Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Anger of the public is rising

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 52,495 ✭✭✭✭tayto lover

I am glad to hear that there is palpable anger out there first and foremost - the apathy amongst us is worrying (I include myself in this).

As for the two Guards - I feel kinda sorry for them as they were probably just following orders. People should be angry at the generals rather than the foot soldiers. I'd imagine many Gardai are just as annoyed by what has happened in recent times.

Nevertheless, this incident is indicative of how society seems to work. The ordinary people just going about their business are subject to, what seems on the face of it, far more policing than the reckless bastards who burned this country down and walked away from the ashes with generous iron-clad pensions and million €uro bonuses.

If half the time and resources spent policing the bottom of the 'food chain' was spent on policing the top then 'we' might not have found ourselves in this mess.

While you have the Govt promoting their "own" men to be the Commissioners of the Garda Siochana then we have no chance of policing the top notchers.
    The situation as it stands now is wide open to corruption. Imagine you had Ray Burke as Minister for Justice not too long ago. A fox guarding the henhouse.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,497 ✭✭✭billybudd

I was using the one example in the one school I visit.

Are you saying theres absolutely no alternative to driving right to the gates of the school and stoppign illegally? Is your childs school on the M50 or something?

I doubt theres a school in the country that doesnt have somewhere within walking distance to park without doign it illegally while walking a child to school or letting them walk themselves.

If people policed themselve sproperly and acted like adults there would be no scope for any "shooting fish in a barrel". It may come as a surprise but when you break a law, your make that decision yourself, no one is forcing you.

Whatever drug dealign that is goign on in my area hasnt inputted on my life at all up to this point. I am however regularly inconvenienced by ignorant parents in their cars. If the Gardai can sort that out then it'll be 2 things not impacting my life. Win win for me because I wont end up getting a fine for either and can go about my business as normal.

Well lets hope it stays that way, plenty of people thought and felt like this until it did affect them, sadly their mindframe has changed now.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 482 ✭✭Jim_Kiy

More Lithium in the water supply is the solution.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 38,247 ✭✭✭✭Guy:Incognito

billybudd wrote: »
    Well lets hope it stays that way, plenty of people thought and felt like this until it did affect them, sadly their mindframe has changed now.

Bottom line is the Gards are supposed to enforce all laws. The people dont get to pick and choose to suit themselves. If we decide that everyone that commits a crime has to be left alone when someone else is commiting a bigger crime then we'll end up with 10,000 Gards following about 30 people around.

You do something wrong and get punished, it's YOUR fault, not the fault of the person that catches you. Either stop doign things wrong or stop whinging when your caught.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,235 ✭✭✭lugha

They are missing the point and so are you. The point of the OP's story is that anger is rising in the general population. People are getting pissed off and he saw a manifestation of this anger when people took issue with members of AGS 'just doing their job.'

The pedants then took over this thread, decrying the treatment of the poor guards, cribbing about parking and other petty little gripes.

The country stands, right now at what is probably the most important juncture since the start of the civil war. The last twenty years were truly extraordinary in the history of our country. We saw the rise of massive levels of wealth, greed, inequality, as well as the rise of a culture of political corruption from which the country is still reeling.

The publication of this report lays bare what we all knew all along but did nothing about. We continued to elect, and re-elect charlatans, cheats, and crooks. We turned a blind eye to corruption because some pothole got fixed in some parish in Tipp, or in Cork, or Leitrim or Dublin.

Those who are charged to prevent political corruption - the police - stood by and did nothing. This is stated quite clearly in Mahon's findings.

What this report represents is the high watermark of Irish patience; it represents the point at which we must push back and finally scream until our voices are broken – 'NO MORE!' It can, if we're willing, if we care enough about our country and our fellow Irishmen and Irishwomen, be a catalyst for real change.

The publication of this report will stand as a cultural artifact of intense symbolism for generations to come. It will be studied in Irish history classrooms by our descendants. Of that, there is no doubt. It is up to all of us how it will be viewed - as a missed opportunity, or as the founding document of the New Republic. History is being written right now and we will be judged on our actions.

