Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Miami Dolphins Thread

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,269 ✭✭✭DubTony

TaosHum wrote: »

Ross made a bollox of it in this regard. He should have chopped Ireland as soon as possible, brought in a new GM swiftly and allowed the new GM decide on what to do with Philbin.

Yup! Arse about face way of doing things. GM is responsible for everyone, and gets to decide who stays and who goes. So it looks like the next GM will start behind the 8 ball; unless he's a raving Joe Philbin fan. That is, of course, if there's somebody out there willing to take the job under those conditions. My bet is there's a sub-par GM on the way.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,779 ✭✭✭Benimar

Denis Hickey appointed as new GM, after a complete farce of a search.

We are a mess. All this has done is confirm my belief that Ross should have cleaned house and appointed a GM first.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 4,006 ✭✭✭donfers

lads, what's the verdict on dion jordan in his rookie year - did he justify his no.3 draft pick?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,746 ✭✭✭TaosHum

donfers wrote: »
    lads, what's the verdict on dion jordan in his rookie year - did he justify his no.3 draft pick?

Jury still out on Jordan I'm afraid.

Prior to the draft, I was a huge fan of Jordan and was delighted the Fins decided to trade up and get him.

However he has only seen limited time as a situational pass rusher and the coaches did not seem to trust him enough to play him more regularly. I'm not sure whether it's the coaches don't like him against the run, if he's not good enough to displace Wake/Vernon or simply poor coaching. Could be a combination of all three.

But from what I've seen of him, I like. He has tremendous ability to get to the passer and made some bg plays for the Fins this season (forced INT vs Ravens). Even in coverage we have seen him lined up against the best TE's in the game and do a good job. Not many DE's have the ability to stay with the likes of Graham and Gronk.

IMO, as the 3rd overall pick, he has got to be on the field more and being given the opportunity to show what he can do on a more regular basis. I think alot of this comes down to poor coaching. Jordan has shown in limited time he can play, its up to the coaches to give him a bigger role.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,626 ✭✭✭rockonollie

Benimar wrote: »
    Denis Hickey appointed as new GM, after a complete farce of a search.

We are a mess. All this has done is confirm my belief that Ross should have cleaned house and appointed a GM first.

It's pretty obvious it's a poison chalice type of position......especially since most of the reputable candidates withdrew their names after they interviewed.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 32,370 ✭✭✭✭Son Of A Vidic

It's pretty obvious it's a poison chalice type of position......especially since most of the reputable candidates withdrew their names after they interviewed.

Nick Caserio our Director of Player Personnel is reported to have turned down the job. He's a great guy and I'm naturally delighted he's not leaving. He was pursued by the Colts in 2012 and he decided to stay with us. So he's back to being Bill's number 2. Lots of spin in the media, some media sources say he didn't take the Phins job because he hadn't the power to hire or fire the coach. Other sources say he's on a low salary relative to his position and his recent moves were just done to increase the pay and show the Pats how sought after he was by other franchises.

From a quick skim of the Martin report issued today, it looks as if Incognito wasn't the only culprit here.

Can see the league coming down hard on Pouncey and Jerry too. Turner will surely be fired and it all makes me even more concerned about Philbin being HC material.

Heads should role all right. Hopefully whatever action that's needed to be taken is done so soon, as I just want to see the team move on from this and focus on FA and the draft.

O-line coach and head athletic trainer......officially relieved of duties.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,066 ✭✭✭✭nerd69

hows dion jordan doing for ye lads iv herd a few rumblings that the eagles should trade for him. would the dolphins trade him or is that fantasy talk.

• Advertisement

nerd69 wrote: »
    hows dion jordan doing for ye lads iv herd a few rumblings that the eagles should trade for him. would the dolphins trade him or is that fantasy talk.

I was going to post and say there is no chance the Dolphins would trade a player they traded up to take last year. However, this is the Dolphins and it now appears as if they are shopping him!

• Registered Users Posts: 66 ✭✭rosskeen

Grimes signed to a 4 year deal. $32 million 4 year deal, $16 million guaranteed. Glad to have him back.

We'll probably have to let go off either Solai or Starks. Have a slight preference for holding onto Solai.

$8m a year for one of the best corners in football. Great deal. Delighted he is coming back.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 21,654 Mod ✭✭✭✭helimachoptor

Some of the Titans beat writers are saying that you guys are interested in a trade for Chris Johnson, seems bonkers when he can just be released and you can snap him up then!

