Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Anger of the public is rising

123457»

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,125 ✭✭✭westendgirlie

I like the idea of a Garda presence at school drop off/pick up times. Passing cars will slow to a safe speed. Parents could drop their kids off further away from the school and said kids could safely walk from there.

This is how I would like a portion of my tax to be spent.

The Gardai on patrol that morning were never going to give that woman a ticket. Chat to her, yeah. Ticket, no. I am sure they would of chatted about why they were there, the current state of the countries affairs, where their own kids went to school to anyone that approached them.

If only the parents shouting the abuse had thought before they spoke.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 212 ✭✭realgirl

steddyeddy wrote: »
    realgirl wrote: »
    It seems that it was a bit of a one off that the guards were there at all and they left after being yelled at apparently without issuing a ticket - I wouldn't call this zeal

Either way am I wrong to think that zeal could not be applied to the bigger crimes our country is now famous for?

You were saying they should apply the SAME zeal to the bigger crimes as they were to that mum outside the school. My point is that it didn't look like there was much zeal in that case and so if the SAME zeal was applied to bigger crimes, it wouldn't amount to much. Of course I agree that the big crimes should be tackled effectively.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,410 ✭✭✭old_aussie

gremha wrote: »
    We're probably going to see a large turnout & quite angry mobs.

Will there be free beer?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 38 ieoinu

The logic being spouted here by some is idiotic to say the least. In response to the OP, it is obvious going by the description of event it was obviously a planned exercise targeting parking outside the school. The lady in question parked in the bus space to leave her kids out. This is grand when there's no bus but when the bus does come and the space is taken the bus has to park elsewhere, possibly in a place that is not as safe or double park thus creating a risk for the kids that have to get off.

Granted parking in a bus space is hardly the most serious of offences but you can see the difficulty when its multiplied by the heavy traffic of the school run. We all see the parents that nearly want some sort of drive thru system like mc donalds to drop off their kids and just abandon all regard ofr everyone else when they ditch their car outside the school gate. If you have to park a distance from the school get out and walk your child to the gates. If you don't have time, get up earlier. I would expect that the Garda's presence was in response to complaints being made by the school/bus company or as a result of general traffic disruption. It is not as some would like to believe a Garda subbing their income by robbing a poor mother of her purse as she brings her kids to school.

As for Bertie et al, there isn't a Garda in the country that wouldn't like to bring anyone that did anything dodgey that brought about this national misery (Gardaí are suffering too). Saying that they are getting away with it cos of the Garda being down on the easy target is crap to say the least. If a child was knocked down due to bad parking etc what view would the rabbling crowd have then??

• Closed Accounts Posts: 98 ✭✭gremha

Wow, so many replies.

OP here. The driver did not receive a ticket, I believe because the Gardai at the time considered the mood of the people around them.

They've been back since still hiding behind the wall, but I haven't seen them ticket everyone.

My intention in posting wasn't to criticise the Gardai (although I believe hiding behind a wall is underhand), I'm very supportive of them, it was instead to highlight the mood of the general public.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 9,496 ✭✭✭Mr. Presentable

Jane Eyre wrote: »
    . Bertie and Cowen fooked the country. Not a lot we can do about that.
    If you can afford it, count yourself lucky, put your hand in your pocket and try and help the others.

Hi Jane. Did Bertie and Cowen also "fook" Greece, Spain, Portugal, Iceland, Italy........? They must have been busy boys, eh?

• Registered Users Posts: 75 ✭✭legallyblonde86

MaxSteele wrote: »
    It has nothing to do with being nanny state? :confused:

When parents are being unfairly enforced like that in rush hour traffic, that's what I call a nanny state. They dont need to be told the rules, they already know them.

Many court cases take "exception" to the defendants circumstances for breaking the law."I had a bad upbringing, alcoholic father, junkie parents blah blah blah" and are let off the hook on some bull**** compassionate grounds. Yet you or the guards can't take exception to a law abiding citizen trying to get their kid to school by crossing the yellow line for a few seconds ?

