what's the point in directing this anger at two guards who are probably just doing their job? (though I should point out that the woman doesn't seem to have received a ticket)

Shouting at guards for giving tickets for small infringements makes it seem like the shouters think that guards should ignore small offences, and only punish major ones.

If they were shouting "We think you're right to give her a ticket if she's parked illegally, but we also think that other guards involved in prosecuting white-collar crime should be convicting more white-collar criminals! Please pass this on to your superiors!" then fair enough.

But giving out to guards doing their job makes it seem like those giving out think that for everyone parking offence punished, one white-collar criminal goes free.

We can, and should, enforce all of our laws. We don't have to choose whether to enforce the big or the small ones. We can do both simultaneously.

The fact that other's are not, or have not yet, been held accountable for different offences isn't a get out of jail for those who have been held accountable.

If people are angry that they perceive certain people haven't been held accountable for crimes then that's fine. But it's no excuse for committing your own offences.

A couple of gardaí doing the grunt work on the beat have no say in the allocation of resources to the fraud squad or how that investigation is going. They were doing their job. Their job is not to pick and choose what to do on the basis that they could be doing something else, somewhere else. If you want to go take it out on the Commissioner, do. Those gardaí were doing their job.
    I pray that it is and that Irish people will finally brush off this crippling apathy and scream, shout, and fight for change.

Fight for the right to break whatever laws we see fit because someone else broke some. Hooray! Sounds like a great place to live altogether.
    MaxSteele wrote: »
    Well said.

It has nothing to do with being nanny state? :confused:

Prinz are not angry at the amount of serious criminals walking the street when gaurds pick on the minor crimes?

For one thing the investigation into Anglo etc is still on going. The fraud squad is seriously undermanned and under resourced. They've come out and given a timeline so often but apparently people still choose to ignore it. IIRC they should be finishing up next year. Woefully long, but it is on-going.

Where does a man start.
    1. Ivor Callelly.
    2. John O Donohoe.
    3. Willie O Dea (over the case in Limerick a few years ago)
    4. Aongus O Snodaigh.
    5. Charlie Haughy
    6. Denis O Brien
    7. Any banker who advised the markets/shareholders that they were sound out/misrepresented directors loans/"swapped" monies from one bank to another to make the books look better, facilitated insider trading. (while this investigation is ongoing = 4 YEARS - if we care about this kind of thing why isnt MORE manpower going into it?
    The list does go on, but a lot of these people have had the issues buried and I cannot remember them all.....

We dont have a great history in investigating at a criminal level or prosecuting white collar crime. Somewhere there has to be a last straw.

Id also like to state, as have Bertie and others, that the reports of these tribunals are not legally binding, prosecutions may not even stem from them.........negating 15 years work and countless millions, while all the time as the tribunal went on these guys ran the country.....and are now away into the sunset.

• Advertisement

the biggest threat to kids walking to school these days is traffic and perverts with nasty intentions. no wonder parents feel the need to drive their kids to school, no parent wants to end up like the mccann family where a child goes missing never to be found again.

Where does it end and when does it become 'safe' to leave your kids go somewhere on their own ?

The McCanns ? ... Sky have alot to answer for.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,116 ✭✭✭starviewadams

I see the same sort of things outside my local national school every morning and afternoon,cars parked in bus lanes and totally blocking footpaths while the parents are waiting for their kids to get in or out of the car.Most of the time the kids who aren't getting lifts home are forced to walk out onto the road to get by the cars parked on the paths or to get their bus.

Fair play to the Gardai in the OP's case for actually doing something about it.I'm sure if a child was knocked down by a car while being forced to navigate around these cars that are 'only stopped for a minute' the eejits who were shouting at the rank and file guards (for having the temerity to do their jobs!) would be screaming blue murder about the Gardai not enforcing the traffic laws around the school.

As an aside,the Gardai were probably there at the school's request in the first place.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 34,418 ✭✭✭✭hondasam

Parents parking outside school blocking the road is a pain in the ass especially when they can park legally but are just to lazy to get out of the car and walk the kids to the school gate.
    It happened to me only last week outside the local school which is in the country this person just stopped in the middle of the road, no indicator nothing did not even attempt to pull in as for the local town you just don't go there when the schools are coming out.

It is poor form for AGS to be standing outside schools looking to generate revenue if this is what they were doing bearing in mind these guards were only doing what they were directed to do by their superiors.
    It's probably more a case of several complaint received at the station and they were showing their presence to deter parents from parking illegally.

But what's the point in directing this anger at two guards who are probably just doing their job? (though I should point out that the woman doesn't seem to have received a ticket)

We can, and should, enforce all of our laws. We don't have to choose whether to enforce the big or the small ones. We can do both simultaneously.

I don't agree with anyone shouting the odds at the Gardai, but I can understand where the anger comes from.

For one thing the investigation into Anglo etc is still on going. The fraud squad is seriously undermanned and under resourced*. They've come out and given a timeline so often but apparently people still choose to ignore it. IIRC they should be finishing up next year. Woefully long, but it is on-going.

*just on that I have heard it recently about the team assigned to the banking collapse. Anglo and all the dodgy dealings. It was something like a team of 9 gardaí and a few of them were close to retirement age.

Whos not being held to account? There are sexual abusers still walking free in this country. How many arrests came as a result of the ryan and ferns report?

It has nothing to do with being nanny state? :confused:[/QUOTE]

When parents are being unfairly enforced like that in rush hour traffic, that's what I call a nanny state. They dont need to be told the rules, they already know them.

Many court cases take "exception" to the defendants circumstances for breaking the law."I had a bad upbringing, alcoholic father, junkie parents blah blah blah" and are let off the hook on some bull**** compassionate grounds. Yet you or the guards can't take exception to a law abiding citizen trying to get their kid to school by crossing the yellow line for a few seconds ?

Hypocrites.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 7,397 ✭✭✭Paparazzo

In all fairness, linking someone dropping their kids off at school isn't "a logical step" to being a corrupt polititian.
    As for everyone being prosecuted to the full extent of the law, no matter how trivial, give me a break. In the real world everyone in the country would be fined, especially anyone that drives, cycles or crosses roads.

I think what the OP meant was that the middle and working class people are sick to the hilt of being targeted with taxes, and this is breaking point.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 34,418 ✭✭✭✭hondasam

A bit dramatic tbf, why can't the parents walk with them if this is a concern?
    There are car park near the school I mentioned but it involves parking, locking the car and having to walk for five minutes.

This is my point from earlier,
    The threat is probably no greater than it ever has been, the perception is far different however.
    Every second adult you don't know, isnt necessarily a pervert.

Whos not being held to account? There are sexual abusers still walking free in this country. How many arrests came as a result of the ryan and ferns report?

Take it up with the DPP and the gardaí superiors inquire as to the status of the criminal investigations against these individuals. Again, no reason whatsoever to ignore the law on the ground or allow others to break it. There are murderers walking free in this country too.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,207 ✭✭✭The King of Moo

I don't agree with anyone shouting the odds at the Gardai, but I can understand where the anger comes from.

I understand where it comes from too, but I just don't understand where it's directed.

Though I suppose I do understand a little, now I think of it, as it's quite common for people's anger to be aimed at easy targets with a straightforward narrative to follow (mother and child picked on by police when they were just stopped for a second; welfare cheats stealing from you and me, immigrants taking our jobs).

I just wish people would put this anger to better use.

• Advertisement
Advertisement