Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Anger of the public is rising

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,473 ✭✭✭✭Super-Rush

hondasam wrote: »
    A little bit of rain never killed us, kids today don't know how good they have it.
    Any why the hell should I have to sit and wait for 20 minutes because little johnny is lazy. I bet you just ogle the yummy mummy's.:p

So you walk your kid to school in the rain.

Kid gets soaked through.

Kid is forced to sit in soaking wek clothes for the rest of the day.

Kid gets sick.

Doctors fees.

Perscription charges.

Sure let him walk.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,933 ✭✭✭Logical Fallacy

MaxSteele wrote: »
    Yes I know. The point I'm trying to make is, why is it ok for people to get away with serious offences for whatever underlying reason, while someone like the parent, who has a genuine excuse is **** on ??

Once again, a flawed point. Not all parents get **** on, as i said earlier in the thread each weekday on my street is literally Russian Roulette with parents dropping kids off to school and driving like loons and parking in stupid places and causes awful traffic problems. So there you have a huge amount of parents who willfully break the law with no comebacks, while you will also have a lot of people who go to jail for their crimes, regardless of their excuses.

Your point is flawed because you are trying to prove a point with it that can't be proven and doesn't need to be proving as you are attempting to establish favour for one side and disgrace for the other.

You are also missing the point that if those parents do break the law, they are then criminals.

The real question is "why do some people get away with breaking the law and others do not" and the answer to that is massively complicated, far less fun to discuss and much harder to swing around to a personal agenda.

Kid gets soaked through.

Kid gets sick.

Doctors fees.

Perscription charges.

Sure let him walk.

Or you could buy them a rain coat.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,037 ✭✭✭✭Stark

Kid gets soaked through.

Kid gets sick.

Doctors fees.

Perscription charges.

Sure let him walk.

The vast majority of times when I see parents dangerously blocking the roads so their kids don't have to walk the 50m, there's not a drop of rain in the sky. Besides, it's not like they never invented raincoats.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,351 ✭✭✭Orando Broom

Kid gets soaked through.

Kid gets sick.

Doctors fees.

Perscription charges.

Sure let him walk.

Buy it a good jacket.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,109 ✭✭✭MaxSteele

Ah, so what you are saying is

"Until Seanie Fitz is in jail all other crime should go unpunished"

Where did I say that ?? I've been hearing this argument all afternoon.

I've been stopped by guards finishing a can on the way to the bus into town on a night out before and they looked the other way. A bit of harmless leeway isn't much to ask really now is it ??

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 872 ✭✭✭Sofa King Great

Kid gets soaked through.

Kid gets sick.

Doctors fees.

Perscription charges.

Sure let him walk.

Or...

Buy raincoat/umbrella.

The end

Once again, a flawed point. Not all parents get **** on, as i said earlier in the thread each weekday on my street is literally Russian Roulette with parents dropping kids off to school and driving like loons and parking in stupid places and causes awful traffic problems. So there you have a huge amount of parents who willfully break the law with no comebacks, while you will also have a lot of people who go to jail for their crimes, regardless of their excuses.

Your point is flawed because you are trying to prove a point with it that can't be proven and doesn't need to be proving as you are attempting to establish favour for one side and disgrace for the other.

You are also missing the point that if those parents do break the law, they are then criminals.

The real question is "why do some people get away with breaking the law and others do not" and the answer to that is massively complicated, far less fun to discuss and much harder to swing around to a personal agenda.

Or you could buy them a rain coat.
    Stark wrote: »
    The vast majority of times when I see parents dangerously blocking the roads so their kids don't have to walk the 50m, there's not a drop of rain in the sky. Besides, it's not like they never invented raincoats.
    Buy it a good jacket.

I've often walked home in the rain wearing a coat.

Didn't stop my feet or legs getting soaked.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,678 ✭✭✭I Heart Internet

MaxSteele wrote: »
    Where did I say that ?? I've been hearing this argument all afternoon.

I've been stopped by guards finishing a can on the way to the bus into town on a night out plenty of times and they looked the other way. A bit of harmless leeway isn't much to ask really now is it ??

Yes. Leeway is sensible policing BUT it doesn't mean people are encouraged to break the law.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 34,418 ✭✭✭✭hondasam

Kid gets soaked through.

Kid gets sick.

Doctors fees.

Perscription charges.

Sure let him walk.

