Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Anger of the public is rising

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 27,564 ✭✭✭✭steddyeddy

Which case are you referring to??

Hey I heart internet sorry for the late reply just back from work. Yes I am referring to several cases of child sex abuse particularly by church officials. More troubling to me are the incidents of claimed sex abuse that werent considered cases at all. This report details the grim reality of priorities.

http://www.irishtimes.com/newspaper/opinion/2012/0203/1224311174966.html
    it found that record-keeping was so poor that up to 65 per cent of sex crimes against children were not officially noted. Many were not recorded as criminal offences.
    Do you have evidence of child sex abuse. If so you should contact the Gardai immeadiately (deadly serious here).

Oh so am I deadly serious. Im not a vicitim of sexual abuse thankfully but I knew people who were and reported it to the gaurds who didnt seem to take it seriously. I dont know anyone being abused currently If I did I would have a serious problem of wheter to trust the gaurds or some other state body.
    Do you really think the Gardai are sitting idly-by not wanting to prevent and prosecute child sex abusers?

How many priests were arrested on at least suspiscion of abuse? My answer based on report and knowledge is yes definatly. Not the new recruits but some of the older recruits dont think of sexual abuse as a serious crime

A vague feeling of "people are getting away with it" is not evidence - that goes for the Mahon report and reports in child sex abuse.

Having known people abused by church members and seeing testimonies from victims of abuse I wouldnt call it vague. So in relation to public anger yes I certainly am very angry but again there is no sense of priorities in this country.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,306 ✭✭✭sonic85

Jane Eyre wrote: »
    Pissed off with all the whinging and the anger. In Italy, they've just been slapped with a €3000 property charge.
    I reckon that there's a load of people who can well afford the €100 household charge, but are jumping on the bandwagon. Bertie and Cowen fooked the country. Not a lot we can do about that.
    If you can afford it, count yourself lucky, put your hand in your pocket and try and help the others.

pissed off with whinging yet you log on and post here to whinge yourself? nice. if it annoys you that much you best steer clear of boards

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22,559 ✭✭✭✭AnonoBoy

I wonder what the Gardaí actually must think when someone shouts 'go after the real criminals!'

who are the first people that they think of?

Junkies.
    Then Bertie.
    Then people who litter.
    Then the rest of Fianna Fail.
    Then double-parkers.

Also I'd like to say that anyone who shouts at the Gardai that they should 'catch the real criminals' while they themselves are breaking the law are f*cking morons.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,533 ✭✭✭don ramo

i think the garda should be more visible around schools and be putting our taxes to good use, no reason you couldnt place a cop outside each school for half an hour before and after to keep the traffic flowing and the kids safe,

this incident in particular should be handled on an ongoing basis, the fact the mother pulled up at the bus stop would indicate she used her head and pulled the car safely in off the road so her child could safely exit the car, it is by no means a reason to give someone a ticket,

but people who pull their cars up on the main road stopping all traffic behind them have no consideration, for others or their children, you should always safely pull your car to one side of the road ensureing your child can make a safe exit from the car and ensuring you can pull your car out again without interfering with any of the safety items present at the school that are there to ensure your children get there and back to you safely,

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 64 ✭✭breanach

prinz wrote: »
    Ignorant fools should my their own business and let the gardaí do their jobs.

what a stupid statment this is typical crap, they have every right to say what they think to the gardai, and they're right to tell them to go and actually do something that is of benifit.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,194 ✭✭✭saa

Meh that kid most likely could of walked to school I have no sympathy.

:pac:

don ramo wrote: »
    i think the garda should be more visible around schools and be putting our taxes to good use, no reason you couldnt place a cop outside each school for half an hour before and after to keep the traffic flowing and the kids safe,

this incident in particular should be handled on an ongoing basis, the fact the mother pulled up at the bus stop would indicate she used her head and pulled the car safely in off the road so her child could safely exit the car, it is by no means a reason to give someone a ticket,

but people who pull their cars up on the main road stopping all traffic behind them have no consideration, for others or their children, you should always safely pull your car to one side of the road ensureing your child can make a safe exit from the car and ensuring you can pull your car out again without interfering with any of the safety items present at the school that are there to ensure your children get there and back to you safely,

I like most have no problem with the garda taking people up any laws but some laws are more essential for society to funciton than others. The same zeal has to be applied to the big laws.

breanach wrote: »
    what a stupid statment this is typical crap, they have every right to say what they think to the gardai, and they're right to tell them to go and actually do something that is of benifit.