This is what we're facing. That's the point.
    A police force, nor anyone else, can prevent political corruption. The way it is conducted in practice means it is very difficult to uncover it because specific political donations are not linked to specific political favours. Did you read the second portion of my post that you quoted above? Do you really think proving corruption is anything other than extraordinarily difficult?

I have no expectation that the Gardai will combat corruption, not because of an unwillingness on there behalf, but because they have almost no chance of succeeding.

Ahern, Flynn and last year, Lowry all have in effect denied the findings of the various tribunals. And why wouldn’t they? They know full well that bar a fortuitous stroke of luck, a la say Jonathon Aiken in the UK, a criminal prosecution against them will almost certainly fail.

So what can we do? Possibly some tinkering with the law to diminish incentives to be corrupt might have some little effect. But there are two things we the people could do that would make a real difference.

We can refuse to elect people with low standard to high office. We have never done this.

And we can adopt a proper respect for the laws of the land, an attitude that you obey the rules because society has agreed these rules, and not pick and choose which rules you think are worthy of respecting.

If the man in his teens cheerfully downloads illegally not because it is wrong because but he knows he is unlikely to get caught, and in his twenties parks illegally or breaks the speed limit, again because he knows he is unlikely to get caught, and in his thirties saves a tidy some on his first house by paying “cash in hand” then why would you expect the councillor in his 40s to suddenly acquire a new moral framework when the brown envelope is pushed across his desk? And it certainly is extremely unlikely that he will get caught!

You think this will be a catalyst for real change? The anecdote relayed by the OP suggests nothing of the sort to me. For me it betrays a hypocrisy, albeit, unwittingly, in our thinking. Others should obey all the laws, I will take the a la carte approach.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,962 ✭✭✭✭dark crystal

Maybe they should build schools in greenfield sites out away from peoples homes and businesses? Which would be more inconvenient for people?

No, I think they should simply plan ahead for the inevitable increase in traffic flow when building new schools and choose areas which allow for the increased volume accordingly. Perhaps build nearby car parks, pedestrian crossings and a proper school bus system would really come in handy.

Common sense, really.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,336 ✭✭✭wendell borton

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,717 ✭✭✭Raging_Ninja

hopefully. weve been too passive for far too long

Oh for crying out loud. One party was demolished and another wiped out in the last round of elections. The General election before that, the PDs ceased to exist.

'Passive'? We do things where it counts, in the ballot box. Looting, burning and destroying peoples' livelihoods won't get us anywhere.

No, I think they should simply plan ahead for the inevitable increase in traffic flow when building new schools and choose areas which allow for the increased volume accordingly. Perhaps build nearby car parks, pedestrian crossings and a proper school bus system would really come in handy.

Common sense, really.

A lot of schools are where they are since there were very few cars. Others have had to be shoehorned in to ares when the need arises. The perfect solution isnt available as often as people like to think.

I'll reiterate my point though. I doubt there are any, or very many at least that are completely cut off from any parking option within walkign distance.

The fact is though, people dont want to spend 10 minutes walking their kids to school because they would have to leave the house earlier. In most cases it boils down to ignorance and/or selfishness.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,336 ✭✭✭wendell borton

TBH I'd rather they left the whole lot where it was. Spending €250m + to find out if some politicians took a few grand is ****ing stupid imo. Especially when they were all at it. Seems all the parties were sat around the same table takign from the same envelope. http://www.independent.ie/national-news/mahon-tribunal/mitchell-among-councillors-who-took-payments-olivia-mitchell-in-the-dail-this-week-the-tribunal-found-she-accepted-500-from-frank-dunlop-3059393.html

Is Enda going to expell Olivia Mitchell from the party?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,061 ✭✭✭benway

Seems all the parties were sat around the same table takign from the same envelope.

Ah here. That makes it all ok, does it?
    The point of the OP's story is that anger is rising in the general population.

+1

I don't think the real issue here is the wherefores and whys of getting your kids to school.

There's a simmering resentment of all manifestations of the establishment, including the Gardaí off the back of everything that's happened, and justifiably so.