No point in wrapping them in cotton wool, parking the car and letting them walk for a few minutes will do them no harm.
    I bet you had to walk to get a bus to school, not all buses can park outside the school there is some walking involved.
    There is always wet gear and they can change in school.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,208 ✭✭✭keithclancy

Well, not walking anywhere causes Obesity, which is harder to cure than a cold.

• Advertisement

I bet your kid is a right pansy

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,682 ✭✭✭✭Galwayguy35

Kid gets soaked through.

Kid gets sick.

Doctors fees.

Perscription charges.

Sure let him walk.

I walked to school every day. Thats what coats are for, to keep us dry. Most of the kids where i went to school walked but i guess we were made of sterner stuff than the kids these days who have to be nearly driven into the classroom in case they get a drop of rain.

Wellies, I loved jumping in the puddles. great fun it was.

The only time it's rained so heavily on me that I was soaked to the pants was when we had the flash flooding a few months ago. You're picking exceptional weather conditions to try and make your point. The vast majority of days, the rain is not an excuse.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,041 ✭✭✭cocoshovel

I noticed a huge amount of the public get angry at everything and just seem to walk around finding anything and everything in their way to get annoyed over. Quite sad how these people dont even realize the misery they make their own lives.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,497 ✭✭✭billybudd

prinz wrote: »
    Ignorant fools should my their own business and let the gardaí do their jobs.

Like investigating corrrupt goverment officials.

Like ridding deprived areas of drug dealers.

Like protecting old age pensioners the same way they protect and give notice to scum bag drug dealers if their life is in danger.

Like rid inner city center of junkies who threaten and rob people on a hourly basis.

Yes they should be let do their job alright.

But your right they should be left to hide behind walls to catch monsterous parents dropping kids off or hiding behind walls or pillars with speed cameras.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,674 ✭✭✭Dangerous Man

lugha wrote: »
    I think it is you who are missing the point. The OP alluded to yesterdays Mahon revelations and several posters have pointed out the parallel in thinking between the apparently trivial matter of obstructing a school bus stop and corruption in high office. Which is that individuals take it upon themselves to decide which laws to obey and which ones are optional. Regrettably, there is a complete failure to appreciate that when an “optional laws” culture prevails, it will prevail in high as well as everyday mundane places.

Not true. While there are corrupt politicians, they are rarely particularly stupid. And corrupt acts are not in the mode of a bad B movie where a developer hands over a suitcase of money for a particular political favour. Real life corruption is much more subtle with developers “supporting the institutions of democracy” and this is incredibly difficult to establish in a criminal trial, as opposed to a tribunal of enquiry. (Presumably you do know that they are not the same?)

It is not the officers of law that will change the culture that led to what we learned yesterday. It is the people who will desist from electing disreputable politicians (which we don’t do, at all, ever) and who desist from reserving the right to pick and choose what laws we want to obey. But with so many here seemingly seeing nothing amiss with the latter, I won’t be expecting a new honest Ireland to emerge any time soon.

They are missing the point and so are you. The point of the OP's story is that anger is rising in the general population. People are getting pissed off and he saw a manifestation of this anger when people took issue with members of AGS 'just doing their job.'

The pedants then took over this thread, decrying the treatment of the poor guards, cribbing about parking and other petty little gripes.

The country stands, right now at what is probably the most important juncture since the start of the civil war. The last twenty years were truly extraordinary in the history of our country. We saw the rise of massive levels of wealth, greed, inequality, as well as the rise of a culture of political corruption from which the country is still reeling.

The publication of this report lays bare what we all knew all along but did nothing about. We continued to elect, and re-elect charlatans, cheats, and crooks. We turned a blind eye to corruption because some pothole got fixed in some parish in Tipp, or in Cork, or Leitrim or Dublin.

Those who are charged to prevent political corruption - the police - stood by and did nothing. This is stated quite clearly in Mahon's findings.

What this report represents is the high watermark of Irish patience; it represents the point at which we must push back and finally scream until our voices are broken – 'NO MORE!' It can, if we're willing, if we care enough about our country and our fellow Irishmen and Irishwomen, be a catalyst for real change.

The publication of this report will stand as a cultural artifact of intense symbolism for generations to come. It will be studied in Irish history classrooms by our descendants. Of that, there is no doubt. It is up to all of us how it will be viewed - as a missed opportunity, or as the founding document of the New Republic. History is being written right now and we will be judged on our actions.

