Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Anger of the public is rising

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,678 ✭✭✭I Heart Internet

Can we not agree that:

1) All laws should be enforced big and small - tax evasion, corruption and parking offences?

2) It's bad form to shout at gardai just doing their job?

3) If you commit and offence, complaining that others didn;t get prosecuted for the same or other offence is no defence?

You're not allowed park on a bus stop - don't ****ing park there. End of.

Your not allowed park on double yellow lines yet walk down townsend street and you can see 7 cars parked on them belonging to police.

I think its just picking the low hanging fruit.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,803 ✭✭✭✭kippy

Can we not agree that:

1) All laws should be enforced big and small - tax evasion, corruption and parking offences?

2) It's bad form to shout at gardai just doing their job?

3) If you commit and offence, complaining that others didn;t get prosecuted for the same or other offence is no defence?

I totally agree with all of that. That is how a just and fair society should operate.
    However, in todays environment on can see that point number 1 is definetly not being upheld and that will have an effect on the attitude and behaviour of a people.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,933 ✭✭✭Logical Fallacy

MaxSteele wrote: »
    When parents are being unfairly enforced like that in rush hour traffic, that's what I call a nanny state. They dont need to be told the rules, they already know them.

Many court cases take "exception" to the defendants circumstances for breaking the law."I had a bad upbringing, alcoholic father, junkie parents blah blah blah" and are let off the hook on some bull**** compassionate grounds. Yet you or the guards can't take exception to a law abiding citizen trying to get their kid to school by crossing the yellow line for a few seconds ?

Hypocrites.

How do you know they are hypocrites? Surely unless you can link the person in question to a relaxed attitude towards some crime and a stern attitude towards others you are just pointlessly using two unconnected issues to prove a point and hold something over other posters.

I don't understand why people will use this line of argument so often on the internet when it makes no ****ing sense.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,598 ✭✭✭✭prinz

When parents are being unfairly enforced like that in rush hour traffic,....

..and their solution... I know, let's make the rush hour traffic even worse. What was unfair about it? According to the OP the lady parked her car in the bus zone. Seems straight-forward to me.
    They dont need to be told the rules, they already know them.

They do need to be reminded of them if they break them though.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 27,564 ✭✭✭✭steddyeddy

prinz wrote: »
    steddyeddy wrote: »
    Whos not being held to account? There are sexual abusers still walking free in this country. How many arrests came as a result of the ryan and ferns report?

Take it up with the DPP and the gardaí superiors. Again, no reason whatsoever to ignore the law on the ground or allow others to break it. There are murderers walking free in this country too.

Actually there are many cases where the ordinary gaurds where told about abuse cases only to "lose" the file. I agree with warning someone over illegal parking. No arguement can justify it but the gaurds have to get their priorities right. Im well aware of the garda superior's attitudes thanks to the excellent report by newsnight.

Paparazzo wrote: »
    In all fairness, linking someone dropping their kids off at school isn't "a logical step" to being a corrupt polititian.

No it's not - it's all "this particular law doesn;t apply to me at this particular time" attitude.
    As for everyone being prosecuted to the full extent of the law, no matter how trivial, give me a break. In the real world everyone in the country would be fined, especially anyone that drives, cycles or crosses roads.

And then offences would decrease. Basic economics. The risk of getting penalised increased so it becomes "less worth it" to do illegal things. Oh - and jay-walking isn't a crime in Ireland so people crossing the road would be fine.
    I think what the OP meant was that the middle and working class people are sick to the hilt of being targeted with taxes, and this is breaking point.

That's absolutely true. But it has little to do with how we should approach crime.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,208 ✭✭✭keithclancy

I must remember this thread the next time I'm done for moderate speeding.

I will proceed to call the Garda an As$hole and rave on about Bertie and then wait for people to rally to my plight.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,030 ✭✭✭✭Chuck Stone

I am glad to hear that there is palpable anger out there first and foremost - the apathy amongst us is worrying (I include myself in this).

As for the two Guards - I feel kinda sorry for them as they were probably just following orders. People should be angry at the generals rather than the foot soldiers. I'd imagine many Gardai are just as annoyed by what has happened in recent times.

Nevertheless, this incident is indicative of how society seems to work. The ordinary people just going about their business are subject to, what seems on the face of it, far more policing than the reckless bastards who burned this country down and walked away from the ashes with generous iron-clad pensions and million €uro bonuses.

