Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Can't get European coffee maker to work

Options
  • 23-03-2012 4:14pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 3,591 ✭✭✭

Got a problem- I bought this espresso maker in Germany a few days back
    http://www.cloer.de/produkte/5928

I re-wired the European plug onto an Irish one. When I switch it on the switch immediately goes back to the off position, it lights up momentarily but then goes to off.

Any ideas ?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 310 ✭✭Gate Automation

top up by water

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,591 ✭✭✭RATM

Yeah its got water in it alright, still got the same problem though :(

• Registered Users Posts: 1,521 ✭✭✭stanley1

is there a voltage selector switch.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,422 ✭✭✭✭Bruthal

RATM wrote: »
    Got a problem- I bought this espresso maker in Germany a few days back
    http://www.cloer.de/produkte/5928

I re-wired the European plug onto an Irish one. When I switch it on the switch immediately goes back to the off position, it lights up momentarily but then goes to off.

Any ideas ?

Did it work at all or is it new?

Kettles etc that sit on a base plate usually have a switch that goes off when you lift it off the base, and this is just a mechanical interlock setup.
    It would be where the bottom black plate in the last photo goes into the bottom part that takes the water, in them pics.

The circular bit on the black base plate that goes up into the bottom of the kettle usually presses a little button that mechanically keeps the switch down when the user presses it, so that it goes off should the user lift it off the base plate while its actually on. So there might be a problem with this setup.

• Registered Users Posts: 310 ✭✭Gate Automation

sugarman wrote: »
    Maybe its not getting enough current? Since you stuck on a UK/Irish plug, theres obv now a 13A fuse in there, the machine might need a higher rating.

Check the bottem/manual, see what it says.

no, if there need more that 13A fuse will be gone

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 761 ✭✭✭mikewest

Stupid question time, is the polarity correct ?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,422 ✭✭✭✭Bruthal

mikewest wrote: »
    Stupid question time, is the polarity correct ?

Polarity wouldnt matter as its AC.

Id still go for the mechanical interlock one myself, or a problem with the switch mechanism. These items usualy will switch on even with no power, as in the button will stay down.

But lift it off its base and the switch mechanism goes off.

Advertisement