Hypocrites.

But the judge makes that decision in court, not the guards. I was burgled a few years ago, the guy was arrested and in court the guard gave all the evidence and his solicitor stood up and made him out to be the victim. The judge gave him probation. I was fuming and I felt sorry for the guard for all the work he had put in and then the criminal walks out of court laughng at me and the guards because a solicitor lied in court! The guard even apologised for me because that arsehole had been let go!!!
    We're getting angry at the wrong people here. It's the people in charge who delegate the jobs out.
    Don't get me started on the courts and overpaid solicitors and judges!
    How someone can be lodged in prison for not paying a small fine is disgraceful when a prolific burglar can walk free!!!

Let the person who failed to pay the fine do some community service and stop filling the prisons with them!! Then lock up the dangerous pricks!!!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,861 ✭✭✭IrishEyes19

you got to love it. Without fail, theres a thread always here about how the Gardai dont do their job they are paid to do, and then a week later, complaining because they do they job. make your minds up people or move. :rolleyes:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 974 ✭✭✭BarackPyjama

But the judge makes that decision in court, not the guards. I was burgled a few years ago, the guy was arrested and in court the guard gave all the evidence and his solicitor stood up and made him out to be the victim. The judge gave him probation. I was fuming and I felt sorry for the guard for all the work he had put in and then the criminal walks out of court laughng at me and the guards because a solicitor lied in court! The guard even apologised for me because that arsehole had been let go!!!
    We're getting angry at the wrong people here. It's the people in charge who delegate the jobs out.
    Don't get me started on the courts and overpaid solicitors and judges!
    How someone can be lodged in prison for not paying a small fine is disgraceful when a prolific burglar can walk free!!!

Let the person who failed to pay the fine do some community service and stop filling the prisons with them!! Then lock up the dangerous pricks!!!!

Let those who create fear walk the streets. Keep those who need to be controlled (and taxed) in perpetual fear. Our government's been learning a lot from the Americans the last few years!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,328 ✭✭✭✭Potential-Monke

The Gardai are probably there due to a high number of complaints from motorists and residents due to the idiotic parking that happens around schools (that is not a generalisation, it's fact, and not every parent does it but most probably do). If that is what they have been told to do, that is what they have to do. And if they're "hiding", it's probably because if they stand out in plain sight nobody will double park/use the bus stop, and when the Gardai aren't there everyone will start doing it again. By issueing a few tickets maybe the point will get across and people will stop using their cars as traffic cones.

As for the people saying the Gardai should be out there catching the hard criminals, they are. But it's not a simple case of "I heard you're dealing", arrest, court, jail. Most of these people who see the dealing happening, or know that such and such are doing robberies/burglaries, they either didn't actually see it happen (which is then hearsay, not admissible in court), or they don't have the stones to make a statement.

Gardai have to cover every law, and not pick and choose. People see most traffic related matters as not serious, and it's the Gardas word against the offender. Whereas nearly every other offence there is a huge amount of proof required before the case can even get to court. People really should attend court to see exactly what manages to make it through to a conviction (especially drink driving cases, you think that'd be straight forward!).

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 16,096 ✭✭✭✭the groutch

Well done to those Gardai, parents like this need to get down off their high-horses and realise that just because they have kids doesnt put them above the law.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,037 ✭✭✭Nothingbetter2d

I like the idea of a Garda presence at school drop off/pick up times. Passing cars will slow to a safe speed. Parents could drop their kids off further away from the school and said kids could safely walk from there.

that could actually be achieved with those volunteer gardai. that way its no extra cost to the tax payer

• Closed Accounts Posts: 98 ✭✭gremha

Once again, I'd like to point out that I have no issue with the GS. I think they do a fantastic job & are vastly under resourced & disrespected. GS/Nurses/Teachers (good ones) all deserve to be paid more for what they do.

Advertisement