Dear DPP, Garda Commissioner and Minister Shatter,

You can expect lots more of this unless you're seen to come down hard on corruption, wherever you find it. Expecting to see some results soon.

Thanks in anticipation.

Regards,
    b

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,239 ✭✭✭✭KeithAFC

This just disappointments me. These hard working police officers get nothing but abuse from the general public. I think it is about time some respect was shown towards the police in the Irish Republic.

They do a good job in hard circumstances in a country which is in a mess and needs massive repairs done to it. The last thing these brave people need is folk shouting abuse at them.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,962 ✭✭✭✭dark crystal

A lot of schools are where they are since there were very few cars. Others have had to be shoehorned in to areas when the need arises. The perfect solution isnt available as often as people like to think.

Very true - this is hardly the fault of the parent dropping off their kids, though. Many times, they have no choice but to double park or park on double yellows to get their child to the school gate safely.
    The fact is though, people dont want to spend 10 minutes walking their kids to school because they would have to leave the house earlier. In most cases it boils down to ignorance and/or selfishness.

In some cases, perhaps you're right, but in most cases the parents are just simply making sure their kids get into school safely, whilst trying to get themselves to work on time. I don't think they're being ignorant or selfish, but I doubt I'm likely to change your mind on that one ;)

Oh for crying out loud. One party was demolished and another wiped out in the last round of elections. The General election before that, the PDs ceased to exist.

'Passive'? We do things where it counts, in the ballot box. Looting, burning and destroying peoples' livelihoods won't get us anywhere.
    Because of a crashing economy, not because of corruption. I cannot recall a single instance of any political figure in modern Irish political life who was punished for conduct unbecoming. Quite the opposite in fact.

• Advertisement

lugha wrote: »
    Because of a crashing economy, not because of corruption.

The crashing economy was a direct result of corruption.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 34,418 ✭✭✭✭hondasam

KeithAFC wrote: »
    This just disappointments me. These hard working police officers get nothing but abuse from the general public. I think it is about time some respect was shown towards the police in the Irish Republic.

They do a good job in hard circumstances in a country which is in a mess and needs massive repairs done to it. The last thing these brave people need is folk shouting abuse at them.

LOL keith you sound so sincere I would nearly believe you. :pac:

Very true - this is hardly the fault of the parent dropping off their kids, though. Many times, they have no choice but to double park or park on double yellows to get their child to the school gate safely.

They always have a choice. The point is the choice they have might put them out a bit. The fact that not every parent in the schools behave in an ignorant or selfish manner proves its possible.

benway wrote: »
    Even if that were true it was still because of the economy stupid! (not you! :pac:), not corruption.

Had FG won the 07 election (and we all heartily thank Eoghan Harris that they did not) they would now be the political outcasts of Irish politics and FF, IMO, would be forming single party governments for a generation.

It is rarely appreciated how close FF came to getting away with it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,679 ✭✭✭Freddie59

gremha wrote: »
    This morning I was dropping my kid off to school, it's on a busy road & there's a bus stop right outside the main gate (which always struck me as a dangerous place to put it, but I didn't plan it), indented off the road..

Sometimes parents pull up in the bus stop, drop their kids & drive straight off again, no more than a 30-60 second exercise.

This morning there were two Gardai at the bus stop, standing back from it, behind a high wall.

A car pulled up & the door opened, a child aged about ten kissed it's mother (assume it was it's mother) & was getting out of the car when the two Gardai stepped out. One had his notebook/ticketbook out already & the other walked around the back of the car, I guess inspecting it. The child got out & stood on the path watching.

As the garda with the book was speaking to the driver. A pedestrian walking their child across the road started shouting at them "You should be arresting corrupt politicians instead of harassing parents dropping their kids to school" Then another on the side where the car was started shouting at them to "Leave the poor woman alone", then another started shouting something I was just out of earshot to hear clearly, all three of them approached the Guards & were shouting at them, the Garda motioned for the woman to go & then they said something to each other & to the two men & woman who had been shouting at them. They then walked away leaving the three bystanders shouting after them to "go after the real crooks".

