Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Keeping flies out?

• 23-03-2012 4:15pm
    Registered Users Posts: 371 ✭✭

I'd be grateful for any recommendations for keeping flying insects out of a conservatory - I'm thinking of the (hopefully) warm summer weather when the doors are open or when folk are going in and out. Ideally, a hinged fly screen door attached to the outside of the french doors would be great. Can anyone recommend an Irish company that will deliver?

I've seen chain/bead curtains online here but I'm not sure how effective they'd be. Anyone know? We bought weighted net panels last year and they were a complete waste of money. Any light breeze just lifted and tangled them :( while the flies flew in regardless.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 207 ✭✭porte

Lavender Essential Oil ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 371 ✭✭Teagwee

porte wrote: »
    Lavender Essential Oil ;)

The flies round here must have no sense of smell :D I have pots of lavender everywhere round the doors and they sail through it. Also tried cloves and basil until everyone was choked. Unfortunately, it's the physical barrier from now on.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,907 ✭✭✭✭CJhaughey

Teagwee wrote: »
    I'd be grateful for any recommendations for keeping flying insects out of a conservatory - I'm thinking of the (hopefully) warm summer weather when the doors are open or when folk are going in and out. Ideally, a hinged fly screen door attached to the outside of the french doors would be great. Can anyone recommend an Irish company that will deliver?

I've seen chain/bead curtains online here but I'm not sure how effective they'd be. Anyone know? We bought weighted net panels last year and they were a complete waste of money. Any light breeze just lifted and tangled them :( while the flies flew in regardless.
    I know Acme blinds also do flyscreens, they are a good Company in my experience, whereabouts are you?
    They probably have somewhere pretty close.

Thanks for that. I had a look at the site but they don't show any details so I've emailed them. I'm in the far North West, so I hope they will 'stretch' to me :) Failing that, if I can get a kit, that will do too.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 15,858 ✭✭✭✭paddy147

CJhaughey wrote: »
    I know Acme blinds also do flyscreens, they are a good Company in my experience, whereabouts are you?
    They probably have somewhere pretty close.

Acme blinds???

Dont wate your money.

Get a fly screen curtain in either Argos or else Ikea for feck all euros.;):)

• Advertisement

paddy147 wrote: »
    Acme blinds???

Dont wate your money.

Get a fly screen curtain in either Argos or else Ikea for feck all euros.;):)

Are you talking about the bead or chain things? Have you tried them or seen them in action? I wondered if they were any use. The weighted net screens are utterly useless if there's the slightest breeze.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 15,858 ✭✭✭✭paddy147

Are you talking about the bead or chain things? Have you tried them or seen them in action? I wondered if they were any use. The weighted net screens are utterly useless if there's the slightest breeze.

Yep,bead curtains indeed.

2nd and 3rd ones down on the argos link below........

http://www.argos.ie/static/Browse/ID72/27104070/c_1/1%7Ccategory_root%7CHome+and+furniture%7C14417894/c_2/2%7C14417894%7CCurtains+and+poles%7C14417937/c_3/3%7Ccat_14417937%7CDoor+curtains%7C27104070.htm

Thanks for that. Some poor reviews for the quality of these particular Argos ones but if the idea works I'm willing to give them a go or search for better. The price of fly screen doors - and the awkwardness of attaching them - is putting me off a little for the amount of summertime we're likely to get here in Ireland :(
    Anyone else tried these things or anything else that works?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,907 ✭✭✭✭CJhaughey

I've tried the bead and chain curtains, they don't work. Both the plastic strip type and the chain, The flies go under them.
    You may as well bite the bullet and get a proper flyscreen door.
    They are more expensive I grant you that but they work and don't let anything through and don't get tangled or kids/pets rip them down or try and strangle themselves in them or cut them with scissors...
    Depends on your circumstances I guess.

That's what I'm thinking, on the whole - I'll wait to see what quotes I get but it's the final solution for flies I want. The heat this weekend was baking but as soon as we opened the door we had every type of flying/stinging insect come in to visit :(

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 148 ✭✭bro'

Came across this company when checking secondary glazing- no afiliation

http://www.windowsealflyscreens.com/contact.html

based in Northwest

• Registered Users Posts: 46 jme467

Not sure if you're still looking, but I have an aunt who got a crowd called munster flyscreens ( http://munsterflyscreens.ie/ ) to do hers. Pretty sure she rang around and they seem to be the most competitive in the country at the moment, and they're a super job! Half thinking of going for something like that myself at the moment because I'm sick to death of replacing the cheap ones, and there's nothing worse than those annoying little yokes appearing in front of your face when you're eating or trying to relax :P

Would love to hear how the search goes or who you went with in the end! :)

jme467 wrote: »
    Not sure if you're still looking, but I have an aunt who got a crowd called munster flyscreens ( http://munsterflyscreens.ie/ ) to do hers. Pretty sure she rang around and they seem to be the most competitive in the country at the moment, and they're a super job! Half thinking of going for something like that myself at the moment because I'm sick to death of replacing the cheap ones, and there's nothing worse than those annoying little yokes appearing in front of your face when you're eating or trying to relax :P

Would love to hear how the search goes or who you went with in the end! :)

I emailed a couple of places for prices and information - no reply from either! Maybe out of business or not bothered.

Have now figured out my own solution. I bought a pair of voile full length door nets from Argos and weighted them down with lengths of chain from a DIY shop in the open hem channel at the bottom. I stuck the side edges to the door frame. Voila :pac: - it worked! They billow out in the wind but not enough to let flies in as they're quite long.

Cost me €23 in total. I'm working on an idea for a catch for the chain to hold it in place either side when the door is left open or to hold at the one side when door is closed.

• Registered Users Posts: 46 jme467

I emailed a couple of places for prices and information - no reply from either! Maybe out of business or not bothered.

Have now figured out my own solution. I bought a pair of voile full length door nets from Argos and weighted them down with lengths of chain from a DIY shop in the open hem channel at the bottom. I stuck the side edges to the door frame. Voila :pac: - it worked! They billow out in the wind but not enough to let flies in as they're quite long.

Cost me €23 in total. I'm working on an idea for a catch for the chain to hold it in place either side when the door is left open or to hold at the one side when door is closed.

It's amazing that places ignore emails like that, especially when they're probably all sitting around in there complaining about how slow business is!

That actually sounds like a great idea, and sure €23 is a steal! I actually rang the Munster flyscreen place this morning because my neighbour said she heard something about them eventually becoming compulsory in most places. I'm hoping to use my kitchen as a commercial kitchen as well, so the man I spoke to said he would call out and see what they could do and give me a quote. I'm gonna see what he says, and if nothing else it'll be free advice that I can use if I decide to try my hand at a DIY version! :)

Advertisement