LET'S ALL SHOUT AT THE GARDAI BECAUSE WE HAVE NO UNDERSTANDING OF HOW THE WORLD WORKS!!!!!

You really have a handle on life so you do. I bet you're a real cutting-edge go-getter who understands the ins and outs of political life. You're there with the decision makers in the cut and thrust of modern life.

Yup. That's you.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,207 ✭✭✭The King of Moo

What would you have liked these traffic patrol Gardaí to have done instead of having a talk with a woman parked at a bus stop?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,037 ✭✭✭✭Stark

Lads, I've got a great idea. Let's all go shout abuse at petrol station attendants in protest at rising fuel prices.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,329 ✭✭✭jetsonx

prinz wrote: »
    Ignorant fools should my their own business and let the gardaí do their jobs.

Corrupt politicians, property developers and bankers love people like Prinz. They love people who stoically put their head down and shut-up, while they proceed to rape the country for their own good.

Prinz -When you kids grow up (if you have any), what will you say to them? The country was getting raped and you turned your head the other way to live your own selfish little life. It's no surprise the country is f@cked with the likes of you around.

Stark wrote: »
    Lads, I've got a great idea. Let's all go shout abuse at petrol station attendants in protest at rising fuel prices.

I regularly abuse the continuity announcers on TV3 about the poor standard of their programming.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 25,069 ✭✭✭✭My name is URL

yeah.. so there

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,828 ✭✭✭unklerosco

Why can't we all just sit at home, drink some tea and watch the country crumble around us... Wait.. I don't drink tea

jetsonx wrote: »
    Corrupt politicians, property developers and bankers love people like Prinz. They love people who stoically put their head down and shut-up, while they proceed to rape the country for their own good.

Prinz -When you kids grow up (if you have any), what will you say to them? The country was getting raped and you turned your head the other way to live your own selfish little life. It's no surprise the country is f@cked with the likes of you around.

How is telling your kids "I shouted at some guards in the street once" going to impress them?

Someone parking where they shouldn't in front of a school and then passersby shouting at the Gardai for telling them not to has exactly what to do with political corruption?

If anything the Gardai being sticklers for rules is exactly what we NEED in this country.

Only stupid morons think that the Gardai enforcing traffic laws somehow is stopping a criminal case being taken against politicians named in the Mahon Tribunal.

In fact I'd wager the slobbering idiots who shouted at the Gardai in this case didn't even know that the Mahon Tribunal was underway until this week.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,037 ✭✭✭✭Stark

The Gardaí have their own problems to deal with as a result of the financial crisis: negative equity, paycuts, promotion freezes etc. They don't need "fight the power" dicks who lack the brains to protest or take action in a meaningful way making their lives even more difficult by dishing about abuse as they go about their jobs.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,329 ✭✭✭jetsonx

AnonoBoy wrote: »
    If anything the Gardai being sticklers for rules is exactly what we NEED in this country.

Oh, yes sticklers for rules for the small people.

But, don't forget what happened to Tom Gilmartin when he went to report fraud to the Gardai.

http://www.irishexaminer.com/ireland/gardai-failed-to-probe-allegations-thoroughly-188078.html

Oh, yes sticklers for rules for the small people.

But, don't forget what happened to Tom Gilmartin when he went to report fraud to the Gardai.

http://www.irishexaminer.com/ireland/gardai-failed-to-probe-allegations-thoroughly-188078.html

That's totally not what this thread is about. But well done for not being able to recognise that.

In your world SUV Moms shouting at law enforcers will somehow make this country a better place? How's that work?

I'd love to live in your brain for a day - it must be a magical world of pixie dust and LSD.

Instead of actually reforming the political and law enforcement systems you'd prefer that morons just shout at the ground-level Gardai on the street because that will fix things..... how exactly?

You should run for political office. In this country you'd probably get elected with such a well thought-out mandate as yours!

• Advertisement

LET'S ALL SHOUT AT THE GARDAI BECAUSE WE HAVE NO UNDERSTANDING OF HOW THE WORLD WORKS!!!!!

if that what you get off on go right ahead!

You really have a handle on life so you do. I bet you're a real cutting-edge go-getter who understands the ins and outs of political life. You're there with the decision makers in the cut and thrust of modern life.

Yup. That's you.

Great rant :eek: but totally meaning less well done.

if that what you get off on go right ahead!

Yup. That's you.

Great rant :eek: but totally meaning less well done.

Well since you think people shouting at the Gardai over parking irregularities is somehow relevant to the political state of the country and you can't use the QUOTE function here I'm going to just put you over here in the pile marked 'Opinion doesn't matter as poster has never and will never do anything of any significance with their lives ever'.