Some of the Titans beat writers are saying that you guys are interested in a trade for Chris Johnson, seems bonkers when he can just be released and you can snap him up then!

Seems like a very Dolphin thing to do!

Because if he's released, Dolphins will have to compete with other teams for his services......if they can work a trade, and not give up a whole lot, it's worth it to avoid fighting for him in free agency......if they want him that much.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 21,654 Mod ✭✭✭✭helimachoptor

Because if he's released, Dolphins will have to compete with other teams for his services......if they can work a trade, and not give up a whole lot, it's worth it to avoid fighting for him in free agency......if they want him that much.

But i think he'll want a fortune if released, not many teams have the ability to pay or will want to pay..

Hard to know what will happen to be honest

But i think he'll want a fortune if released, not many teams have the ability to pay or will want to pay..

Hard to know what will happen to be honest

He'll get a big contract if released.....and if a team was to get them in a trade they'd have him for 3 years at $8m,$8m,$7m......which i suspect would be cheaper than his FA contract would end up being

Not overall impressed with Miami's acquisitions on the first day of FA.

I like the Delmas signing as it fits a position of need and Delmas is a good Safety when fit. On a one year deal, I think it gives him him an opportunity to prove himself and maybe get a long term contract out of it like Grimes did.

I think Miami paid an awful lot to an injury prone LT in Albert. I know the Tackle market was inflated with by the big contracts given to Saffold and Howard, but $46m and $26m guaranteed, is very high for a player that tends to get injured alot. But I suppose Miami had to do something given the dire need at Tackle. If he can get through an entire season, then I can live with it. Albert is also a leader, which the Fins need on the O-Line.

I flat out don't like Mitchell signing. Over-paid for an inferior player to what we had last season. There was better options out there who could have been gotten for the same money.

Martin been traded to the 49ers is good even if the Fins only get a 7th rounder as he was going to be cut.

• Registered Users Posts: 66 ✭✭rosskeen

I think all chat of money needs to be based on the understanding that the salary cap went up $7million this year and it's expected to go up again next year.

I'm not too troubled about the signing of Albert. If you want one of the top three tackles in the league you're going to have to pay. The way Aponte appears to structure contracts I'm sure she's left herself enough wriggle room to cut him down the line if needs be. His age isn't a major concern, tackles can play well into their 30s, the injuries situation is. Although I read somewhere last night that he'd missed 5 games in 5 years which wouldn't have been too bad. Not entirely sure of the validity of that report.

My limited knowledge of Mitchell is that he's very highly thought of if playing in a system that didn't suit him last season. It now looks like Starks might be returning which wouldn't be the worst of re-signings. Solai got paid massive money in Atlanta, so while sad to see him go, I don't think we should have paid him in line with what Atlanta are prepared to pay.

Delighted to see the back of Martin. Very little sympathy for him. Almost as good a trade as the jags getting a pick for Blaine Gabbert!

• Advertisement

Albert has only played a full season once in six seasons. He missed 7 games in the last two seasons, so thats a real concern.

Delighted to see Starks back, but the Fins are going to struggle hugely vs the run if they don't add a big space eater.

so what can ye tell me about nolan caroll

Solid corner, who excels in man coverage. Has good size and won't get dominated easily by big receivers. I think at $5m over 2 years is good money for his services and at 27 is still quite young. Disappointed Miami didn't retain him, especially after cutting Patterson.

Good signing.

In his spare time, he likes to crochet and is a big fan of long walks on the beach. Justin Bieber is his idol, and his favourite colour is fuscia.

In his spare time, he likes to crochet and is a big fan of long walks on the beach. Justin Bieber is his idol, and his favourite colour is fuscia.

sweet so hes badass macho man that will take on the entire o-line himself :D:D

Strong rumours Cortland Finnegan will sign a two year deal with Fins.

Interesting if true.

TaosHum wrote: »
    Strong rumours Cortland Finnegan will sign a two year deal with Fins.

Interesting if true.

A quality CB when he keeps his head in the game.....too many occasions of letting receivers get under his skin though

So the Fins are shopping Wallace. No team will be stupid enough to pay him the money Ireland was stupid enough to give him. In fact, I think Miami would actually have to give up a pick along with Wallace to ship him.

• Advertisement

Moreno to Dolphins.....1 year deal

Advertisement