If half the time and resources spent policing the bottom of the 'food chain' was spent on policing the top then 'we' might not have found ourselves in this mess.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,235 ✭✭✭lugha

I am flabbergasted that so many people in this thread are either willfully, or just through plain stupidity, missing the OP's point.
    I think it is you who are missing the point. The OP alluded to yesterdays Mahon revelations and several posters have pointed out the parallel in thinking between the apparently trivial matter of obstructing a school bus stop and corruption in high office. Which is that individuals take it upon themselves to decide which laws to obey and which ones are optional. Regrettably, there is a complete failure to appreciate that when an “optional laws” culture prevails, it will prevail in high as well as everyday mundane places.
    The AGS has always been a big stick with which to beat little people in Ireland - that's all it's ever been. A bully-boy police force that is great at going after the little guy but utterly cowardly, flacid, impotent when it comes to going after serious criminals.
    Not true. While there are corrupt politicians, they are rarely particularly stupid. And corrupt acts are not in the mode of a bad B movie where a developer hands over a suitcase of money for a particular political favour. Real life corruption is much more subtle with developers “supporting the institutions of democracy” and this is incredibly difficult to establish in a criminal trial, as opposed to a tribunal of enquiry. (Presumably you do know that they are not the same?)

It is not the officers of law that will change the culture that led to what we learned yesterday. It is the people who will desist from electing disreputable politicians (which we don’t do, at all, ever) and who desist from reserving the right to pick and choose what laws we want to obey. But with so many here seemingly seeing nothing amiss with the latter, I won’t be expecting a new honest Ireland to emerge any time soon.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,109 ✭✭✭MaxSteele

How do you know they are hypocrites? Surely unless you can link the person in question to a relaxed attitude towards some crime and a stern attitude towards others you are just pointlessly using two unconnected issues to prove a point and hold something over other posters.

I don't understand why people will use this line of argument so often on the internet when it makes no ****ing sense.

As in some complete scumbag who uses a bad childhood as an excuse, get's off with a slap on the wrist for serious offences. (basically two fingers to the justice system), yet a parent who tries to plead a parking offence over something as trivial as parking over the yellow line for 5 seconds is shown no compassion. Piss on the little guy, brilliant.

lugha wrote: »
    It is not the officers of law that will change the culture that led to what we learned yesterday. It is the people who will desist from electing disreputable politicians (which we don’t do, at all, ever) and who desist from reserving the right to pick and choose what laws we want to obey. But with so many here seemingly seeing nothing amiss with the latter, I won’t be expecting a new honest Ireland to emerge any time soon.

There is also a take home message from the story relayed by the OP, that people want certain things to be followed up and punished by the law and there is a degree of inevitability that those things won't be the ways in which they themselves break the law.
    As in some complete scumbag who uses a bad childhood as an excuse, get's off with a slap on the wrist for serious offences. (basically two fingers to the justice system), yet a parent who tries to plead a parking offence over something as trivial as parking over the yellow line for 5 seconds is shown no compassion. Piss on the little guy, brilliant.

You are still missing my point, for the term you used to have any relevance you need to be talking to someone who supports the excuses of the scumbag but not those of the parents.

Otherwise you are just labeling people as something which has absolutely no merit which normally indicates that you have no valid argument.

In this case it would be a shame, as you do a have a valid point, you are just crippling it by your attempt to be confrontational without someone to be confrontational with.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,897 ✭✭✭MagicSean

Why not just put all 14000 cops on the Berite investigation? That will get the country sorted. Some people are just bat**** stupid.

...yet a parent who tries to plead a parking offence over something as trivial as parking over the yellow line for 5 seconds is shown no compassion. Piss on the little guy, brilliant.

Are you reading the same OP as the rest of us? They had a word with her... AKA "Good morning madam, we've been asked to keep the bus bay clear, we could give you a ticket but just please don't stop here in future.. ok thanks for your help, have a good day"... and went about their business.

WTF do you imagine happened? Judge Dredd roadside execution? No compassion... lol.

Your first example is a decision of a judge on sentancing, your second is a decision of a garda on prosecuting. The two things are not related in the slightest. Its called the seperation of powers and it is a fundamental cornerstone of the democracy Ireland was founded on. It never ceases to amaze me how many people are pure ignorant of how their country works.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,207 ✭✭✭The King of Moo

But until you give examples of such a scumbag, and such a parent getting a ticket (which I'll repeat, doesn't seem to have happened in the case in the OP) all this is imaginary and you're getting angry over nothing.