No it surprised me as it was a spontaneous act which could have ended up badly for all the civilians involved, but it did demonstrate the anger of the public at recent events.

I know there's a couple of demonstrations & protests coming up, if this was anything to go by, We're probably going to see a large turnout & quite angry mobs.

We have two friends who live on the same street as a school. It is absolute chaos three or four times daily, with those picking up or dropping off children having little or no concern for the people living on the street. One elderly lady was this week prevented from leaving her home all day by a motorist who parked the majority of his/her car on the footpath, blocking her pedestrian access. This lady uses a walking frame.

The Gardai were called and tickets were issued. And rightly so. This has sweet FA to do with corrupt politicians. It has everything to do with parents who literally are too lazy to park safely and walk to the school with their children.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 980 ✭✭✭stevedublin

:eek::confused:
    Explain please?

Leave early. Park a safe distance away. And walk the few bloody yards to the school.
    In some cases, perhaps you're right, but in most cases the parents are just simply making sure their kids get into school safely, whilst trying to get themselves to work on time. I don't think they're being ignorant or selfish, but I doubt I'm likely to change your mind on that one ;)

They ARE both ignorant and selfish, with contempt for the safety of their own children and others, along with other motorists. No two ways about it.

Even if that were true it was still because of the economy stupid! (not you! :pac:), not corruption.

Had FG won the 07 election (and we all heartily thank Eoghan Harris that they did not) they would now be the political outcasts of Irish politics and FF, IMO, would be forming single party governments for a generation.

It is rarely appreciated how close FF came to getting away with it.

It is true. The nexus of corruption between Fianna Fáil, the banks and the developers, along with the easy money supply and light touch regulation in the financial services sector, facilitated by Fianna Fáil and their ideological wing, the PDs, created a perfect storm of sh!t that engulfed this country.

Corruption was tolerated in this country up until the mid-80s because people were largely uneducated, and pressed under the thumb of the Church and the little Ireland establishment, including both major parties. People weren't alive to the possible damage that corruption could do.

This is no longer the case. People have the education to understand what's happened here, and the confidence to take a stand. Even if some of these same people were happy to ride the Celtic Tiger wave and not ask too many questions, we all must now realise that there's a lesson in this - corruption cannot be tolerated any longer.

The point isn't to attack Fianna Fáil, Fine Gael, Labour, the Sinners or even the bloodyfúckin' PDs.

The point is that corruption is a cancer, that needs to be rooted out and killed with fire wherever it manifests itself, in whatever party, at whatever level.

It is true. The nexus of corruption between Fianna Fáil, the banks and the developers, along with the easy money supply and light touch regulation in the financial services sector, facilitated by Fianna Fáil and their ideological wing, the PDs, created a perfect storm of sh!t that engulfed this country.

Corruption was tolerated in this country up until the mid-80s because people were largely uneducated, and pressed under the thumb of the Church and the little Ireland establishment, including both major parties. People weren't alive to the possible damage that corruption could do.

This is no longer the case. People have the education to understand what's happened here, and the confidence to take a stand. Even if some of these same people were happy to ride the Celtic Tiger wave and not ask too many questions, we all must now realise that there's a lesson in this - corruption cannot be tolerated any longer.

The point isn't to attack Fianna Fáil, Fine Gael, Labour, the Sinners or even the bloodyfúckin' PDs.

The point is that corruption is a cancer, that needs to be rooted out and killed with fire wherever it manifests itself, in whatever party, at whatever level.

Presumably when it happened in other countries it was due to the same things? OR are we just special?

Like THIS Keith?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,916 ✭✭✭✭iguana

Driving through red lights, overtaking dangerously and using mobile phones whilst driving can seriously impede other drivers safety and could cause possible fatalities. I wouldn't equate that with parking outside a school gate to drop off a child.

She parked in the bus stop. Something which is dangerous and selfish and she absolutely should have gotten a ticket for it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,668 ✭✭✭nlgbbbblth

:eek::confused:
    Explain please?