This is what we're facing. That's the point.

No point in wrapping them in cotton wool, parking the car and letting them walk for a few minutes will do them no harm.
    I bet you had to walk to get a bus to school, not all buses can park outside the school there is some walking involved.
    There is always wet gear and they can change in school.

When i went to school the bus picked me up outside the gate and dropped me off inside the school grounds. Probably had to walk about 20 metres in total.

My brother goes to a different school than the one i went to, and if i didn't drop him off outside the school gates and parked somewhere up the town, he would have to walk at the very least half a mile to get to there.

The majority of the time there wouldn't be a space in the town and he could have to walk over a mile and a half sometimes. Part of the journey would also see him have to walk on the road itself as there are no footpaths on some of the journey.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,207 ✭✭✭The King of Moo

billybudd wrote: »

Like protecting old age pensioners the same way they protect and give notice to scum bag drug dealers if their life is in danger.

Like rid inner city center of junkies who threaten and rob people on a hourly basis.

But your right they should be left to hide behind walls to catch monsterous parents dropping kids off or hiding behind walls or pillars with speed cameras.

It's not up to ordinary guards on patrol to do all of those things, so it's not like they chose to ignore all of those issues in order to bully a mother instead.

I bet your kid is a right pansy

Don't have kids actually.

• Advertisement

How are any of those things the job of the Traffic Corps?

They are missing the point and so are you. The point of the OP's story is that anger is rising in the general population. People are getting pissed off and he saw a manifestation of this anger when people took issue with members of AGS 'just doing their job.'

The pedants then took over this thread, decrying the treatment of the poor guards, cribbing about parking and other petty little gripes.

The country stands, right now at what is probably the most important juncture since the start of the civil war. The last twenty years were truly extraordinary in the history of our country. We saw the rise of massive levels of wealth, greed, inequality, as well as the rise of a culture of political corruption from which the country is still reeling.

The publication of this report lays bare what we all knew all along but did nothing about. We continued to elect, and re-elect charlatans, cheats, and crooks. We turned a blind eye to corruption because some pothole got fixed in some parish in Tipp, or in Cork, or Leitrim or Dublin.

Those who are charged to prevent political corruption - the police - stood by and did nothing. This is stated quite clearly in Mahon's findings.

What this report represents is the high watermark of Irish patience; it represents the point at which we must push back and finally scream until our voices are broken – 'NO MORE!' It can, if we're willing, if we care enough about our country and our fellow Irishmen and Irishwomen, be a catalyst for real change.

The publication of this report will stand as a cultural artifact of intense symbolism for generations to come. It will be studied in Irish history classrooms by our descendants. Of that, there is no doubt. It is up to all of us how it will be viewed - as a missed opportunity, or as the founding document of the New Republic. History is being written right now and we will be judged on our actions.

This is what we're facing. That's the point.

And if people direct their understandable anger at ordinary guards doing their job, they're we're not going to make any progress.

That's what most of the "pedants" are saying. Anger is only useful if it's properly directed.

When i went to school the bus picked me up outside the gate and dropped me off inside the school grounds. Probably had to walk about 20 metres in total.

My brother goes to a different school than the one i went to, and if i didn't drop him off outside the school gates and parked somewhere up the town, he would have to walk at the very least half a mile to get to there.

The majority of the time there wouldn't be a space in the town and he could have to walk over a mile and a half sometimes. Part of the journey would also see him have to walk on the road itself as there are no footpaths on some of the journey.

That's fine but there is no excuse for parents when there is parking available beside the school or a short distance away.
    You have to admit some parents are just lazy and some parents are in a rush to get to work as well I understand this.
    Some kids have it easier than others, that's life.

It's not up to ordinary guards on patrol to do all of those things, so it's not like they chose to ignore all of those issues in order to bully a mother instead.

I was speaking in general terms and obviously they are doing as ordered, whover issues the orders are the ones who need to grasp reality, again i will state start local to change things, if front line guards, nurses etc have to much flac they will demand the powers who be to change.

Or be a good little human and say nothing.