Even if such hypocrisy does exist, it's still wrong to give out to guards giving the woman a ticket. All laws should be enforced equally. So they're doing their job and they have no say in whether "scumbags" get suspended sentences. They're guards, not judges.

Just because it's unfair if minor crimes are punished while major ones aren't, it doesn't mean that those committing the minor ones should go unpunished. What would be more fair would be if all criminals, big and small, were punished.

..and their solution... I know, let's make the rush hour traffic even worse. What was unfair about it? According to the OP the lady parked her car in the bus zone. Seems straight-forward to me.

They do need to be reminded of them if they break them though.

Have you seen where a lot of these schools are built ?? main roads, village centres, like where the f*** else are they gonna park ?? Everywhere is basically yellow lines. If she was blocking a bus for a period of time, well then yes, fine her.

Blame the idiots who took no concern for proper parking spaces.

There is also a take home message from the story relayed by the OP, that people want certain things to be followed up and punished by the law and there is a degree of inevitability that those things won't be the ways in which they themselves break the law.

People want the law enforced until it is enforced on them. The same parents who abused the Gardaí in the ops story would likely call those very same Gardaí if someone was blocking their driveways.

MagicSean wrote: »
    Why not just put all 14000 cops on the Berite investigation? That will get the country sorted. Some people are just bat**** stupid.

This is the kind of attitude that really stinks.
    Obviously we're not gonna "save the country" if Bertie Ahern or another politician goes to jail. To this point that damage has been done. Every man woman and child will be paying for the damage caused by the people in this report and indeed in general for years to come. If nothing changes (including out attitude to corruption) then whats the point?
    You might as well immigrate to somewhere that takes a far more serious view of these things.
    Putting 14000 cops on a case is just arse and you know it.
    How about expanding the CAB, stick a few more cops and foreinsic accountants in there, and ensure that the laws we have in place are enforced.

• Advertisement

kippy wrote: »
    Obviously we're not gonna "save the country" if Bertie Ahern or another politician goes to jail. To this point that damage has been done. Every man woman and child will be paying for the damage caused by the people in this report and indeed in general for years to come. If nothing changes (including out attitude to corruption) then whats the point?
    You might as well immigrate to somewhere that takes a far more serious view of these things.
    How about expanding the CAB, stick a few more cops and foreinsic accountants in there, and ensure that the laws we have in place are enforced.

You should read my post with a sarcastic tone.

I think he may have been pulling the piss.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,391 ✭✭✭✭mikom

Why not just put all 14000 cops on the Berite investigation?

We can't............... they are gonna be too busy hauling people to court over an unpaid 100 Euro, if Phil Hogan is to be believed.

People want the law enforced until it is enforced on them. The same parents who abused the Gardaí in the ops story would likely call those very same Gardaí if someone was blocking their driveways.

Well the first thing to do is ask the person to kindly move - if it escalates you could call the Gardai.

Those of you who cannot see why people are angry at the moment, and possibly taking it out on the wrong people, seem to have difficulty in seeing why people are angry.

What I dont get is the lack of arrest or follow up investigations for claims of child sex abuse in this country. I really dont understand not prioritising this.

You should read my post with a sarcastic tone.
    I did, and its not the place for sarcasm.

• Advertisement

Your first example is a decision of a judge on sentancing, your second is a decision of a garda on prosecuting. The two things are not related in the slightest. Its called the seperation of powers and it is a fundamental cornerstone of the democracy Ireland was founded on. It never ceases to amaze me how many people are pure ignorant of how their country works.

Of course I know there's separate powers, separate courts for different issues.
    But the fact they bend the rules for criminals and not for genuine people is despicable.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,752 ✭✭✭markesmith

Targeting a Garda isn't really the answer to this. Half of us on this thread are hopeful that protests occur and anger rises...the other half is the very definition of 'meh'.

On the one hand, if we don't do something, it gives the elite the impression that they've got carte blanche to do what they want.

On the other hand, if we do something, we'll be seen as bloody useless dope-smoking hippies who should get a job and stop messing things up.

If ever we needed a leader, the time is now.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 44,080 ✭✭✭✭Micky Dolenz

I don't drop kids to school but I've often been held up in traffic at drop/pick up times. If schools and or local authorites had better plans, conjestion wouldn't occur.

I won't begrudge an under pressure parent double parking for 20 seconds.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 34,418 ✭✭✭✭hondasam

Have you seen where a lot of these schools are built ?? main roads, village centres, like where the f*** else are they gonna park ?? Everywhere is basically yellow lines. If she was blocking a bus for a period of time, well then yes, fine her.

