Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

young farmers

• 23-03-2012 9:08pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 197 ✭✭

hi all, read the journal 2day nd less than 7% of farmers in this country are under 35, shocking to say that there is f all help for young farmers to get them on there feet regardless of enterprise, I no a young lad that applied to buy milk quota in the trading scheme and all he got ws 30000lt, how is that suppose to get him up and on his feet, i no it better than nothing but jesus there should be some leeway for the likes him starting out and give him a chance as if it was us again starting out we woukd delighted of help, farming is the oldest occupation and we should be encouraging young blood into our culture not turning them against it, rant over:D

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,786 ✭✭✭✭whelan1

First time i applied for quota i got 3000 gallons, next year i got 8000 gallons and the next year i got 20,000 gallons:eek: .. this was all under the young farmer scheme and and the most i paid was £2.50 a gallon, so young farmers today have it easy compared to now in my book

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 725 ✭✭✭6480

whelan1 wrote: »
    First time i applied for quota i got 3000 gallons, next year i got 8000 gallons and the next year i got 20,000 gallons:eek: .. this was all under the young farmer scheme and and the most i paid was £2.50 a gallon, so young farmers today have it easy compared to now in my book

very easy for a big suckler man with 80 grand of a sfp to get into milk now , as a small dairy farmer from a quota of 8000 gals in 83 and now 65000 we didnt get it near as handy to get buying quota and as being committed to dairying our sfp is less than 15 grand

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,786 ✭✭✭✭whelan1

6480 wrote: »
    very easy for a big suckler man with 80 grand of a sfp to get into milk now , as a small dairy farmer from a quota of 8000 gals in 83 and now 65000 we didnt get it near as handy to get buying quota and as being committed to dairying our sfp is less than 15 grand
    have to agree, i had to build seperate facilities to my father, built a 6 unit parlour and put in 56 cubicles- which the sucklers now are wintered in:rolleyes:- and easy feed system on an outfarm, at least their is a partnership option now... had to milk 4 times a day for 6 years, milked my fathers herd too:cool:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,142 ✭✭✭rancher

6480 wrote: »

Wouldn't be that sure of dairying now, 100% increase expected in Waterford/East cork, good few big suckler men in conversion as you say,developement money buying nice farms with dairying in mind, starting to sound like another bubble, the final kiss of death is the fact that the banks are throwing money at it.......young famers beware

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,053 ✭✭✭kevthegaff

im 29 and i started 4 yrs ago, had to buy me own quota at 25c/litre, sec hand parlour, cows etc. There is better schemes now for starting eg dairy equip scheme, new entrant scheme. price was 20c litre the first yr i started:mad:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 224 ✭✭Conflats

Wel all i can say as a young lad is the opportunity to get into farming is very difficult and it not the quota situation(there is more to farming than milking cows imo ;) ) it's the availablity of land, the closing of the early retirement scheme was one of the worst decisions for farming made in recent years. Their is no start up scheme and most likely wont be (for obvious reasons) but even trying to rent a bit of land is crazy down to the lads renting it up over the thoughts of reference years etc, have to support coveny with the plan to top up young farmers sfp

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 514 ✭✭✭Dazzler88

Definitely agree here.A major problem in farming today is the ageing population.I see guys round us 70 and 80 years of age with big acreage but very little stock because they can't keep going.
    But then after the last few budgets there is no incentive for older farmers to get out of it,far too much in succession tax and inheritance.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,329 ✭✭✭redzerologhlen

Conflats wrote: »
    Wel all i can say as a young lad is the opportunity to get into farming is very difficult and it not the quota situation(there is more to farming than milking cows imo ;) ) it's the availablity of land, the closing of the early retirement scheme was one of the worst decisions for farming made in recent years. Their is no start up scheme and most likely wont be (for obvious reasons) but even trying to rent a bit of land is crazy down to the lads renting it up over the thoughts of reference years etc, have to support coveny with the plan to top up young farmers sfp

Agree 100%, whatever about getting rid of the installation aid but getting rid of the early farm retirement scheme didnt benefit anybody!!

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 12,705 Mod ✭✭✭✭blue5000

Dazzler88 wrote: »
    Definitely agree here.A major problem in farming today is the ageing population.I see guys round us 70 and 80 years of age with big acreage but very little stock because they can't keep going.
    But then after the last few budgets there is no incentive for older farmers to get out of it,far too much in succession tax and inheritance.

I remember macra doing a survey about 20 yrs ago on when farmers got the land transferred to them. They were trying to show that anytime in the past when the gov gave ppl an incentive to transfer land farmers responded positively. The result of the survey was installation aid. Maybe young farmers today could repeat this survey?

If the seat's wet, sit on yer hat, a cool head is better than a wet ar5e.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,343 ✭✭✭bob charles

Available acres is my big problem, just nothing available at all irrespective of the price. Most of the useless farmers around here are in Reps and getting over 100 an acre to grow weeds and not maintain the farm. Why would they ever bother to lease when they get that sort of soft money. Also guys needing land to draw down payments carrying only the required animal per 5 acres. the sooner SFP goes the better as until then F all of a increase in production can occur.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,716 ✭✭✭1chippy

Farming shouldnt be easy to get into. if it was every half arsed crusty with a desire to grow there own animals,knit their own jumpers and go back during the week and tell their neighbours in dublin sort of person would be stuck at it for short bursts, getting sick of the whole thing and just abandoning good land as a result.
    Farming is a business at the end of the day, it takes a good few years to gain the knowledge to run such a business.
    How many self employed in any business are under 35
    we can gripe and argue but these people have worked all their lives to get the farm to where it is . It is probably the security of it but it may just be them making sure the person its being handed it will actually use it.

theres a lot of people out there that would be completly abandoned and never listened to if they signed over their farm.

Advertisement