Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

What accessories should I get with my ipad

• 23-03-2012 7:49pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 3,399 ✭✭✭

I've decided to get a 32GB wifi only one (as I can tether it to my iPhone - correct?). What add on should I get though. The sd card reader perhaps? a cover? A screen protector? Anything else?

I want to go into the shop knowing what I need instead of buying something I don't. Thanks

Comments

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 22,680 CMod ✭✭✭✭Sad Professor

I wouldn't bother with a screen protector. Unless you think you are going to drop it, get one of Apple's smart covers.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,718 ✭✭✭johnayo

The smart cover is essential. Great piece of kit.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,317 ✭✭✭CombatCow

I got a dark grey smart cover and low profile back cover from Amazon: http://www.amazon.co.uk/iTALKonline-ProGel-TRANSPARENT-generation-GENUINE/dp/B004YT7240/ref=sr_1_1?s=electronics&ie=UTF8&qid=1332530536&sr=1-1

Its really great, fits very snugly and the cut-outs for the buttons etc are perfect, id highly recommend one to protect the back of the device. I had a hard time finding an ipad 3 compatible cover in a B&M store.

If you want some better pics then what's on the amazon site I can attach some.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,089 ✭✭✭henryporter

Only thing I don't like about the smart cover is the landscape only choice when it's folded as a prop, apart from that it's deadly.

Depending on what you're doing with the iPad some kind of stylus might come n handy.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,018 ✭✭✭✭adox

I just ordered one of these covers. Have one on my ipad 1 and love it:

http://us.thesnugg.com/ipad-3-cases/snugg-ipad-3-case-cover-and-flip-stand-in-black-leather.aspx

Not sure about getting a screen protector. Again have one on my ipad 1 but unless you want one to reduce glare or something like that, I dont think they are that important.

• Advertisement

adox wrote: »
    I just ordered one of these covers. Have one on my ipad 1 and love it:

http://us.thesnugg.com/ipad-3-cases/snugg-ipad-3-case-cover-and-flip-stand-in-black-leather.aspx

Not sure about getting a screen protector. Again have one on my ipad 1 but unless you want one to reduce glare or something like that, I dont think they are that important.

Actually decided to cancel this and go for the smart cover. May also go for the back cover that CombatCow linked. Can you confirm you are using it on the new ipad?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 689 ✭✭✭avalon68

I wouldn't bother with a screen protector. Unless you think you are going to drop it, get one of Apple's smart covers.

I don't think anyone plans on dropping it :P. I've seen two iPad 2 get shattered this week.....one guy was grabbing a coffee and the iPad fell....even though it landed on carpet it smashed. I'll admit I hugged mine very tightly and shuddered when I saw that happen! Always thought I was safe enough on carpet :o

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 100 ✭✭Ur[s]uS

I've decided to get a 32GB wifi only one (as I can tether it to my iPhone - correct?). What add on should I get though. The sd card reader perhaps? a cover? A screen protector? Anything else?

I want to go into the shop knowing what I need instead of buying something I don't. Thanks

You can use iPhone as "Personal Hotspot" and connect your iPad to the wifi or bluetooth network the iPhone will broadcast. It works a treat. It's same reason I went wifi-only. If we had 4G/LTE here, maybe I'd have jumped for the cellular model.

Good idea to get a cover. The smart covers are nice.

I have the SD card reader. It's fine for quickly getting photos onto the iPad, but mainly for display, not as part of your workflow. You have to be so careful not to lose resolution or quality. If you edit, make sure your preferred editing app has output at full resolution. Also, it's hard work getting your photos back off the iPad without losing resolution or quality. The Dropbox app, with Settings at "Original" quality is one good way.

I've never used a screen protector and never will. I prefer to leave oleophobic screen do it's business and wipe with microfibre cloth after the fingerprints get too much for me.

I did get the HDMI output cable and use it a fair bit to get iPad onto my TV, like when using BBC iPlayer or Blinkbox apps.

Enjoy.

I got a smart cover at the weekend and don't really like it. Quite awkward too using it on the couch.

I've gone back to my original plan and have order the Snugg case. Ordered direct off them and changed the currency to dollars, much cheaper that way.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,506 ✭✭✭Oafley Jones

I got a smart cover at the weekend and don't really like it. Quite awkward too using it on the couch.

I've gone back to my original plan and have order the Snugg case. Ordered direct off them and changed the currency to dollars, much cheaper that way.

Not a fan of the smart cover either. Often find I just take it off, they're not that great in terms of protection either.

• Advertisement

Not a fan of the smart cover either. Often find I just take it off, they're not that great in terms of protection either.

I have it up on adverts but wonder can I return it to the shop for a refund? Have it back in the packaging it came in but really sure if I can return and ask for a refund.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,146 ✭✭✭CathalDublin

I use a smart case but it offers little protection to the iPad and the magnet wouldn't be the strongest either, it's an original one bought from apple too.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,280 ✭✭✭✭mdwexford

I'm liking the smart cover on mine. Just wanted something covering the screen when it's not in use.

Stand is handy as well rather than just having it flat or having to hold the iPad

mdwexford wrote: »
    I'm liking the smart cover on mine. Just wanted something covering the screen when it's not in use.

Stand is handy as well rather than just having it flat or having to hold the iPad

Most of my usage is on the couch with the iPad on my lap. I find that the smart cover doesnt sit well in this position. Plus I just dont like it but thats a presonal preference. Im used to a full book like cover.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 22,680 CMod ✭✭✭✭Sad Professor

Would you not just pull the cover off when using the iPad?