Blame the idiots who took no concern for proper parking spaces.

There has to be somewhere to park, car parks, church car park etc.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,496 ✭✭✭Mr. Presentable

Christ it's hardly bringing the place to a standstill now is it? We all park somewhere illegal for ten seconds, to drop someone off, whether it's your child to school or a friend at the airport. I can't actually fathom how you can compare this to stealing or smuggling. A completely victimless "crime". (I cringed referring to it as a crime btw). If you believe a parent should be made fork out an 80 euro fine to some lardass, prick in blue to fill his weekly notebook for something as miniscule and irrelevent as that, well then I feel for you. :(

As it happens it does. My local school, cars parked both sides of the road, on the corners, across the pedestrian crossing put in for the children, across the entrances to peoples houses. No-one is ever just there "10 seconds", 10 minutes would be typical.

Before Christmas there was an accident in one of the houses facing the school. Neither the fire engine nor the ambulance could get to it. The Gardai cleared the area every day for a few weeks, without issuing tickets, but guess what? The poor mothers just dropping their kids off have resumed normal behaviour, obstructing and abusing the residents.

Victimless, eh?

• Advertisement

I don't drop kids to school but I've often been held up in traffic at drop/pick up times. If schools and or local authorites had better plans, conjestion wouldn't occur.

I would agree but in towns it stops the flow of traffic completely causing major hassle for everyone when there are car parks available but parents will not walk.

You are still missing my point, for the term you used to have any relevance you need to be talking to someone who supports the excuses of the scumbag but not those of the parents.

Otherwise you are just labeling people as something which has absolutely no merit which normally indicates that you have no valid argument.

In this case it would be a shame, as you do a have a valid point, you are just crippling it by your attempt to be confrontational without someone to be confrontational with.

Yes I know. The point I'm trying to make is, why is it ok for people to get away with serious offences for whatever underlying reason, while someone like the parent, who has a genuine excuse is **** on ??

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,116 ✭✭✭starviewadams

Anger of some the moronic public who blame the country's woes on rank and file Gardai is rising,should be the thread title in fairness.

Victimless, eh?

Not only that on the road where I work there's a creche. Now bear in mind this is a long straight road with plenty of space to park on both sides of the road no problems but busy with traffic. Every morning and evening you will see people pulling up and double parking outside the creche, kids hopping out, parents trying to get toddlers rounded up and babies out of car seats etc. It's only a matter of time before someone (parent dropping kid off/child) gets killed outside the creche. All because they won't drive 10 metres further on and park and walk back. I've seen one guy come very close to being pinned between his car and a passing car trying to go around his, he had crawled into the back seat and swung the door open and hopped out backwards just as the car was trying to overtake him.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 44,080 ✭✭✭✭Micky Dolenz

hondasam wrote: »
    I would agree but in towns it stops the flow of traffic completely causing major hassle for everyone when there are car parks available but parents will not walk.

It rains a lot and why turn a 5 minute job into a 20 minute one.

I must say though, sometimes I enjoy glaring at parents who have parked arse ways. Makes me feel gooy inside.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,496 ✭✭✭Mr. Presentable

Yes I know. The point I'm trying to make is, why is it ok for people to get away with serious offences for whatever underlying reason, while someone like the parent, who has a genuine excuse is **** on ??

Ah, so what you are saying is

"Until Seanie Fitz is in jail all other crime should go unpunished"

Are you reading the same OP as the rest of us? They had a word with her... AKA "Good morning madam, we've been asked to keep the bus bay clear, we could give you a ticket but just please don't stop here in future.. ok thanks for your help, have a good day"... and went about their business.

WTF do you imagine happened? Judge Dredd roadside execution? No compassion... lol.

I thought you said we didn't know what happened ?? Were you there ?? I imagine that's what you want believe happened.

It's still not the point though, They know why she is there in the first place, to drop the kids off to school. If that's what actually happened, well then good. It's understandable why those people were pissed off at the same time though.

I have no problems with gaurds telling people not to park illegally, how could I upholding the law is their job. The point some people are missing is that the gaurds should be enforcing small crimes and the more serious crimes and currently their not doing that. If people cant see why people would be angry at this then I pity this society.

Well the first thing to do is ask the person to kindly move - if it escalates you could call the Gardai.

Those of you who cannot see why people are angry at the moment, and possibly taking it out on the wrong people, seem to have difficulty in seeing why people are angry.

i see why people are angry. You will find that most Gardaí are angry too. I just don't think anger is an excuse for stupidity or hurling abuse.
    What I dont get is the lack of arrest or follow up investigations for claims of child sex abuse in this country. I really dont understand not prioritising this.

