Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Chinese Takeaway

Options
  • 23-03-2012 8:12pm
    Registered Users Posts: 274 ✭✭

Anybody aware of a really good Chinese Takeaway in Dublin - i.e. with quality comparable to Bombay Pantry? Every one I've tried has been very disappointing.

You'd have thought with all the good Chinese places opened on Parnell St/Moore St/Capel St in recent years, it would have translated to the takeaways, but it doesn't seem to be the case.

Any ideas people?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7,627 ✭✭✭Lawrence1895

The 'Golden Grain' in Killester is not too bad

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,402 ✭✭✭nxbyveromdwjpg

No, good thread though, ill be following the responses.

Wongs in ranelagh is probably the best i can think of but expensive and it still doesn't compare to all the Thai takeaways, a GOOD chinese would be a nice find

• Registered Users Posts: 274 ✭✭duckworth

Why was my thread moved?? I specifically wanted to ask the question to people who are into their food.

Surely it suits the food forum better..

• Closed Accounts Posts: 15,515 ✭✭✭✭admiralofthefleet

ming in edenmore, regent in killester, and fortune cookie in harolds cross are all good, imo

• Registered Users Posts: 750 ✭✭✭Pretty Polly

Camille Thai in Dublin 7 is very nice. I got sick of the standard sweet and sour dishes! Its pricey compared to others but i think its worth it. Stay away from the ones on Moore Street...disaster!!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 919 ✭✭✭RVD420

Flaming Wok on Fairview Strand is pretty decent, never had a bad order from the place.

Here's their menu.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 24,878 ✭✭✭✭arybvtcw0eolkf

duckworth wrote: »
    Why was my thread moved??

Just out of interest where did you originally post this thread?.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,738 ✭✭✭Jay D

Wongs I thought were more of a restaurant than a take away. Does the one in Ranalagh do take away? I'd say Eatzen is pretty good, Clonee.

Other than that I don't know, has to be said the standard is pretty crap.

Edit: actually remember trying to order from Wongs a few years ago, delivering to Castleknock only, even though I lived literally across the road from "Castleknock" they wouldn't go that far, ah.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,208 ✭✭✭coco_lola

+1 to Flaming Wok in Fairview. I order from there and they deliver pretty quick, good food, and value for money.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,815 ✭✭✭Hannibal

Pearl river in Phibsboro is 10/10

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4,402 ✭✭✭nxbyveromdwjpg

Jay D wrote: »
    Wongs I thought were more of a restaurant than a take away. Does the one in Ranalagh do take away?

They deliver now yea

• Registered Users Posts: 1,039 ✭✭✭face1990

+1 Flaming Wok. I try other places but always end up going back to them.

• Registered Users Posts: 274 ✭✭duckworth

Just out of interest where did you originally post this thread?.

The food forum.

• Registered Users Posts: 129 ✭✭rodrob111

New Victora Dorset St.

Massive portions and lovely food also deliver till 2 in mornin.

• Registered Users Posts: 464 ✭✭Marcin_diy

+1 Eatzen Clonee and Ashbourne. My favourite restaurant and take-away

• Registered Users Posts: 1,091 ✭✭✭hattoncracker

San sans in Santry.. Amazeballs!! Used to be my local Chinese til I moved

HI Lan on Capel street is just divine.. You can get takeaway there too!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 947 ✭✭✭zef

Garden House in Blanch village is pretty nice, i've never gotten anything dodgy out of there in 15 yrs, reccommend.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,405 ✭✭✭NewFrockTuesday

Camille Thai in Dublin 7 is very nice. I got sick of the standard sweet and sour dishes! Its pricey compared to others but i think its worth it. Stay away from the ones on Moore Street...disaster!!

I remember going into Wongs in Clontarf a few years ago - 2005ish - and asking did they do take away. The guy laughed at me and turned on his heel! I was mortified. I took it as a no anyway!

Im not mad about Chinese food but Camile as mentioned before is the best food from an oriential take away that I have had. But paying €70 for food for 3 people to be delivered was a bit much so I havent ordered again, nice and all as it was.