:)

ejmaztec wrote: »
    The Guards just wanted to check the kids' lunchboxes for doughnuts.

What would you have liked these traffic patrol Gardaí to have done instead of having a talk with a woman parked at a bus stop?

lets be serious for one min here, i dont have a issue with the traffic police doing the job they do but for christ sake outside a school pulling people over when all they are doing is dropping off their kids?

This stuff happens in every town in everycity in this country.

How about they get in the car and catch a someone driving over the speed limit in a area that kids are plying in ?this is what i call good use or gardai!

Yes. Surely with their time those Gardai could have stopped an international terrorist cell. Or stopped planning corruption in 1990's Ireland. Or prevented someone fraudulently applying for the dole.

Why they no do their job?

lets be serious for one min here, i dont have a issue with the traffic police doing the job they do but for christ sake outside a school pulling people over when all they are doing is dropping off their kids?

This stuff happens in every town in everycity in this country.

How about they get in the car and catch a someone driving over the speed limit in a area that kids are plying in ?this is what i call good use or gardai!

And as has been pointed out by a few posters with first-hand experience already, it causes serious problems with traffic congestion and dangers to the public.

So I think they were absolutely right to have a chat with this woman, without giving her a ticket.
    That's what I really don't get: they didn't give her a ticket, just spoke to her briefly, so what exactly are people getting angry about?

• Advertisement

That's what I really don't get: they didn't give her a ticket, just spoke to her briefly, so what exactly are people getting angry about?

I believe people get angry at this sort of thing as some sort of latent reaction to their own f*cking stupidity.

If you pay close attention you will see that a person's intelligence is inversely proportional to the amount of vocal abuse they will give a Garda in public for doing their job correctly.

Yes. Surely with their time those Gardai could have stopped an international terrorist cell. Or stopped planning corruption in 1990's Ireland. Or prevented someone fraudulently applying for the dole.

Why they no do their job?

As stated before no problem with traffic offenses being policed (thats why their called offenses) but why not tackle the bigger crimes aswell. Aswell being the magic word there. I want to know why they are not tackling the major crimes which our country is internationally famous for?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 212 ✭✭realgirl

steddyeddy wrote: »
    I like most have no problem with the garda taking people up any laws but some laws are more essential for society to funciton than others. The same zeal has to be applied to the big laws.

It seems that it was a bit of a one off that the guards were there at all and they left after being yelled at apparently without issuing a ticket - I wouldn't call this zeal

As stated before no problem with traffic offenses being policed (thats why their called offenses) but why not tackle the bigger crimes aswell. Aswell being the magic word there. I want to know why they are not tackling the major crimes which our country is internationally famous for?

Yes. I agree. However while these Gardai were attending to these offenses a group of morons starting shouting at them. How is that helping? Were they supposed to advice people on correct traffic procedures and somehow at the same time be tracking down and investigating the complicated matter of planning corruption?

realgirl wrote: »
    It seems that it was a bit of a one off that the guards were there at all and they left after being yelled at apparently without issuing a ticket - I wouldn't call this zeal

Either way am I wrong to think that zeal could not be applied to the bigger crimes our country is now famous for?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,682 ✭✭✭✭Galwayguy35

And how do you know that they're not tackling these crimes?

Yes. I agree. However while these Gardai were attending to these offenses a group of morons starting shouting at them. How is that helping? Were they supposed to advice people on correct traffic procedures and somehow at the same time be tracking down and investigating the complicated matter of planning corruption?

Its not helping I agree. Its not these rank and file gaurds that have any say over chasing the big criminals.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,299 ✭✭✭✭later12

And how do you know that they're not tackling these crimes?

In fairness a High Court Judge (Peter Kelly) has criticised the investigation into Anglo for having been unduly slow to date. I guess the perception of Garda reluctance to act appropriately has been re-inforced by this week's Mahon report, which essentially found that Gardai did not take official complaints against politicians seriously enough in the circumstances under investigation.

So claims that the Gardai are slow off the mark on white collar crime are not completely without justification.

later12 wrote: »
    So claims that the Gardai are slow off the mark on white collar crime are not completely without justification.

Indeed. But how is shouting at members of the Gardai on the street solving this?

Well since you think people shouting at the Gardai over parking irregularities is somehow relevant to the political state of the country and you can't use the QUOTE function here I'm going to just put you over here in the pile marked 'Opinion doesn't matter as poster has never and will never do anything of any significance with their lives ever'.