I only have mine a few days, but i have to say i really like it. I'm not a fan of cases so it suits me perfectly.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,814 ✭✭✭Nemanja91

I have an apple smart cover, a belkin loop holder and a griffin neoprene case which i got in PC World for 3 euro.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,091 ✭✭✭Louche Lad

I recommend a proper protective cover (I use this one). Otherwise it's like a bar of soap.

Also, I have a separate bluetooth keyboard.

Would you not just pull the cover off when using the iPad?

I only have mine a few days, but i have to say i really like it. I'm not a fan of cases so it suits me perfectly.

I did in the end but I`m used to having it sit at an angle on my lap. I bought my iPad 1 when in the States in May 2010 and have had it in the Snugg case pretty much since then. Its what Im used to I suppose but I definitely prefer the book case style. I find the iPad quite slippy to hold in the nude.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,184 ✭✭✭Kenno90

i bought the smart cover and don't think its that great, it says on the back of the box its for ipad two. when its covering the screen its great, stays on and everything, but when i wrap it around the back of the ipad , the magnets are not strong enough and it falls away.

Might bring it back

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 311 ✭✭siobhanoh

I had an iPad 1 with a leather case and I loved it but in the club I work in we use iPad2s for the guestlist and the smart cover really annoys me. I was used to being able to hold my ipad1 by the cover and tried to do that with the ipad2 without thinking and of course the smart cover just came right away and the ipad hit the floor (surprisingly no damage TG). For my new iPad I just ordered this one but it really is very childish! I got a cheap smart cover on adverts.ie so hopefully that will come tomorrow but I know I won't be happy with it. I wish the ebay sellers would hurry up and make cheap versions of everything for the new ipad...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,317 ✭✭✭CombatCow

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,001 ✭✭✭✭opinion guy

I wouldn't bother with a screen protector.

+1,000

I tried to put a screen protector on mine. Not a good idea. Frigging impossible to get all the bubbles out, and I noticed where I did get the thing on - it blurred the retina display (was a matte finish protector).

I took it off straight away - waste of money.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,454 ✭✭✭jamesd

I wouldn't bother with a screen protector.

+1,000

I tried to put a screen protector on mine. Not a good idea. Frigging impossible to get all the bubbles out, and I noticed where I did get the thing on - it blurred the retina display (was a matte finish protector).

I took it off straight away - waste of money.

Get a Moshi ivisor screen protector and you won't have any bother.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,448 ✭✭✭JoeA3

I don't see the point of screen protectors. That lovely screen and you cover it in bubbly matt plastic?! No thanks!

I have an iPhone 4 for the best part of 18 months... I've never had a cover on it. It gets put into my pocket along with keys, coins, etc and there's barely a mark on it.

I like the smart-cover (although it's ridiculously over-priced), particularly the auto sleep function when you close it. And for the odd occasion I do take it out of the house, I've ordered one of these, which seems like great value and it gets great reviews:

http://www.amazon.co.uk/exec/obidos/ASIN/B003LPW8L0/ref=ox_ya_os_product

It retails for $60 - $70 in some places!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,069 ✭✭✭RoryMurphyJnr

I've a screen protector on my iPad 1 (it is possible to put it on without bubbles) mainly due to a small member of the family using it mainly with sticky fingers.
    Wipe it clean with a screen clean and dry with a kitchen towel.

Defo get a case, to cover both back and front

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 25,558 Mod ✭✭✭✭Dades

We have one of these cases for our work iPad 1, and I really want to get one for my new iPad (3rd gen).

21a6IpvVgpL._SL500_AA300_.jpg

I've two kids and this case is grippy and shock absorbent, without being bulky.

Anyone know if they make these for the iPad 2 or 3? I tried my new iPad in the work one and it's too lose.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,001 ✭✭✭✭opinion guy

Dades wrote: »
    We have one of these cases for our work iPad 1, and I really want to get one for my new iPad (3rd gen).

Anyone know if they make these for the iPad 2 or 3? I tried my new iPad in the work one and it's too lose.

Yeah my folks have this case. AFAIK these cases were replaced by the smart case.
    But do you not find this case adds bulk and weight to the ipad ?

Dades wrote: »

Thats the offical one right? Was only made for the iPad 1. I have a Snugg case on my iPad 1 which is similar to the one you linked, maybe not as slim but its been great for the best part of two years. It has magnets on the closure too so it stays closed when your fold it over.

They have one for the new iPad that I have ordered. I`ll let you know what its like when it arrives but from the images it looks very similar to the original. It also is supposed to activate the sleep/wake function when open and closed.

If you do decide to order one order direct form their site. Its £29.99 + shipping on Amazon. Its the same on their site but what I did was change the currency to dollars. It came up at $29.99 an only $4 for shipping(Again much cheaper). Google for a discount code for the site and you should get another 10% off.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 25,558 Mod ✭✭✭✭Dades

Yeah my folks have this case. AFAIK these cases were replaced by the smart case.
    But do you not find this case adds bulk and weight to the ipad ?
    :(

Sure, the case adds a certain amount of bulk and weight but I'll be using the iPad at home rather than on the move, and it needs to be safe from grabby hands.

That original case was seriously snug and practical, though. I can't imagine why they discontinued it.
    Thats the offical one right? Was only made for the iPad 1. I have a Snugg case on my iPad 1 which is similar to the one you linked, maybe not as slim but its been great for the best part of two years. It has magnets on the closure too so it stays closed when your fold it over.

They have one for the new iPad that I have ordered. I`ll let you know what its like when it arrives but from the images it looks very similar to the original. It also is supposed to activate the sleep/wake function when open and closed.
    Thanks, let us know how you find it. The "leather" effect is definitely bulkier than the original case, but I'm not seeing much alternative in the "wallet" section of the market.

This one might also be a runner...

Advertisement