Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

DT011 Aviation Technology. What's it like?

Options
  • 23-03-2012 7:21pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 512 ✭✭✭

Hi, this course is one of my CAO choices. It looks like a pretty good course. :) Looking at it's content, eg. ThermoFluids, Maths for Technology, Electronics, Aerodynamics etc, I was wondering what these are like? Like are they difficult? Are they full of maths and physics? Complicated stuff? Also was wondering what AT is like overall. From what I hear it's great craic - visiting the CityJet hangar and working with old aircraft etc. From experience what's it like?
    Cheers,

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 613 ✭✭✭Darius.Tr

Hi gary, the course has been recently discussed here : http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2056457995

• Closed Accounts Posts: 512 ✭✭✭GaryIrv93

Darius.Tr wrote: »
    Hi gary, the course has been recently discussed here : http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2056457995

I'm aware of that and visited that thread a couple times already, but no one seems to be commenting on it anymore so wanted to make my own one to find out more from more people doing the course,

Now, I know that points are based on demand for all courses, so I know I won't get a definite estimate. However I visited Bolton St a few months ago at the open day and was told that this course's points would very likely be moving up from 285 last year to possibly past the 300's this year. Would anyone be able to give me even a rough guess of how much I'd need? If I did get it this year would I be able to reserve my place in the course next year,(?) which is when I'm planning to start college.

Admittedly I'm kind of worried about not making it in, especially now that it seems to have moved up quite a few points. If I didn't get it in the end, would I have more of a chance or even a guarantee next year if I took a PLC course in Electronics for example? Any PLC that would involve material relevent to AT?

GaryIrv93 wrote: »
    Now, I know that points are based on demand for all courses, so I know I won't get a definite estimate. However I visited Bolton St a few months ago at the open day and was told that this course's points would very likely be moving up from 285 last year to possibly past the 300's this year. Would anyone be able to give me even a rough guess of how much I'd need? If I did get it this year would I be able to reserve my place in the course next year,(?) which is when I'm planning to start college.

Admittedly I'm kind of worried about not making it in, especially now that it seems to have moved up quite a few points. If I didn't get it in the end, would I have more of a chance or even a guarantee next year if I took a PLC course in Electronics for example? Any PLC that would involve material relevent to AT?

UPDATE: I thought it over about deferring for a year if I get the course a while ago but I'm thinking now it would be much less hassle to simply start college this year if I get this course. However I'm worrying a hell of a lot over the LC results even though the exams didn't seem to go badly and therefore worrying that I won't get in. If I happened to fail Maths (my biggest worry) would a PLC in something such as Electronics or something else relevant that is studied in AT give me a good chance of getting in next year despite the event of failing Maths in the Leaving Cert?

• Registered Users Posts: 59 ✭✭dannye92

UPDATE: I thought it over about deferring for a year if I get the course a while ago but I'm thinking now it would be much less hassle to simply start college this year if I get this course. However I'm worrying a hell of a lot over the LC results even though the exams didn't seem to go badly and therefore worrying that I won't get in. If I happened to fail Maths (my biggest worry) would a PLC in something such as Electronics or something else relevant that is studied in AT give me a good chance of getting in next year despite the event of failing Maths in the Leaving Cert?

I wouldn't know about what PLC to apply for if you wanted to do AT the following year you'd be better off emailing DIT.

• Advertisement

dannye92 wrote: »
    I wouldn't know about what PLC to apply for if you wanted to do AT the following year you'd be better off emailing DIT.

I haven't actually applied to a PLC but just in case I don't make it in, there should be plenty of vacancies in Science/Engineering related PLC courses around Dublin that would study more or less some of the same material as Aviation Tech, which (hopefully) would give me a good chance of getting in next year, or so I've been told.

• Registered Users Posts: 59 ✭✭dannye92

I haven't actually applied to a PLC but just in case I don't make it in, there should be plenty of vacancies in Science/Engineering related PLC courses around Dublin that would study more or less some of the same material as Aviation Tech, which (hopefully) would give me a good chance of getting in next year, or so I've been told.

Hopefully you get in anyway and hopefully see you around Bolton St. in September :)

Hopefully you get in anyway and hopefully see you around Bolton St. in September :)

Same here, but fingers crossed! :p I'll just have to hope for the best!

Advertisement