Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Better than an Ipad?

• 23-03-2012 4:22pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,331 ✭✭✭

Right, I have heard multipple acendotal stories that there are tablet computers out there that are better than Ipads, cheaper with higher specs. Is that true? TBH i could bearly tell you the difference between an Ipad and an Iphone but the sister is looking to buy an Ipad and if there is something better out there she would go for it instead. I know Ipads have no USB which would be a turn off for me. Anyone? Any links to better items? I don't want this to be an anti-Apple thread, just honest advice please! :)

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 387 ✭✭amby666

There are a lot of Android tablets with USB and pretty decent.
    You might get more advice psoting/looking in the android forum here.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,226 ✭✭✭boobar

Here are some cheaper options:

Blackberry Playbook - supposedly going cheap
    Motorola Xoom
    Archos 10.1 - can't think of the name
    Samsung Galaxy Tablet - not much cheaper

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 927 ✭✭✭Icaras

I just bought a xoom after loads or research. Space for SD card, all ports, no itunes and price done it for me. Also has potential to go 4g (which I understand is good).
    Will be delivered next week so will let ye know how I get on.

• Registered Users Posts: 867 ✭✭✭sundula

Which version of xoom ? Original or xoom 2, I read the original xoom is suppose to be better.

sundula wrote: »
    Which version of xoom ? Original or xoom 2, I read the original xoom is suppose to be better.

Yea, I went for the original. SD slot in the original, none in the xoom 2. The 2 is better but more expensive, I think the original is the best value for money.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,058 ✭✭✭AltAccount

Take a look at the Sony Tablet S too. Similar specs to the Galaxy, but a little cheaper.

Icaras wrote: »
    sundula wrote: »

Yea, I went for the original. SD slot in the original, none in the xoom 2. The 2 is better but more expensive, I think the original is the best value for money.

Writing this from my new (2nd hand) XOOM and very happy, screen is great, battery life fine, very easy to use, some great app, struggled a little to find a browser I liked but have settled for the dolphin hd - the gestures to control surfing is great, even like the keyboard which is a common complaint about tablets in general.
    The only real negative thing I have to say about is it is heavy compared to other tablets - I am defiantly investing in a case/stand asap.

Anyone with any questions feel free to ask and I will answer as best I can.

• Registered Users Posts: 118 ✭✭Bromium

Got a second hand xoom a few weeks ago and I have to say I'm extremely impressed its a fatastic device, my advice would be if your going that route to look for a xoom that was sold originally in the US as they are GED (google experience devices) i.e they get updated straight from google and motorola don't get to mess around with it before you get your updates. Mine is currently runnning ICS 4.0.4 like a dream.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,180 ✭✭✭Serephucus

If you're looking into Android tablets you owe it to yourself to look into the ASUS Transformer. I have the first generation one (TF101), and it's excellent.

The Prime (TF201) is more expensive, but is very nice in person (my dad has one), though you loose a USB port, the thing is noticeably faster to use than mine, and a lot lighter too.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 74 ✭✭techfeen

I recently bought the sony tablet and I'm fairly pleased with it only you can't disable the notification light, which gets kinda annoying

• Advertisement
Advertisement