Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Decision about crèche opinions needed

Options
  • 23-03-2012 10:08pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,174 ✭✭✭

So I'm going back to college in Sept and crumlin college have a community crèche beside which would only be €50 a week full time whereas the one she in would cost me €175 a week for 3 days! So far it looks a easy decision however!

The community crèche is about a hour away by car or bus, it's in a roughish area. Whereas the crèche she's in is 2 min away, she loves the minders there, she is settled there.

I'm just not sure I'm not rich only get €230 a week but could have savings of about €2500 to help top up crèche fees!

What would you do

Comments

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 18,953 Mod ✭✭✭✭Moonbeam

This is a hard one:(
    I would go check out the community creche and get a feeling for it.
    I am involved with one in Balbriggan and it is a wonderful place.
    I did not send my daughter there because it did not suit us.
    If she is ha[[y where she is it is going to be hard but you also need money to survive.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,174 ✭✭✭bulmersgal

Moonbeam wrote: »
    This is a hard one:(
    I would go check out the community creche and get a feeling for it.
    I am involved with one in Balbriggan and it is a wonderful place.
    I did not send my daughter there because it did not suit us.
    If she is ha[[y where she is it is going to be hard but you also need money to survive.

I live at home so wouldn't have to worry about bills or rent, only car expenses and that paid up till jan.

It's so hard as both crèches are new, I just love the crèche she's in now, trust them so much and they love her there and she loves them

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 18,953 Mod ✭✭✭✭Moonbeam

Maybe that is your question answered so.
    Is it viable to plan to have her there for the remainder of college? will you be able to do with out treats for both of you as the money is paying creche fees?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,893 ✭✭✭Hannibal Smith

I'd be tempted to go with the one the little one is more settled in :/

Moonbeam wrote: »
    Maybe that is your question answered so.
    Is it viable to plan to have her there for the remainder of college? will you be able to do with out treats for both of you as the money is paying creche fees?

I think it just might be, I got her a zoo pass and aqua zone membership for her 2nd birthday in few weeks so we'll still have fun days out.

I'll only be in this college for a year and then either in maynooth or tallaght for next few, she'll be in free preschool year and then school so shouldn't be as dear!

Think I'll just go with one she happy in and try save between now and September so I won't be too broke. I will go look at other crèche nearer time and her name is down for it, just in case it might be great crèche too.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 42 ROZLYN

Hi bulmersgal,
    I think you'd be making the right decision for both of you if you go with the creche she is in already. If you go for the other community creche regardless of where it is or price, think of that hour drive eating into your time each day, time you'll need for study and spending time with your daughter. Better quality of life so happy mommy and happy baby.

I think you are making the right decision too:)
    It is only for a year and she is happy there,it would be different if it was longterm.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,175 ✭✭✭hoodwinked

does the college have a creche you could get her into? it might be a third option as they should have special student rates or a student assistance fund.

we had a choice of a creche nearer home, or the creche in the college both were excellent so i chose the college creche as it meant i would be collecting her straight away after i was finished which gave us the commute home to talk/play..etc rather her being in creche an extra hour while i was coming home in traffic,

being near college also means if i have a 2 or more hours free i can go see her or go for lunch or whatever.

if the creche thats cheaper is a long commute for you and out of the way, i would try for the more expensive one that she is settled in and see if you can make it work.

hoodwinked wrote: »
    does the college have a creche you could get her into? it might be a third option as they should have special student rates or a student assistance fund.

we had a choice of a creche nearer home, or the creche in the college both were excellent so i chose the college creche as it meant i would be collecting her straight away after i was finished which gave us the commute home to talk/play..etc rather her being in creche an extra hour while i was coming home in traffic,

being near college also means if i have a 2 or more hours free i can go see her or go for lunch or whatever.

if the creche thats cheaper is a long commute for you and out of the way, i would try for the more expensive one that she is settled in and see if you can make it work.

The crèche is right beside college which is a hour away, I haven't decided if I will be using bus which would be 45 minutes then another about 10 min or driving which would be half hour without traffic but I think crumlin would be full of traffic.

How do you know a Creche is good, I heard good things about my crèche and it's in lovely area, loads of outside time. She will be out of crèche for about two months this summer so she still will have to settle into both

• Registered Users Posts: 42 ROZLYN

Having read the last two posts it jogged my memory...a friend of mine in college years ago had her little baby in the college creche so it meant she could go visit if couple of hrs off between classes (similar to what hoodwinked said). Also, if your little one got sick you'd be close to her.

In addition, with the community creche so close it means if you have to go somewhere straight after college it's very handy to pick her up and just go rather than have to go all the way home.

The fact that she'll be out of creche for two months during the summer I would suss out the other one before you rule it out. Defo go and visit.

Few pros and cons for both options :confused:. Sorry if I've confused you with my conflicting posts but having put more thought in this is what I've come up with.

Best of luck with decision :)...

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 5 Grande

I'd defo go with the cheaper creche. As you said she'll be out of creche over the summer so it'll be the same to her wherever she goes back to. Kids have a ball when they're once they're with other kids. I'd much prefer to have my daughter close by. As another poster said you'll have extra time with her on the commute and if sh'e ill you can go straight in to collect her.
    You savings will soon run out with those fees. You never know what else will crop up and your safety net will be gone.
    Good luck with it all.

Advertisement