Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Attic Insulation 200mm or 100mm

• 23-03-2012 6:49pm
    Registered Users Posts: 402 ✭✭

I am flooring my attic and I will be installing 4" or 100mm joists.

I will then be filling the gap between the joists with insulation.

Which gives a better insulation.

100mm of regular glass rool-out insulation with the chipboard on top.

Or 200mm regular roll-out insulation, compacted down into the 100mm space with the chipboard on top.

ie which gives better insulation the air in the 100mm or 200mm compacted down to 100mm.

Any advice appreciated. Cost is minimal.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 207 ✭✭porte

The 200mm rock wall will be denser and give better insulation against heat loss.
    If you are covering it with chipboard the 100mm will be sufficient.

• Registered Users Posts: 402 ✭✭Tidyweb

Thanks,

yea, I know its sufficient.

But I understood its the air traped in the insulation that adds to the insulation, it you compress and make it dense you loose some of the insulation value.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 15,858 ✭✭✭✭paddy147

Tidyweb wrote: »
    Thanks,

yea, I know its sufficient.

But I understood its the air traped in the insulation that adds to the insulation, it you compress and make it dense you loose some of the insulation value.

Exactly,dont compress or squash down the insulation.

But thats my whole question.

Obviously 200mm of insulation compacted down to 100mm is better than 20mm not compacted.

But which is better

200mm compacted to 100mm

or just put 100mm not compacted.

Does the question make sense?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,076 ✭✭✭gman2k

As said above, never compress insulation, as it's the air that is trapped in the insulation that actually keep the warmth in.
    So to finally answer your question definitively,
    If your space is 100mm, use 100mm insulation. You will get very little insulation value from 200mm of insulation compressed to 100mm.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 147 ✭✭ayeboy

100mm will be better imo.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 614 ✭✭✭aido76

Why are you only going with 100mm? Is the regulation not 300mm? Have you other insulation installed and the 100mm is a top up?

Yes there is 150mm of cellulose and I will be adding 100mm of fiberglass, 18mm chipboard and whatever storage ontop of that.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 614 ✭✭✭aido76

Would you not go with another 150mm to bring it up to 300mm? Is topping it up with Fibreglass a good idea? Should you not use the same as whats in it already? I'm starting to sound like I ask alot of questions. I just think you should do it right the first time.

Advertisement