For this to hold weight you assume that all Gardai are charged with doing the exact same job, which they are not. There are indeed Gardai investigating the crimes you mentioned. However it does not take away from the fact that another remit of the gardai is keeping traffic flowing and to detect road traffic offences.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,109 ✭✭✭MaxSteele

It's the same where I live too. I'm not encouraging law breaking or trying to disgrace the Garda. As I said earlier, I was stopped by the guards drinking a can on the way to the bus for a night out, but they let me be (after i emptied the can). As "I Heart Internet" said, leeway is sensible policing, which I think should be applied to situations like these, not just automatic fines etc.

For this to hold weight you assume that all Gardai are charged with doing the exact same job, which they are not. There are indeed Gardai investigating the crimes you mentioned. However it does not take away from the fact that another remit of the gardai is keeping traffic flowing and to detect road traffic offences.

Surely you mean revenue merchants.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,598 ✭✭✭✭prinz

Nah first they should refuse to police Croke Park and the surrounding streets. I mean what a waste of resources, standing at the top of Clonliffe rerouting traffic.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,477 ✭✭✭Hootanany

Only good Guard is a Mud Guard

• Advertisement

That's fine but there is no excuse for parents when there is parking available beside the school or a short distance away.
    You have to admit some parents are just lazy and some parents are in a rush to get to work as well I understand this.
    Some kids have it easier than others, that's life.

I couldn't agree with you more.

Proper parking facilities should be provided at schools or a shuttle bus service provided from a central location.

A lot of the congestion is caused by parents parking up and walking their kids to the door rather than just dropping them off. Theres no need for that.

I was speaking in general terms and obviously they are doing as ordered, whover issues the orders are the ones who need to grasp reality, again i will state start local to change things, if front line guards, nurses etc have to much flac they will demand the powers who be to change.

Or be a good little human and say nothing.

About what? Major corruption and other high-profile crimes?

What's the point in shouting to traffic cops about that?

Do you think they're going to make a note of the complaints and pass them along the chain of command?

I'd imagine they'd just get mad at the idiots shouting at them about issues they've no control over.

Getting angry is fine, but you have to get angry at the right people.

Maybe you just grew up in a sheltered area where acts of crime where not daily and did not intimidate many young and elderly folks and to this day still do without proper garda assistance.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,897 ✭✭✭MagicSean

Maybe you just grew up in a sheltered area where acts of crime where not daily and did not intimidate many young and elderly folks and to this day still do without proper garda assistance.

Maybe you grew up in a sheltered world where people don't get killed by cars.

We could disband the Traffic Corps and move all the gardaí assigned to other duties but then you'll be complaining about all the deaths on the road as a result.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,962 ✭✭✭✭dark crystal

A little bit of rain never killed us, kids today don't know how good they have it.
    Any why the hell should I have to sit and wait for 20 minutes because little johnny is lazy.

Or instead of waiting 20 minutes in an idling car, you could walk yourself. A little bit of rain never killed us, after all.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 38,247 ✭✭✭✭Guy:Incognito

Ghandee wrote: »
    Even if the job in question was issuing a ticket of some sort to a mother dropping her child off at school?

The mind boggles some times?

What the inference of "mother" dropping her kids to school? Are mothers exempt from parking laws ? does a vortex exist around them that stops their ignorant behaviour affecting others? Or are they poor helpless women who have to drive right to the school gates lest they faint in the mornign sun from the exhaustion of haveing to walk a few yards?
    I walked to school every day. Thats what coats are for, to keep us dry. Most of the kids where i went to school walked but i guess we were made of sterner stuff than the kids these days who have to be nearly driven into the classroom in case they get a drop of rain.

Seems rain was only invented in the last 10 years or so. If was like the Sahara in Ireland when we grew up sure.
    I couldn't agree with you more.

Proper parking facilities should be provided at schools or a shuttle bus service provided from a central location.

A lot of the congestion is caused by parents parking up and walking their kids to the door rather than just dropping them off. Theres no need for that.

M son goes to school on the old Nangor road in Clondalkin. Directly across from the school is the 2nd of 2 cars parks in the community centre. Does this mean there isnt an ignorant parent problem at the school? Does it ****. The school have had to arrange with the local station to have a Gard come up every day at collection times to keep order. Peopel are ignorant ***** who only care about themsleves.
    Theres a couple of grands worth of Garda time over the year diverted to having to stop adults behaving like children in one school alone.

I'd just like to point out that in a thread with lots of people giving out about the unfairness of guards giving parking tickets to mothers dropping kids off to school, there hasn't been a single case provided of such a thing actually happening.

Or instead of waiting 20 minutes in an idling car, you could walk yourself. A little bit of rain never killed us, after all.