Corruption became the accepted way of doing business in this country - the Government served the greed of business, rather than trying to strike a balance and implement a sustainable economic model. Corruption, gombeenism and cute hoorism permeated the government, the developers and the banks.

One small example. December 2008, I met a guy working in Anglo, think it was the Friday of the week the story of Seán Fitz lending himself massive amounts of money came out. Direct quote:

"Seán was more than entitled to look after himself, sure wasn't Charlie at it?"

This has to stop.
    Presumably when it happened in other countries it was due to the same things? OR are we just special?

We're unique, we have our own particular set of circumstances. Obviously.

But the situation in the US certainly isn't dissimilar, nor in Greece, or Italy. Allowing corruption to become endemic can only lead to disaster.

Places like Germany and Scandanavia where things are generally straighter, don't seem to have fared out as badly, funny enough.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,239 ✭✭✭✭KeithAFC

Freddie59 wrote: »
    Like THIS Keith?
    What has that got to do with the Garda. Please lets keep this on topic to some degree. I don't see anyone debating about that incident in history.

Well it is beside the point but I don’t agree. I don’t think corruption was a necessary ingredient in the whole unsavoury mix. Our problems are substantially a consequence of cheap money, light regulation and mismanagement / gambling by the government. Had there being no corruption at all (in the sense of developers "supporting the institutions of democracy") I doubt if we would be noticeably better off now.
    There is no evidence that we have ceased to tolerate corruption. Can you cite a single politician who lost his seat for reasons which can be unequivocally attributed to corruption?

• Advertisement

Well it is beside the point but I don’t agree. I don’t think corruption was a necessary ingredient in the whole unsavoury mix. Our problems are substantially a consequence of cheap money, light regulation and mismanagement / gambling by the government. Had there being no corruption at all (in the sense of developers "supporting the institutions of democracy") I doubt if we would be noticeably better off now.

It certainly didn't help. The government stoked the housing bubble, they were too close to the developers - who exactly manned the FF tent at Galway other than property players?

It wasn't the fact that the developers achieved privileged status or access by paying off Fianna Fáil, it was the fact that the quid pro quo was the rules actively being bent in favour of the construction and property sector. That sector alone brought down this country. Draw your own conclusions.
    There is no evidence that we have ceased to tolerate corruption. Can you cite a single politician who lost his seat for reasons which can be unequivocally attributed to corruption?

Seán Gallagher lost the Presidential election because of the whiff of FF corruption and cute hoorism off him.

I would take the degree of public anger as evidence, also. We've clearly seen that corruption the default mode of business in politics in this country for far too long, and we've clearly seen the damage done. This has to end.

I honestly think that Mahon is a turning point, I just hope that I'm right.

It wasn't the fact that the developers achieved privileged status or access by paying off Fianna Fáil, it was the fact that the quid pro quo was the rules actively being bent in favour of the construction and property sector. That sector alone brought down this country. Draw your own conclusions.

This is often said but I don’t think it is the case. The environment may have been very friendly for developers but it wasn’t rendered so primarily for their benefit. The FF led governments were raking in shed loads of money from property related taxes which in effect kept them in power. Had their been open warfare between the construction industry and the government the latter surely would have done very little differently. They were the big political winners of the property bubble.
    Seán Gallagher lost the Presidential election because of the whiff of FF corruption and cute hoorism off him.

I don’t think there was anything corrupt in what Sean Gallagher was doing (despite the many suggestions to the contrary). Collecting money for a political party is not corrupt. It was perceived to be corrupt, largely and simply (and worryingly!) because of the reference to the word “envelope”
    I would take the degree of public anger as evidence.

Again, I say the anger is because of the economic consequences. I don’t think FF were substantially worse or more corrupt in their final administration than they were in their first two. Where was the concern in ’97 or ’02 or even ’07? I heard Michael Clifford say last night that he simply could not get Bertie’s dealing on to the political agenda in ’07. Nobody wanted to know! Because we were booming (or thought we were).

It really is, always has been, and always will be (so far I see no evidence to the contrary) about the economy.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,525 ✭✭✭tigger123

What have scenes from Belfast got to do with the Gardaí?