Wans Garden in Killester is nice. I use there mostly.

Chinese take aways must be a licence to print money I would say. And they seem to be springing up all over the place now. I get at least 3 brochures in my door every week.

• Registered Users Posts: 750 ✭✭✭Pretty Polly

rodrob111 wrote: »
    New Victora Dorset St.

Massive portions and lovely food also deliver till 2 in mornin.

Yeah i must try that place. I ordered from Do Son which is another place on Dorset street and the sweet and sour that i got was awful. It was inedible!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,126 ✭✭✭Gileadi

Yeah i must try that place. I ordered from Do Son which is another place on Dorset street and the sweet and sour that i got was awful. It was inedible!

I wouldn't recommend that place, I got something from there about 6 months ago and it stayed down for all of 20 mins before getting sick (I wasn't ill and hadn't been drinking), then about a month ago my flatmate got a 3 in 1, again not drinking and not ill, same result, getting sick half the night.

edit: to confirm I'm talking about New Victoria on Dorset St

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 89 ✭✭Maserati23

I remember going into Wongs in Clontarf a few years ago - 2005ish - and asking did they do take away. The guy laughed at me and turned on his heel! I was mortified. I took it as a no anyway!

Im not mad about Chinese food but Camile as mentioned before is the best food from an oriential take away that I have had. But paying €70 for food for 3 people to be delivered was a bit much so I havent ordered again, nice and all as it was.

Wans Garden in Killester is nice. I use there mostly.

Chinese take aways must be a licence to print money I would say. And they seem to be springing up all over the place now. I get at least 3 brochures in my door every week.

I met the owner of Wongs Clontarf, last week he was opening the place up about 10.30 am, Excellent food and take-away menu, I have it in the car if you want to see it.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,135 ✭✭✭TheVoodoo

Anytime i'm back in Dublin, i'll usually try a few different places. I tried Camille twice, had problems both times and e-mailed them; to which they never bothered to reply. Obviously I wont be giving them my custom again.

Flaming Wok is quite nice and would get my vote, but I wouldn't put it on a par with Bombay Pantry-esque food though.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,194 ✭✭✭Corruptedmorals

New Millenium South King Street is lovely and does takeaway, it's beside the Gaeity.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 15,515 ✭✭✭✭admiralofthefleet

New Millenium South King Street is lovely and does takeaway, it's beside the Gaeity.

im not a fan of chinese, id prefer an indian over one any day but i have to say that place is very nice

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,405 ✭✭✭NewFrockTuesday

Maserati23 wrote: »
    I met the owner of Wongs Clontarf, last week he was opening the place up about 10.30 am, Excellent food and take-away menu, I have it in the car if you want to see it.

I wasnt saying the food wasnt great - I dont think Ive ever heard an account where people have said it wasnt the best Chinese food they had ever eaten.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,624 ✭✭✭Dancor

Rising Pheonix above Cumiskeys pub on Black Horse avenue, yum yum.

Their satay is the best ive had.

• Registered Users Posts: 12 zzhihui

There is no good Chinese take aways in Dublin I am afraid. But Chinese food is so much better than Thai food, just find the right restaurant.

• Registered Users Posts: 129 ✭✭rodrob111

Gileadi wrote: »
    I wouldn't recommend that place, I got something from there about 6 months ago and it stayed down for all of 20 mins before getting sick (I wasn't ill and hadn't been drinking), then about a month ago my flatmate got a 3 in 1, again not drinking and not ill, same result, getting sick half the night.

edit: to confirm I'm talking about New Victoria on Dorset St

Just gotta say must be bad luck cause me and herself have eaten here lots of times and always been impressed.

Best noodles in Dublin

• Registered Users Posts: 3,357 ✭✭✭snappieT

Lotus Garden in fairview..... lovely grub outa their too.. sit in or takeaway

You're kidding, right? I assume by "good" Chinese, the OP didn't mean "so bad it's good", where "bad" means "tray of grease".

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 151 ✭✭Nedser101

Hoiwon in Finglas village awesome !

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement