Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Marlay Park 2012

Options
  • 23-03-2012 6:54pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 7,221 ✭✭✭

Concert(s) will take place between June 25th and August 31st, 2012. Apparently they will be staged in the open and not in a tent.

Heard a rumour about that Tom Jones is one act.
    Tagged:

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,539 ✭✭✭ghostdancer

do you know who the promoter is?
    as far as I can remember, MCD have done most of the gigs there (if not all), but Tom Jones seems more like an Aiken act....

• Registered Users Posts: 3,328 ✭✭✭karaokeman

Would Tom Jones attract a Marlay Park crowd:confused:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,221 ✭✭✭BrianD

MCD is the promoter.

Tom Jones plays Belsonic on June 24th.

What's a Marlay Park crowd?

• Registered Users Posts: 51,054 ✭✭✭✭Professey Chin

BrianD wrote: »
    MCD is the promoter.

What's a Marlay Park crowd?

About 30,000 I think. Maybe more

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 14,927 Mod ✭✭✭✭Furious-Red

Could mean Foo's doing a show down south?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 21,340 ✭✭✭✭Mushy

Has to be a Foo's show then if its true.

Maybe Kasabian and Foo Fighters for their own shows in Marlay Park? Both safer to sell out then PP .

Foo Fighters
    Tenacious D
    Gaslight Anthem
    Eagles of Death Metal

:D:D:D

Kasabian:
    Franz Ferdinand or Bloc Party

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,017 ✭✭✭the_doctor199

It's August 24.

• Registered Users Posts: 92 ✭✭soyawhatsup

Possibility of At The Drive In playing? Maybe a support slot for the Foos?

Possibility of At The Drive In playing? Maybe a support slot for the Foos?
    doubt they'd support someone like the foo fighters tbh. or at least i hope not anyway.

• Advertisement

doubt they'd support someone like the foo fighters tbh. or at least i hope not anyway.

Why? I could see them popping up at EP either

Why? I could see them popping up at EP either
    well for the first part, they don't seem like that similar acts, and i can't see ATD-I agreeing to it, especially given the demand they're likely to be in all over Europe.
    the 2nd part, i think FF are absolute god-awful ****, and would rather not have to pay money to one of their gigs, after seeing them live a few times before.

that's assuming that FF are playing, and not Phoenix Park, or Slane, or wherever they're being linked with this week...

well for the first part, they don't seem like that similar acts, and i can't see ATD-I agreeing to it, especially given the demand they're likely to be in all over Europe.
    the 2nd part, i think FF are absolute god-awful ****, and would rather not have to pay money to one of their gigs, after seeing them live a few times before.

that's assuming that FF are playing, and not Phoenix Park, or Slane, or wherever they're being linked with this week...

Well they are only headlining 2nd stage at Reading and Leeds so supporting a big band like Foo's would still big enough for them . I do agree there is a big demand for them but if they do play over here id say will do a festival or outdoor gig slot

• Registered Users Posts: 56 ✭✭weezer1980

i hope this means the Foos play

the first gig announced. its Van Morrison with Tom Jones and Bobby Womack. announced on Hotpress.com - http://hotpress.com/Van-Morrison/news/Van-Morrison-for-Marlay-Park/8797185.html?new_layout=1

• Registered Users Posts: 1,175 ✭✭✭StaticAge11

How does the confirmation of Van Morrison make Foos more likely???

• Registered Users Posts: 21,340 ✭✭✭✭Mushy

How does the confirmation of Van Morrison make Foos more likely???

Said they'd be back, nothing announced yet, fits into tour schedule, suitable venue now being used within this timeframe.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,175 ✭✭✭StaticAge11

Agree with you on those, I just thought it was one of those posts that just assumes things as fact that are in reality just wild speculation :P

Yup really praying for a Foo's gig (even though im going to Belfast aswell) . It would be perfect size for them and with a big enough support eg Tenacious D
    However i wouldnt be surprised if there only gig this summer is T-Vital

About 30,000 I think. Maybe more

Capacity is 22,000. Gigs will be open air with the stage at the house end. Up to 9 concerts possible.

When I meant "what's a Marlay Park crowd?" the other poster seemed to suggest that there was a "type" of person who goes to Marlay. I would have thought the concerts were pretty varied over the years and hence the crowd.

Foos are playing Belfast Vital festival so I'd say there's a good chance.

Capacity is 22,000. Gigs will be open air with the stage at the house end. Up to 9 concerts possible.

When I meant "what's a Marlay Park crowd?" the other poster seemed to suggest that there was a "type" of person who goes to Marlay. I would have thought the concerts were pretty varied over the years and hence the crowd.

Foos are playing Belfast Vital festival so I'd say there's a good chance.

They only use the house side of the park when it doesnt sell well , the other end can hold up to 30,000 Foo Fighters , Metallica , Kaiser Chiefs played that end before

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,783 ✭✭✭handsomecake

David guetta

• Registered Users Posts: 16 muzzled2b

Metallica are overdue an appearance and are in Europe, I'd be expecting them to play Marlay now

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 405 ✭✭Econoline Van

Does anyone know if there'd be seating at the Van show?

They only use the house side of the park when it doesnt sell well , the other end can hold up to 30,000 Foo Fighters , Metallica , Kaiser Chiefs played that end before

No, the stage goes where it says in the application which is lodged in Jan/Feb.. They can't change this without reapplying for a new licence. So all of the concerts that they plan will be as per the application which are made well in advance of tickets going on sale.

• Registered Users Posts: 207 ✭✭green day rule

Does anyone know if there'd be seating at the Van show?

I Wouldn't Imagine So :)

• Registered Users Posts: 12,714 ✭✭✭✭The Nal

muzzled2b wrote: »
    Metallica are overdue an appearance and are in Europe, I'd be expecting them to play Marlay now

Lets hope so!

Would've loved to see them with Lou Reed myself!

• Registered Users Posts: 11,928 ✭✭✭✭scudzilla

muzzled2b wrote: »
    The Nal wrote: »
    Lets hope so!

Would've loved to see them with Lou Reed myself!

Ain't gonna happen, and I really hope your takin the piss about wantinga Loutallica gig

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 405 ✭✭Econoline Van

I Wouldn't Imagine So :)

I didn't think so either but would've imagined that most people who'd be into Tom Jones or Van would certainly appreciate being able to sit down for the afternoon!

• Registered Users Posts: 404 ✭✭sabrewulf

- Metallica tickets sold very poorly the last time they played Marley Park in 2009. Not sure why, because in 2008 they sold out the same venue. So it's doubtful that they will be playing there again anytime soon.
    - "the Marley Park" crowd is probably a little too wide to be put into one category: in 2009 Fatboy Slim performed there on the very next day after the Metallica show. Needless to say that the crowd was entirely different. At times I thought my buddy and me were the only ones having been at both shows.
    Note: the Metallica day had the usual (non-existing) security check at the entrance, while on the Fatboy Slim day people were manually checked, and 5 meters farther checked again with a metal detector...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,507 ✭✭✭nitromaster

sabrewulf wrote: »
    - Metallica tickets sold very poorly the last time they played Marley Park in 2009. Not sure why, because in 2008 they sold out the same venue. So it's doubtful that they will be playing there again anytime soon.

Possibly because Sonisphere was on that year the same time? (if memory serves me correctly) so a lot of people may have chosen that option instead. :cool:

Advertisement