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 4,290 ✭✭✭mickydoomsux

It certainly didn't help. The government stoked the housing bubble, they were too close to the developers - who exactly manned the FF tent at Galway other than property players?

Who were the idiots who bought into it?

Who were the idiots queuing at dawn to buy an apartment off the plans in a field in Meath for 350k on a wage of 30k p.a working for a suitcase-multinational?

Who were the idiots that repeatedly re-installed FF to power because they did us favours and they brought the fruits of the "boom" to all of us?

Where were all the angry folk back then?

The entire nation had its head in the trough. Don't act like politicians, bankers and developers were the only cause of this mess. There's far more of us than there is of them and we were willing participants in the lie that was "The Celtic Tiger".

• Closed Accounts Posts: 34,418 ✭✭✭✭hondasam

I don’t think there was anything corrupt in what Sean Gallagher was doing (despite the many suggestions to the contrary). Collecting money for a political party is not corrupt. It was perceived to be corrupt, largely and simply (and worryingly!) because of the reference to the word “envelope”

If anything he was naive and not prepared for how dirty politics gets,it was unfortunate what happened but it did not stop him winning.

What has that got to do with the Garda. Please lets keep this on topic to some degree. I don't see anyone debating about that incident in history.

You raised the issue about the Gardai having a tough job. Just like those soldiers. Who were being abused by Loyalist Fascists. Who were abusing LITTLE CHILDREN. And you term it an "incident in history". Says it all about your mentality really.

Who were the idiots who bought into it?

Who were the idiots queuing at dawn to buy an apartment off the plans in a field in Meath for 350k on a wage of 30k p.a working for a suitcase-multinational?

Who were the idiots that repeatedly re-installed FF to power because they did us favours and they brought the fruits of the "boom" to all of us?

Where were all the angry folk back then?

The entire nation had its head in the trough. Don't act like politicians, bankers and developers were the only cause of this mess. There's far more of us than there is of them and we were willing participants in the lie that was "The Celtic Tiger".

Two words: reckless lending.

If the money wasn't there to be borrowed...........

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,065 ✭✭✭Fighting Irish

MaxSteele wrote: »
    By ticketing parents (who probably have work and more important things to be doing) pulling over for ten seconds to drop their kids off to school ??

Great logic and use of Garda resources right there.

Sure fook it, we'll allow all females to park on double yellows as well, sure the guards have corrupt politicians to arrest!!!!!111

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,183 ✭✭✭dvpower

The lending was reckless but the borrowing wasn't?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,281 ✭✭✭donegal_road

I wonder what the Gardaí actually must think when someone shouts 'go after the real criminals!'

who are the first people that they think of?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13 Loopylady12

iguana wrote: »
    Driving through red lights, overtaking dangerously and using mobile phones whilst driving can seriously impede other drivers safety and could cause possible fatalities. I wouldn't equate that with parking outside a school gate to drop off a child.

She parked in the bus stop. Something which is dangerous and selfish and she absolutely should have gotten a ticket for it.

I recently heard at our local primary school a child was knocked down by someone who was parked illegally outside pulling away from the school. There was a pedestrian crossing just beside where it happened. So i would imagine this is why the Gardai were at this school - they may have had a complaint and were asked to investigate people parking at the bus stop and therefore in a hurry and driving off without paying attention, which may lead to or probably already has led to accidents with lots of people around.
    Most if the time Gardai will only be present for something like this outside schools when asked to investigate after a previous incident. They are there after all to keep your children safe, not to p***people off on purpose!!

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 4,290 ✭✭✭mickydoomsux

For reckless lending to work you need to have someone recklessly borrowing.

The fact that people even still use it as an excuse shows how idiotically unaware people are of their shared culpability in our current financial situation.

People weren't being press-ganged off the streets into banks and building societies to take out mortgages. No one made you keep up with the O'Haras by buying a new car every year on credit after you returned from your third holiday of the year, also on credit, bedecked in your designer clothing bought with (you guessed it) credit.