You are absolutely right and I walk three miles every day even in the rain but when I'm going to work and my place of work is 50 miles away I need my car.
    While I have sympathy for parents it is annoying for the rest of the public who are trying to get to work.

MagicSean wrote: »
    Maybe you grew up in a sheltered world where people don't get killed by cars.

I did, joyriders.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,598 ✭✭✭✭prinz

I did, joyriders.

Now there's a group of people who obeyed the rules of the road bless their little cottons.

M son goes to school on the old Nangor road in Clondalkin. Directly across from the school is the 2nd of 2 cars parks in the community centre. Does this mean there isnt an ignorant parent problem at the school? Does it ****. The school have had to arrange with the local station to have a Gard come up every day at collection times to keep order. Peopel are ignorant ***** who only care about themsleves.

Not everyone has 2 car parks opposite their kids school. In many areas, schools are built on busy main roads, without any proper parking nearby.

Not all parents are ignorant and selfish for wanting to get their kids to the school gates safely.

• Registered Users Posts: 861 ✭✭✭tails_naf

AEDIC wrote: »
    People would want to make up their minds.... either you want the Gardai doing thier jobs or you dont...

I think most people want them doing the difficult part of the jobs where serious crime is involved, and not the 'shooting fish in a barrel' part of the job.

Not everyone has 2 car parks opposite their kids school. In many areas, schools are built on busy main roads, without any proper parking nearby.

Not all parents are ignorant and selfish for wanting to get their kids to the school gates safely.

Not all parents are but for some parents it has nothing to do with safety for their children and everything to do with themselves being lazy. These are usually the last minute arrivals.

tails_naf wrote: »
    I think most people want them doing the difficult part of the jobs where serious crime is involved, and not the 'shooting fish in a barrel' part of the job.

I'd hope most people want them tackling all levels of crime.

I'd hope most people want them tackling all levels of crime.

Yes the criminal mastermind that is the parent dropping off kids to school.

I was using the one example in the one school I visit.

Are you saying theres absolutely no alternative to driving right to the gates of the school and stoppign illegally? Is your childs school on the M50 or something?

I doubt theres a school in the country that doesnt have somewhere within walking distance to park without doign it illegally while walking a child to school or letting them walk themselves.
    tails_naf wrote: »

If people policed themselve sproperly and acted like adults there would be no scope for any "shooting fish in a barrel". It may come as a surprise but when you break a law, your make that decision yourself, no one is forcing you.
    Yes the criminal mastermind that is the parent dropping off kids to school.

Whatever drug dealign that is goign on in my area hasnt inputted on my life at all up to this point. I am however regularly inconvenienced by ignorant parents in their cars. If the Gardai can sort that out then it'll be 2 things not impacting my life. Win win for me because I wont end up getting a fine for either and can go about my business as normal.

You are absolutely right and I walk three miles every day even in the rain but when I'm going to work and my place of work is 50 miles away I need my car.
    While I have sympathy for parents it is annoying for the rest of the public who are trying to get to work.

I understand those frustrations completely, but for many of those parents, they're just trying to get to work on time also.

Many of the local schools here are on busy main roads, with no parking provisions at all and no school bus system in place.
    It's a planning problem that seems to be prevelant to many school districts as far as I can see. Often, there is a lollipop lady marching children to and fro across the main roads, which doesn't help the traffic jams either, but it's a necessary evil when a school is situated in such a precarious location.

Even as a parent, I love it during the school holidays when the roads are free of traffic and you can leave the house 15 minutes later than usual!

I understand those frustrations completely, but for many of those parents, they're just trying to get to work on time also.

Many of the local schools here are on busy main roads, with no parking provisions at all and no school bus system in place.
    It's a planning problem that seems to be prevelant to many school districts as far as I can see. Often, there is a lollipop lady marching children to and fro across the main roads, which doesn't help the traffic jams either, but it's a necessary evil when a school is situated in such a precarious location.

Even as a parent, I love it during the school holidays when the roads are free of traffic and you can leave the house 15 minutes later than usual!

Spot on.

Whats more of a issue is people grooming themselves and delaying movement by 2 or more minutes because their face which wont improve is stuck looking in the mirror.

Maybe they should build schools in greenfield sites out away from peoples homes and businesses? Which would be more inconvenient for people?

• Advertisement
Advertisement