Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Do employers check references? *part time jobs*

Options
  • 23-03-2012 9:43pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 3,296 ✭✭✭

do they do you think? like i dont really have any specific numbers for anyone i worked for, i have people who i could get recommendations from but it just be names and the store they worked in and number of that store.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 786 ✭✭✭qrrgprgua

Yes. They do. Just give them a Teacher or professors name.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,004 ✭✭✭ironclaw

Depends on the job. Generally they only do for skilled work or if there is an irregularity in what your saying. Doesn't necessarily have to be a bad thing.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,847 ✭✭✭HavingCrack

It's 50-50 really. Remember that doctor working for the HSE a few years back who had been struck off the medical register as unfit to practice in the UK??
    References weren't checked, it's actually very common.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,572 ✭✭✭WeeBushy

For my last job my references weren't checked (I asked them). For the job before that one was... it really depends. For a part time, presumably fairly unskilled, job I would imagine its less likely that they check.

But think about it:

Your references are bogus and they find out: no chance of getting the job.

Your references are tenuous (a Tesco manager who doesn't remember you from Adam) or potentially not that relevant (a lecturer, perhaps): maybe you get a generic reference. But its at least real.

If you want the job enough you'd find a direct contact or you'd at least be honest and put in the closest contact details you have.

/imo

Edit: Sorry, I came on a bit aggressive there. I didn't read your OP properly and took it that you weren't bothered by your references. Apologies.

If I were you I'd put down the best contact details you have or can get. If it is a fairly standard job I doubt they're going to be expecting fireworks from your references anyway. I would imagine that they would really be checking to make sure you're a functional human being.

• Registered Users Posts: 25 BarneyTrouble

Just have on your CV References available on request

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 705 ✭✭✭keepkeyyellow

References are a pain, my main reference the place I worked for 4 years in, she never picks up the phone because the shop closed down and she thinks they're all creditors

• Registered Users Posts: 1,362 ✭✭✭Pandoras Twist

References are a pain, my main reference the place I worked for 4 years in, she never picks up the phone because the shop closed down and she thinks they're all creditors

Get a written reference

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,847 ✭✭✭HavingCrack

Get a written reference

Good luck with that, nowhere accepts or asks for written references anymore. Academic references for postgraduate work etc. yes, actual employment, no.

Advertisement