Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Miami Dolphins Thread

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 66 ✭✭rosskeen

It's the hope that kills you

• Registered Users Posts: 1,626 ✭✭✭rockonollie

Silver lining.....now the Jets pick after the Dolphins in the draft (though they never draft well anyway)

The Bills and Jets games are hard to swallow.....but there's just so much to look back on this season, that could have signifcantly changed the season. Infact, looking over their early losses, just a handful of plays changed the results of many games.

Week 5 against the Ravens, Tannehill took a sack on 3rd down in a 3 point game, that made it a 57 yard FG attempt instead of 52.....Sturgis had to blast the ball and even though he got the distance, he missed wide left.
    Week 7 against the Bills, with 3 minutes left and a 1 point lead, O-line collasped again, Tannehill was sacked and fumbled, setting up the winning FG for Buffalo.
    Week 10 against Tampa, Defense gets the stop they need to give Miami possession when trailing 22-19, but Thigpin loses his bearings and fair-catches the punt on their own 5-yard line.....by the time the dolphins got out of their own endzone, they were left trying for the long-ball to get into fieldgoal range.
    Week 12 against Carolina, defense unable to get off the field and allow Panthers to convert on 4th and 10 to keep game winning drive alive.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 4,006 ✭✭✭donfers

with sherman being fired does that mean that we have lost confidence in Tannehill?

verdict on the qb guys?

give him another year or cut our losses and accept he's not quite the elite qb we need and never will be

donfers wrote: »
    with sherman being fired does that mean that we have lost confidence in Tannehill?

verdict on the qb guys?

give him another year or cut our losses and accept he's not quite the elite qb we need and never will be

I don't think we've lost confidence in Tannehill, although he has come out and said that he didn't have confidence in Sherman.

I think we saw enough glimmers this year to give him another season......with better protection and better play calling, results could be very different.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,746 ✭✭✭TaosHum

No way I'd give up on Tannehill yet. Although the past two performances were way off than what was needed from him, I think he showed enough promise and development during the season to warrant his continued presence as the team's quarterback.

For much of the season he has battled against statistically the worst pass protection in the history of the league and an ineffective rushing attack. Mike Shermen going and getting a competent Coordinator who can get the best out of Tannehill and play to his strengths is a must.

Tannehill will have to clean up some aspects of his game also. His deep ball accuracy needs serious improving. He has the arm strength to make all the throws, its his placement that needs work. He will need to spend pretty much all off-season with Wallace in order to build chemistry and make sure TD's will not be left on the field like this season. His pocket presence and awareness also need to improve as some of those sacks were on him and he needs to know when to step up in the pocket in order to avoid the rush.

If Ross finally gets rid of Ireland, then things could turn around for Miami very quickly. Going to have to wait and see.

• Registered Users Posts: 208 ✭✭Sammo13

Not surprising the way we played against the Jets after such a flat display in Buffalo. Last week you swear the Jets were the ones trying to get to the playoffs. The game reminds me of the week 16 loss to the Jets in 1991 in OT.. back then it felt like the world ended.

As for Tannehill, I think the guy is good put not at QB that will carry a team. He needs a solid running game and a decent OL, agree his deep pass and pocket presence needs work. But he certainly got the tools to be good bit better than average and hopefully the franchise will learn from the Marino years and go get a RB and decent OL.

For me Jeff Ireland is accountable for whats wrong with the Dolphins, draft picks have been poor, this years draft is a prime example, lose Long, pass on OL and go for a DE who plays once every 3 snaps and then rely on patched up OL for your future franchise QB. 60 odd sacks should get him sacked regardless of the other gaffs.

Linebacker was another area which was mind blowing, Wheeler was so bad, i.e - watch his tackling in the last 2 games or lack of.. Dansby having a great year in Arizona was a player Ireland released.. Ellersby was not as bad but still disappointing.

Anyway - it's been way to long watching average Dolphins teams and at this stage GM has to go, I have no faith in the Franchise doing the right thing..

Outside of the Dolphins woes, the Playoffs should be excellent, imagine Miami in Ciny (I'd need beers for that for sure)...

Miami's record against Cincy and Dalton in particular is fairly good.

Perhaps the most disappointing aspect of the year for the Dolphins was the play at linebacker. If anything we downgraded on Burnett and Dansby.

I can't trust Jeff Ireland to run another draft. He's been far too hit and miss to be allowed near it again. The Miami draft class had fewer snaps than any other team in the league according to a blog on the Palm Beach Post website today. Doesn't make good reading for the GM.

If the Dolphins do anything this week it had better be getting Brent Grimes tied up to a new deal. We've spent too long with rubbish cornerbacks to let a good one go now!

• Registered Users Posts: 7,779 ✭✭✭Benimar

Reading some of the Miami beat writers on Twitter, it appears Dansby, Burnett et al were left go as they were too 'vocal'. It appears Philbin doesn't want his players to have an opinion. If this is true its a bit worrying tbh as that leads to a situation where players don't feel free to speak up.

Ireland has to go, he cannot be trusted with another off season. His drafts have been woeful and not just for trading up to take a player who basically played on 3rd down. Grimes was a great pick up in FA, but Wheeler not so much.

Sherman is also a must-go, surprised he isn't out the door already. Coyles defense has regressed also, but he may be safe,

I have to admit that I'm in the get rid of Philbin camp. I'd prefer a new GM to have a clean slate and to be able to select his own HC and I don't think Philbin has done enough to keep his job. He is regularly outcoached and the last 2 weeks has to fall at his door.

