Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

change spelling of babys name on birth cert

Options
  • 23-03-2012 4:56pm
    Registered Users Posts: 65 ✭✭

i want to know how to go about changing spelling of baby's name on her birth cert. is it a complicated thing to do, ?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,268 ✭✭✭✭uck51js9zml2yt

purplecat wrote: »
    i want to know how to go about changing spelling of baby's name on her birth cert. is it a complicated thing to do, ?
    you can't change it.
    you are asked to double check the details before you sign the registration papers for that very reason.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,893 ✭✭✭Hannibal Smith

I only know a marriage cert can only be changed by a court order....so I'm assuming a baby's name can only be done by deed poll...that's why you have to be do careful when registering ?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,174 ✭✭✭bulmersgal

I only know a marriage cert can only be changed by a court order....so I'm assuming a baby's name can only be done by deed poll...that's why you have to be do careful when registering ?

I think now I could be slightly mistaken but I know you can for second names. If you register them in school and doctors with the new spelling, after two years you can apply for a passport with that spelling. It will however have a note on passport saying birth name is and this will be name on birth cert

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,268 ✭✭✭✭uck51js9zml2yt

http://www.citizensinformation.ie/en/birth_family_relationships/after_your_baby_is_born/registering_birth_your_baby.html

If you marry after the birth of your child, and if the father's name has not already been entered in the Register of Births, you may re-register the birth. Under the Social Welfare (Miscellaneous Provisions) Act 2002, it is possible to change the surname of the child where a couple are re-registering a birth in order to add the father's details, if the registration took place between October 1997 and the commencement of the legislation in October 2002. However, it is not possible to change the surname of the child in the Register of Births if the father's details were recorded in the original registration. The child's surname can only be changed at the joint request of both parents.

For births on or after 5 December 2005, parents who marry each other after the birth may re-register the birth to reflect their marital status, and may change the child's surname

http://www.citizensinformation.ie/en/birth_family_relationships/problems_in_marriages_and_other_relationships/changing_your_name_by_deed_poll.html

Changing the surname of a child
    The surname of a child can be changed in the Register of Births but only in certain circumstances. However, the surname of a child can also be changed by deed poll or common usage. Children aged between 14 and 17 years can execute the Deed Poll themselves but need the consent of both parents. Where a child is under the age of 14 years, one of the child's parents must execute the Deed Poll with the consent of the other parent.

• Registered Users Posts: 106 ✭✭sweetnjuicy

it can be done and is very very easy. i did it myself when i realised my fiance had spelled tomás, thomás!! you need to get 2 letters, from doctors, hospital, PHN even, even a bank account in his name will do. it just needs to show you use another spelling. then you and OH need to go to registry office and fill out a quick form and bring babys birth cert. it cost me a fiver to do it in cork.

so yes very quick and very easy :) my baby was 18 weeks till i got around to it and no hastle

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,292 ✭✭✭Mrs Fox

Yes I believe it can be done within the first 3 months of birth, but since sweetnjuicy got hers done easily past that, there is hope for you, OP.

• Registered Users Posts: 116 ✭✭agrif06

from www.groireland.ie

Section 7. Corrections of Errors and other Amendments.

A birth certificate is a legal document and cannot be amended unless there are valid reasons to do so, as the Civil Registration service has a duty to protect the integrity of the records held. In circumstances where the information given AT THE TIME OF BIRTH OR RE-REGISTRATION was incorrect or flawed, there are a number of provisions and procedures that must be followed in order to amend the entry.

7.1 Clerical Errors

In cases where an entry contains a misspelling, a juxtaposition of the particulars (e.g. surname and forename entered in the wrong order) or other clerical error, this can be addressed under the provisions of section 63 of the Civil Registration Act, 2004.

Any interested party (e.g. parent, relative, civil partner or the person to whom the entry applies (if an adult)) may apply in writing to any Superintendent Registrar (via any registration office) for the correction of a clerical error. An administrative form for this purpose is available at any local registration office, and must be completed and returned to the Superintendent Registrar, along with some documentary evidence of the correct spelling, etc. – (unless, of course, the error is self evident). If the Superintendent Registrar is satisfied that a clerical error has occurred, the entry will then be corrected

Advertisement