Ha ha your a nut case for sure 13,000 posts and GET A LIFE!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,643 ✭✭✭Father Damo

gremha wrote: »

As the garda with the book was speaking to the driver. A pedestrian walking their child across the road started shouting at them "You should be arresting corrupt politicians instead of harassing parents dropping their kids to school" Then another on the side where the car was started shouting at them to "Leave the poor woman alone", then another started shouting something I was just out of earshot to hear clearly, all three of them approached the Guards & were shouting at them, the Garda motioned for the woman to go & then they said something to each other & to the two men & woman who had been shouting at them. They then walked away leaving the three bystanders shouting after them to "go after the real crooks".

Aye.

These two cops should go straight around to Berties and arrest him immediately.

Sod all that business of needing a court issued arrest warrant. In fact, they should just shoot him on the spot.

Honest to christ, some people. For all your talk of law and order due legal process doesnt seem to be high on your agenda. A few hundred grand worth of dodgy payments in the early 90s has absoloutely nothing to do with our current economic predicament. People seem to be confusing a few bribes 20 years ago with the near collapse of the economy.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,682 ✭✭✭✭Galwayguy35

later12 wrote: »
    In fairness a High Court Judge (Peter Kelly) has criticised the investigation into Anglo for having been unduly slow to date. I guess the perception of Garda reluctance to act appropriately has been re-inforced by this week's Mahon report, which essentially found that Gardai did not take official complaints against politicians seriously enough in the circumstances under investigation.

Yes it could be seen to be slow all right but I don't think it's fair to say that nothing is being done at all in regards to these cases. And it's certainly not cool having a bunch of people shouting abuse at the Gardai who are just doing their jobs. Some people want to see speeders caught but don't say anything to the mammy parking where she shouldn't.

Yup. That's what I expected.

When your argument is shown to be folly you resort to personal abuse.

Typical.

No ability to actually back up your argument whatsoever which only goes to further strengthen my points.

And as has been pointed out by a few posters with first-hand experience already, it causes serious problems with traffic congestion and dangers to the public.

So I think they were absolutely right to have a chat with this woman, without giving her a ticket.

KING OF THE MOO i agree with you that if what they were doing is for the safety of the kids coming and going to school well ok then.

KING OF THE MOO i agree with you that if what they were doing is for the safety of the kids coming and going to school well ok then.

That's what they were doing.

So how does this tally with corrupt politicians at all?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 44,080 ✭✭✭✭Micky Dolenz

Mod

Bait at your own risk. do it again and you'll be banned along, with your red.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 69 ✭✭Big Johnson

The Gardaí should of went over to these protestors and told them to shut the f*ck up and mind their own f*cking business!

Typical.

No ability to actually back up your argument whatsoever which only goes to further strengthen my points.

QUOTE function here I'm going to just put you over here in the pile marked 'Opinion doesn't matter as poster has never and will never do anything of any significance with their lives ever'.

maybe you should read your posts before you make a statement.

ring any bells hypocrite

your words and the start your little rants!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,073 ✭✭✭Pottler

The Gardaí should of went over to these protestors and told them to shut the f*ck up and mind their own f*cking business!
    No, the Gardai ought to grow a pair and go hassle actual criminals. I live near a major drug dealer and it pi55es me off no end to see the Gards laughing and joking with him like he's a jolly good lad even when his scumbag sidekicks are racing trotter horses up and down the main road in front of them. Try driving past with no tax and they are after you like a hot snot.

[/U]

QUOTE function here I'm going to just put you over here in the pile marked 'Opinion doesn't matter as poster has never and will never do anything of any significance with their lives ever'.

maybe you should read your posts before you make a statement.

ring any bells hypocrite

your words and the start your little rants!

Your ability to use the quote function is matched only by your ability to construct an intelligible sentence I see.

Typical.

This would be other staement you made which started the personal stuff

This would be other staement you made which started the personal stuff

Merely assertations on my behalf. If you think being a go-getter counts as abuse then that's really not my issue but rather yours.

Your ability to use the quote function is matched only by your ability to construct an intelligible sentence I see.

indeed im sure the time you spend on yout pc 13000 posts is time well spend and it couldnt be spent doing something that may reflect you in a maner that may be deemed acceptable to people?

indeed im sure the time you spend on yout pc 13000 posts is time well spend and it couldnt be spent doing something that may reflect you in a maner that may be deemed acceptable to people?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 44,080 ✭✭✭✭Micky Dolenz

MOD

well done lads, both banned.

Advertisement