I've seen plenty of arrest and follow up for sexual offences. You won't see it reported in the papers though. You might be referring to the lack of prosecution, which is a matter for the DPP and is often because of a lack of evidence.

Is this not After Hours?
    But the fact they bend the rules for criminals and not for genuine people is despicable.

Who bends the rules? You are referring to two seperate branches of the criminal justice system.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,235 ✭✭✭lugha

I would agree that schools are not (or perhaps can not be) always very accommodating for parents dropping off their children (though there is a safety issue too if small children can not alight directly from a bus on to the safety of the kerb)

But I think the discussion is more about people’s attitude to laws that don’t suit them and the link some of us see with this and political corruption.

• Advertisement

I thought you said we didn't know what happened ?? Were you there ?? I imagine that's what you want believe happened..

The OP. Read it. They had a word with her and left it. The only mention of a ticket is one of the gardaí had his ticketbook out when the approached but there's no mention of any ticket being given.

It rains a lot and why turn a 5 minute job into a 20 minute one.

I must say though, sometimes I enjoy glaring at parents who have parked arse ways. Makes me feel gooy inside.

A little bit of rain never killed us, kids today don't know how good they have it.
    Any why the hell should I have to sit and wait for 20 minutes because little johnny is lazy. I bet you just ogle the yummy mummy's.:p

Which case are you referring to?? Do you have evidence of child sex abuse. If so you should contact the Gardai immeadiately (deadly serious here). Do you really think the Gardai are sitting idly-by not wanting to prevent and prosecute child sex abusers?

A vague feeling of "people are getting away with it" is not evidence - that goes for the Mahon report and reports in child sex abuse.

i see why people are angry. You will find that most Gardaí are angry too. I just don't think anger is an excuse for stupidity or hurling abuse.

I've seen plenty of arrest and follow up for sexual offences. You won't see it reported in the papers though. You might be referring to the lack of prosecution, which is a matter for the DPP and is often because of a lack of evidence.

Is this not After Hours?

Who bends the rules? You are referring to two seperate branches of the criminal justice system.

You see why people are angry but take the piss out of them. Nice.

As it happens it does. My local school, cars parked both sides of the road, on the corners, across the pedestrian crossing put in for the children, across the entrances to peoples houses. No-one is ever just there "10 seconds", 10 minutes would be typical.

Before Christmas there was an accident in one of the houses facing the school. Neither the fire engine nor the ambulance could get to it. The Gardai cleared the area every day for a few weeks, without issuing tickets, but guess what? The poor mothers just dropping their kids off have resumed normal behaviour, obstructing and abusing the residents.

Victimless, eh?

Well it's the same where I live and that's very unfortunate. The only answer is some sort of parking initiative I guess.

You see why people are angry but take the piss out of them. Nice.

Dam right I see why. Because I have to live from week to week and worry about wether my bank will reject my mortgage direct debit or if my phone bill will get paid. But i have no patience for people who are too stupid to control or direct their anger or to ignorant to know who is actually responsable for the plight.

Is this not After Hours?

No I am referring to the lost files as reported by the cloyne report. I personally know people who reported abuse to stations only to be ignored. For many it was a death sentence. Its well documented.

No I am referring to the lost files as reported by the cloyne report. I personally know people who reported abuse to stations only to be ignored. For many it was a death sentence. Its well documented.

Hopefully lessons have been learned and this will not happen again, we need to move on from past mistakes and work on getting a better police force.

The OP. Read it. They had a word with her and left it. The only mention of a ticket is one of the gardaí had his ticketbook out when the approached but there's no mention of any ticket being given.

You're right, but take the other shouting parents out of the equation and it could have been a different story.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,037 ✭✭✭✭Stark

gremha wrote: »
    As the garda with the book was speaking to the driver. A pedestrian walking their child across the road started shouting at them "You should be arresting corrupt politicians instead of harassing parents dropping their kids to school" Then another on the side where the car was started shouting at them to "Leave the poor woman alone", then another started shouting something I was just out of earshot to hear clearly, all three of them approached the Guards & were shouting at them, the Garda motioned for the woman to go & then they said something to each other & to the two men & woman who had been shouting at them. They then walked away leaving the three bystanders shouting after them to "go after the real crooks".

Ah good old Irish and their attitudes to rules and civic responsibility. Perfectly represented in the types of cute hoors we elect to represent us.

Advertisement