Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

dog neuturing vouchers

• 23-03-2012 3:19pm
    Registered Users Posts: 252 ✭✭

Does anyone know if any vets in Trim/Navan etc area have any vouchers left for the half price neutering, just discovered my dog has an undecended testical which will increase the cost, could do with the help of the discount. Tried Trim and Athboy. Cant leave this too long in case it turns into something more serious. When I adopted dog, he was vet checked and there was no mention of this problem, it was only when I took him for his second vacination that this was discovered.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,000 ✭✭✭andreac

Are you unemployed or in receipt of Social Welfasre payments at present?

• Registered Users Posts: 252 ✭✭alanajane

Yup on social security

• Registered Users Posts: 252 ✭✭alanajane

when I adopted dog I was aware of costs involved, but didnt expect half price vouchers to run out so quickly, and wasnt aware of missing testicle....want to do my best for what is such a lovely doggie that is a joy to have around

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,000 ✭✭✭andreac

Have you rang around the vets in the area? That is really the only way to find out.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 974 ✭✭✭paultf

When you say vouchers do you mean the Dog Trust ones? They would go very quickly. Have Dog Trust reduced the number available?

Another option is your nearest SPCA. I know with the WSPCA if one is on social welfare they would pay 45% while the owner pays the rest. Again there not as many of these available as in previous years. Do all SPCAs provide this service?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,600 ✭✭✭Cutie18Ireland

Not all spcas have the funds to help with neutering.

Dogs trust vouchers go very fast there was only 25 in my vets and they are a huge practice.

The blue cross run a scheme in dublin details here

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,949 ✭✭✭Cherry Blossom

OP this is not a simple neutering operation tbh it will is necessary surgery for a health problem. It is not something I would be shopping around for the cheapest price for either, I would go with your own vet or someone highly recommended for the procedure. I would doubt very much if any voucher scheme would extend to this. Insurance on the other hand might, assuming you have insurance I would have a chat with your vet first and insurance company second. The main aim here is not neutering the dog, its an exploratory operation to located an undecended testicle that is at risk of becoming cancerous, you may also need to pay for a scan to locate it.

Whether insurance will cover it may well depended on whether or not they decide it's a pre existing condition, this might be viewed two ways - it was a definite thing that was going to happen from birth or it could not have been diagnosed before the dog reached a certain age therefore not considered pre-existing. If I were you I would definitely look into from an insurance angle.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,901 ✭✭✭✭Discodog

An undecended testicle need not be a big deal but it does depend on whether the missing testicle is easy to locate & remove. I will PM you a link to the phone hotline that should be able to help you.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,378 ✭✭✭ISDW

You say that you adopted the dog, so I assume it came from a rescue organisation? Have you contacted them? Most rescues will only adopt dogs that have been neutered, so the cost is 'included' in the adoption fee. If you haven't already contacted them, I would suggest you do so.

Advertisement