As for Tannehill, I think he can be an above average NFL QB, but thats his ceiling. He deserves next season but if by some strange fluke a franchise QB was available in the draft, I'd have to seriously consider making the pick.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,395 ✭✭✭✭mikemac1

Benimar wrote: »
    Reading some of the Miami beat writers on Twitter, it appears Dansby, Burnett et al were left go as they were too 'vocal'. It appears Philbin doesn't want his players to have an opinion. If this is true its a bit worrying tbh as that leads to a situation where players don't feel free to speak up.

Dansby, Long and Bush were the three players on Hard Knocks who setup meetings with Philbin.

They are all gone. Is that connected or was it purely football reasons?

• Advertisement

Offensive line was probably the worst area giving the amount of sacks and lack of running game but also down to RB's lack of blocking and hard yards... Linebacker area would run the OL close for it though, we had such a bad run defense and for me this is down to the lack of tackles made a LB, runs of 3/4 yds turning into gashs of 7/8..

Grimes at CB is a must, secondary in general is decent, alot of injuries which didn't help..

I really liked the hiring of Philbin, but Im disappointed to say the least... Clean house would probably be best, but I really think their is a good group of players there and for me get rid of Ireland, get 3 OL'men and young MLB in the draft plus a power tail back in FA, not sure who's available though.. So I would give Philbin another year under a different GM..

mikemac1 wrote: »
    Dansby, Long and Bush were the three players on Hard Knocks who setup meetings with Philbin.

They are all gone. Is that connected or was it purely football reasons?

Dansby and Bush had good seasons in 2013 (money may have been an issue with keeping Bush) and Long was better than any of our OLine, so there is certainly a perception that the 3 players were gotten rid of.

If Philbin wants a bunch of yes men around him I'd be very concerned if he was kept on.

It's all speculation of course, but the 'suggestion' is being made by some of the more respected writers.

MJD is being allowed to test free agency......could be a good power back for the fins.....keep Miller as the screen/sweep back and Jones-Drew as your north-south guy.....would be a solid backfield and definitely improve the run game.

Change of scene could revive his career.

Meetings are taking place at the moment. Hopefully we have some firings to report later tonight.

Current rumour amongst the usual Twitter sources is that Philbin is safe, Ireland is 50/50 and Sherman is getting the bullet.

Per @AdamHBeasley " One league source intimately familiar with the situation went so far as to say Sherman is “running the team."

If this is the case..fire 'em all!!

EDIT: Full article. Philbin has final say over all coaching moves so can't be made fire Sherman.

http://www.miamiherald.com/2014/01/03/3849615/changes-for-miami-dolphins-still.html

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 4,006 ✭✭✭donfers

fire Ireland - give the coaches and Tannehill one more season

Per @AdamHBeasley " One league source intimately familiar with the situation went so far as to say Sherman is “running the team."

If this is the case..fire 'em all!!

EDIT: Full article. Philbin has final say over all coaching moves so can't be made fire Sherman.

http://www.miamiherald.com/2014/01/03/3849615/changes-for-miami-dolphins-still.html

Read something about that yesterday. Issue is (supposedly) Ross wants Sherman out, yet Philbin is happy with his assistants.

Ross can't afford to crack on this. If Philbin won't fall in line, clean house.

Just announced that Mike Sherman has been relieved of his position with the team.

Needed to be done, but if thats the only move it's just tinkering at the edges to be honest.

• Advertisement

Needed to be done, but if thats the only move it's just tinkering at the edges to be honest.

I hope/expect to see another couple of non-playing personell changes......but this was definitely the one that had to happen.

Ireland next.

TaosHum wrote: »
    Ireland next.

We can only hope...

• Registered Users Posts: 43 bryanodowd

Anit-Munchak.

Throwing Sherman under the bus to keep his job for a year. Ouch. Especially after saying how great a job he did etc just last week.

Nobody will take this except for a promotion, so more unexperienced coaches next year, what could possibliy go wrong.

Ireland gone :D

Just tweeted by the Dolphins

:D About time

• Registered Users Posts: 39,874 ✭✭✭✭Itssoeasy

It says they mutually agreed to part ways. I love they way they word these statements after something like this. So ireland was given a choice of leaving or be fired then.

Bout time Ross lost faith in him. Hopefully his first appointment of a GM will be a success.

According to the usual Twitter sources, Ross was willing to keep Ireland but remove his final say over Personnel.

Ross contemplating keeping Ireland worries me a bit to be honest. Doesn't show the greatest judgement.

Also, is Ross tied to Philbin? What if the new GM wants to bring in his own coach? 'Interesting' times ahead I think and I hope we don't lose out on a good GM just to keep Philbin.

• Advertisement

According to the usual Twitter sources, Ross was willing to keep Ireland but remove his final say over Personnel.

Ross contemplating keeping Ireland worries me a bit to be honest. Doesn't show the greatest judgement.

Also, is Ross tied to Philbin? What if the new GM wants to bring in his own coach? 'Interesting' times ahead I think and I hope we don't lose out on a good GM just to keep Philbin.

I'm not too worried at the idea Ross wanted to offer Ireland a "promotion". Losing final say on personnel decision would have seriously removed the most critical aspect of being a GM. He was never going to accept an offer like that, so you could argue Ross was actually quite clever in getting rid of him without actually having to sack him.

Philbin's situation is interesting and we won't really know where he stands until interviews for the new GM position begin. If candidates are told they have to retain Philbin, then I think it turns quite a few candidates off the position. If not, then your coming to have some serious competition for it.

The way I see this panning out is that with the firing of Sherman, Philbin appeased Ross and thus will not be on the chopping block. This will lead to the hiring being made from within, with Brian Gaine being the most likely candidate.

Ross made a bollox of it in this regard. He should have chopped Ireland as soon as possible, brought in a new GM swiftly and allowed the new GM decide on what to do with Philbin.

Advertisement