Not everyone did this kind of thing but a hell of a lot of people did and we need to stop acting like children and blaming everyone else for being irresponsible and corrupt when we were just as bad.

If the boom had continued the Mahon tribunal finding would be used to show how much of a loveable rogue "our Bertie" was. People don't give a damn about corruption and waste when they think things are going swimmingly for the majority. Everyone turns into a tireless campaigner for "social justice" when things get a little bit tight.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 328 ✭✭BlueSmoker

gremha wrote: »
    This morning I was dropping my kid off to school, it's on a busy road & there's a bus stop right outside the main gate (which always struck me as a dangerous place to put it, but I didn't plan it), indented off the road..

Sometimes parents pull up in the bus stop, drop their kids & drive straight off again, no more than a 30-60 second exercise.

This morning there were two Gardai at the bus stop, standing back from it, behind a high wall.

A car pulled up & the door opened, a child aged about ten kissed it's mother (assume it was it's mother) & was getting out of the car when the two Gardai stepped out. One had his notebook/ticketbook out already & the other walked around the back of the car, I guess inspecting it. The child got out & stood on the path watching.

As the garda with the book was speaking to the driver. A pedestrian walking their child across the road started shouting at them "You should be arresting corrupt politicians instead of harassing parents dropping their kids to school" Then another on the side where the car was started shouting at them to "Leave the poor woman alone", then another started shouting something I was just out of earshot to hear clearly, all three of them approached the Guards & were shouting at them, the Garda motioned for the woman to go & then they said something to each other & to the two men & woman who had been shouting at them. They then walked away leaving the three bystanders shouting after them to "go after the real crooks".

No it surprised me as it was a spontaneous act which could have ended up badly for all the civilians involved, but it did demonstrate the anger of the public at recent events.

I know there's a couple of demonstrations & protests coming up, if this was anything to go by, We're probably going to see a large turnout & quite angry mobs.

OP and it has being possibly mentioned before, but it not exactly rebellion yet, but more that most of Irelands people are now starting to sing from the same hymn sheet. eg not blame each other because of the jobs (or lack of them) we hold solidity against the government, this means we can effect change, rather than being affected by it. I hope it continues :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 34,788 ✭✭✭✭krudler

I wonder what the Gardaí actually must think when someone shouts 'go after the real criminals!'

who are the first people that they think of?

people with no tv licence and slightly out of date car tax, the true criminals

• Registered Users Posts: 137 ✭✭The Lone Ranger

Having read all these posts I can only come to one conclusion.

Our Country is F$%ked and there is no one to blame but OURSELVES

:(

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 6,084 ✭✭✭oppenheimer1

Thats the Gardai doing a job and its the only job i see Gardai doing these days. If you are mugged robbed broken into. You Wont get back what was stolen. They wont protect you from getting a punch, they wont catch who did it and no investigation will be done.

I dont blame the garda but i would blame who is running them. They will go were the money is.

There a police force, not your own personal bodyguards ffs:rolleyes:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,084 ✭✭✭oppenheimer1

BlueSmoker wrote: »
    OP and it has being possibly mentioned before, but it not exactly rebellion yet, but more that most of Irelands people are now starting to sing from the same hymn sheet. eg not blame each other because of the jobs (or lack of them) we hold solidity against the government, this means we can effect change, rather than being affected by it. I hope it continues :)

And they say boards.ie isn't subversive?

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 12,506 Mod ✭✭✭✭byhookorbycrook

Tens seconds illegally parked, eh?Is it ok to park in the disabled bay because it's only for ten seconds too??If it is illegal, it's illegal, no matter how long/short people park for.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,306 ✭✭✭sonic85

this is how i feel sometimes. from 0:55 on

• Registered Users Posts: 127 ✭✭Jane Eyre

Pissed off with all the whinging and the anger. In Italy, they've just been slapped with a €3000 property charge.
    I reckon that there's a load of people who can well afford the €100 household charge, but are jumping on the bandwagon. Bertie and Cowen fooked the country. Not a lot we can do about that.
    If you can afford it, count yourself lucky, put your hand in your pocket and try and help the others.

• Advertisement
Advertisement